The Media's Treatment of the Leafs #NoComment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Unless he's really stupid and denies knowing the tweet would end up in TSN's cache by using the hashtag.
The few times when there was no tweets being shown, TSN showed the hashtag #TradeCentre. So there is no excuse for Anthony Adragna to say he had no idea it would possibly not end up on TV.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Can TSN sue Anthony Adragna then? He hashtagged his tweet. He wanted it aired on TV.

I was thinking he actually might be able to sue them, as they're supposed to have a quality control check in place for things like that. Or that his intended forum was people on twitter that were following along in the discussion and not TSN

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
Cyber Bullying is often done by school kids who will start a false rumour about another student in order to make them look bad to the rest of the community. Yes, I believe these types of unfounded tweets can amount to starting false stories and create a rumour that a player is doing something that he isn't.
Why would any tweeter even write this kind of crap?
If he is sued, it will send a message that others too can be sued. Yes, there are thousands of defamatory tweets out there, but society has to start somewhere and this guy could be a starting point.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Unless he's really stupid and denies knowing the tweet would end up in TSN's cache by using the hashtag.

Not directed at you specifically but civil law can find shades of grey. Like the kid can be 30 percent at fault and tsn 70. Just because tsn ultimately posted it from a pool he put it there

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't James Duthie say if you want to join in on the conversation on Twitter use the hashtag #TradeCentre? If so Anthony Adragna can not say he had no idea it might be shown on TV.

EDDIE20*

I was thinking he actually might be able to sue them, as they're supposed to have a quality control check in place for things like that. Or that his intended forum was people on twitter that were following along in the discussion and not TSN

Good point although TSN's defence would be "Yes, we maintain quality control but why did you send such a comment our way?".

Not directed at you specifically but civil law can find shades of grey. Like the kid can be 30 percent at fault and tsn 70. Just because tsn ultimately posted it from a pool he put it there

Oh definitely.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
New Kinda of Goon Needed

Cathal Kelly. Here's the thing about Cathal Kelly.

He appears to be a moneyed gent that went to university on mumzie and daddies' tick, went onto journalism school in the hopes that someday he might join the masses and get a real job - oooo just think of it!

This is a guess on my part because he doesn't reveal much in this Toronto Life interview about his personal life:

Cathal Kelly: In lieu of anything better to do after being coughed out into the world by the University of Toronto, I went to Ryerson to study journalism. Was pretty goddamned mediocre at it. Puttered around for the better part of five years, here and in Europe, doing drudge work and surviving. Found my way into a bottom of the totem pole position at the Canadian offices of Time magazine. Managed to use that to get a copy editing contract at the Globe. In turn, parlayed that into a copy editing contract at the Star. After a while, began pestering the Sports editor, Graham Parley, to let me write on soccer. After a cruel series of rejections, he finally did. And then, since I had not screwed that up too badly, he offered me the baseball beat when Geoff Baker left the Star for fame and (probably not) fortune in the States. Left that after a couple of years. Did a little feature writing and such. Was given a sports column.

In the Globe today Cathal attacks Phil for not being (essentially) smarter. Cathal writes about Phil the way a PHD in English would banter urbanely about whether Jaques Derrida intended to be taken seriously or was just playing his league of adoring fans.

Phil is a hockey player from Minny who didn't go to university. He spends every single day from September to April eating thinking or playing hackey. He doesn't spend that time concocting the most clever response to turn the tables on the educated arse, holes that submit twisted stories day after day about how stupid and fat and overpaid he is.

I think to make the "playing field" more fair or even for these guys - the Toronto Maple Leafs should recruit the cleverest satirists graduating from Toronto universities and set them to work writing, criticizing, and combatting all the media twerps sic'd on the players of the Leafs.

A new kinda of enforcer is needed - a media enforcer - writers more clever, with more time, and more money than their media adversaries and tear them to shreds when they go after any Maple Leafs.

I also think they should troll these boards and chew you guys a new one for your treatment of the players as well.

My two cents. (BTW I deserve it for my stance on Gardiner I hubby admit)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Exactly. Simmons, Cox, Berger etc. have been trashing the team for years whether they're doing well or not.

Simmons, Feschuk and Berger are all tabloid type writers. All they do is stir stuff up and write ill-informed articles that they paint as facts but in some cases are outright lies.

They add nothing of value.

The Leafs should downright refuse to provide them with anything and eventually they'll become irrelevant and we as fans should refuse to acknowledge them. Just tune them out. Just like what happened to Strachan who did the same type of TMZ type reporting.

A lot of people don't like Cox but he isn't in the same group as the guys above.

Kessel or even other members of the Leafs aren't having a problem with all the media. Only certain members of it. For those saying the media deserve to be treated with respect saying its a 2-way street certain media members don't give the Leafs players respect, never have and never will. Asking Leafs players to treat guys Simmons, Berger and Feschuk who are A-Holes to these players is simply being nice. How nice would any of you be to ******** who have little to no knowledge of the game, print lies and are only there to stir ***** up?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

By using the hashtag he basically accepted the risk that it may be shown on air.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Simmons, Feschuk and Berger are all tabloid type writers. All they do is stir stuff up and write ill-informed articles that they paint as facts but in some cases are outright lies.

The Leafs should downright refuse to provide them with anything and eventually they'll become irrelevant and we as fans should refuse to acknowledge them. Just tune them out. Just like what happened to Strachan who did the same type of TMZ type reporting.

A lot of people don't like Cox but he isn't in the same group as the guys above.

Kessel or even other members of the Leafs aren't having a problem with all the media. Only certain members of it. For those saying the media deserve to be treated with respect saying its a 2-way street certain media members don't give the Leafs players respect, never have and never will. Asking Leafs players to treat guys Simmons, Berger and Feschuk who are A-Holes to these players is simply being nice. How nice would any of you be to ******** who have little to no knowledge of the game, print lies and are only there to stir ***** up?
Even if the Leafs denied Simmons, Feschuk and Berger access to the players or they just refuse to speak with them, won't they write something that says it's their obligation to speak with them and only make things worse with them and the media?

teleman

Dec 26, 2006
Using the hashtag doesn't guarantee the tweet is put on TSN but it does guarantee the tweet reaches a larger audience than his followers.
The speculation/rumours are out there. IMO he read about it and knew what he was doing when he added #Tradecentre.
His tweet that it was a private joke between friends after a friend's mother saw the speculation/rumours on the news sounds like covering his ass.

EDDIE20*

Even if the Leafs denied Simmons, Feschuk and Berger access to the players or they just refuse to speak with them, won't they write something that says it's their obligation to speak with them and only make things worse with them and the media?

Most likely they would complain about it in their next articles. Hell, they would probably contact Reimer's mother again.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I never understood why people have problems with Kessel as a person. He might be one of a handful of players in the NHL who aren't in this for the fame. He doesn't just not want the fame, he avoids it at all costs. Guys like Lupul, Kane, Kadri, they all love the spotlight. Phil just loves playing hockey.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Good point although TSN's defence would be "Yes, we maintain quality control but why did you send such a comment our way?".

Oh I agree with you completely, and I think the lawsuit is warranted. I'm merely thinking aloud on the topic

EDDIE20*

I never understood why people have problems with Kessel as a person. He might be one of a handful of players in the NHL who aren't in this for the fame. He doesn't just not want the fame, he avoids it at all costs. Guys like Lupul, Kane, Kadri, they all love the spotlight. Phil just loves playing hockey.

That's what I love about Kessel. He isn't flashy. You don't see him (purposely) drawing attention to himself.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The "nuance" is something you created to reconcile what you THINK reporting should be and what reporting is. Bias's don't have to get int he way, and Perspectives can skew how you view things.

When YOU think its ok, its perspective. When YOU don't think is it, its bias.

No, they aren't. Again, I suggest you WATCH the news and not just read about you think they should be.

Look, its right there in the professional code, its taught in all the schools. "We do not allow our own biases to impede fair and accurate reporting" Leeway is given because its impossible to be completely impartial, but there are lines that cannot be crossed such as publicly stating that how much you like someone will change what you write.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
By using the hashtag he basically accepted the risk that it may be shown on air.

Unless he assumed that TSN's control people would have kept it from coming to air. A lot of the time when I'm tweeting about the Leafs, I'll add #TMLtalk - not because I want to be included in the Leafs tweet of the night, but so that other people searching the hashtag on twitter will see it.

Though really it's all irrelevant anyways, because the fact that using the hashtag shows that he was trying to bring his tweet to an audience (whether it was TSN or people on twitter) makes him actionable IMO

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
That's what I love about Kessel. He isn't flashy. You don't see him (purposely) drawing attention to himself.

Exactly! I think he loves the feeling of playing in front of a hockey crowd (who doesn't), but the second he's off the ice I think he'd be happy to not be treated any differently than anybody else or recognized at all

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's funny how the media would complain he never talks to them. Yesterday they finally got their wish and it was great.

EDDIE20*

Something tells me Simmons and Feschuk are gonna have a field day with this one. They live for this ****.

silentbob37*

Look, its right there in the professional code, its taught in all the schools. "We do not allow our own biases to impede fair and accurate reporting" Leeway is given because its impossible to be completely impartial, but there are lines that cannot be crossed such as publicly stating that how much you like someone will change what you write.

I can read it, it just doesn't mean what you think it means. Reports do not have to be emotionless, opinionless robots who talk like joe friday. Having an opinion doesn't = unfair and inaccurate reporting.

Did one of the Toronto say that? You're also taking a very overly simplistic view by boiling it down to "liking and no liking". For someone who talks about nuance, not a good way to go.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Hopefully the networks will just stop putting twitter comments on their shows. I can't stand watching a show & then they start scrolling the twitter comments. If I want to follow twitter I can do that on my phone or computer, don't force it upon me while watching sporting events on tv.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I can read it, it just doesn't mean what you think it means. Reports do not have to be emotionless, opinionless robots who talk like joe friday. Having an opinion doesn't = unfair and inaccurate reporting.

Did one of the Toronto say that? You're also taking a very overly simplistic view by boiling it down to "liking and no liking". For someone who talks about nuance, not a good way to go.

Can you explain where you gained your knowledge of journalism ethics rules and responsibilities. Why are you so sure that you are right????

Having an opinion does not. Explicitly saying that you would report differently based on how someone treats you does. I can have an opinion of the people i deal with. That doesnt make me wrong or lead to sanction. Allowing it do determine how I do my job does.
He showed you. Now you say, that doesn't mean what you think it means. I assure you it does.

When the only other person on your side backs out like 3 hrs ago isn't that a clue?

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
I think this will be settled out of court but if Lupul, Cuthbert (etc.) want money, they'll get it (again out of court).

Twitter user is being sued because TSN might argue that they didn't "publish" the tweet. Basically, there's caselaw suggesting that if a comment appears in the comment section of the article and the news organization doesn't know about it, it's not "published" by the news organization. Obviously, I think that argument would fail here since either a computer or an idiot at TSN put the tweet on TradeCentre. But a good lawyer will always cover his bases and that lawyer will likely not know anything about TSN's operations so it's better to be safe than sorry and sue everyone. You can always take someone off your lawsuit later

If TSN was somehow let off the hook, they'd take whatever assets they could from this Twitter user and that would be the end of that. Doesn't matter what country Adragna lives in because his content was posted in Canada and that's generally all that matters. Defences to defamation that would apply here would be truth, fair comment (i.e. fair opinion) and responsible communication in the public interest. Since this seems like a fact and not something that was responsibly communicated, pretty clear truth is the only defence that applies - so unless, this story is true, the ball is totally in Lupul, Cuthbert and Phaneuf's court if they can prove that broadcasting this tweet would cause a reasonable person to think less of them

This is a case about someone posting a defamatory remark on an online messaging board. Anyone curious about the issues can read it. From what I can remember, the person was guilty of defamation even though it was online and was liable to pay defendant $65K

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2004/2004canlii12938/2004canlii12938.html

Last edited:

silentbob37*

Can you explain where you gained your knowledge of journalism ethics rules and responsibilities. Why are you so sure that you are right????

Having an opinion does not. Explicitly saying that you would report differently based on how someone treats you does. I can have an opinion of the people i deal with. That doesnt make me wrong or lead to sanction. Allowing it do determine how I do my job does.
He showed you. Now you say, that doesn't mean what you think it means. I assure you it does.

When the only other person on your side backs out like 3 hrs ago isn't that a clue?

And I said that, not anyone in the Toronto Media.

And I don't think/expect how they are treated to affect how they report the facts, but how the context in how they present hte facts - like saying who cares if Kessel only skated 10 times or be critical of him only skating 10 times - would be affected by how they are treated by the franchise as a whole.

And no, he is splitting hairs to try to back up his opinion.

So the number of people who say something = who's right? :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad