The Media's Treatment of the Leafs #NoComment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
These days, much is talked about how the Leafs are an intense market to play in, requiring a person of steely armour to not crumble under the pressure. With the team spiralling down the standings in the biggest hockey market in the world, it seems to me that Leaf Nation is divided into three parts. While each part has their faults, there is one that has the highest penchant of abuse. This part has historically made a mockery of the team and their fans.

First we have the ever loyal fans, second, the always fumbling team and last, the arrogant reporters with press clearance. In this day and age, we are witnessing an exponential increase in content available for consumption. Only a select group of people are allowed to enter the sanctuary of an NHL dressing room. These people are our only link to the player's voices, and they continually frame their questions based on their agendas. While some or many of the questions are legitimate, there still comes to a point where asking the same questions over and over to the same player becomes personal, not professional. There is so much content on the leafs these days that that one player's quote will be plastered on over 10 different media outlets.

Is it really the players' or team's fault when they get sick of seeing the same ugly mugs like Howard Berger and Damien Cox after every game and practice, asking the same questions day after day, hoping to mine a misconstrued quote that will inevitably be twisted into a negative light? Are these people writing for Leafs fans or the bigger market of Leafs haters? While I understand that not everything has to be seen with blue and white glasses, there should be some respect for the players and the team.

There's 29 other teams out there, no team is interrogated more than the Leafs. At what point does the media actually influence the future of the team? Look at Phil, he's a supreme talent, but has many question marks. He's got his haters for sure, and I'm leaning on trading him, but at the same time I have to think, has my judgement been clouded from reading constant negative reports in the news? Has it also impacted other executives around the league? Could they be using this information as leverage to lessen his trade value? Did Wilson really get fired from the Leafs fans chanting "Fire Wilson", or did the fans chant that through subliminal conditioning from the media? Did Tlusty have any idea that millions of people were about to see his junk? Did they subliminally brainwash the Muskoka 5 into taking the devil's advocate route to invoke their NTC's by provoking them? In any case, certain Media personalities have been abusing the Leafs fans, Players, Executives and Owners for a long time now, and it really needs to stop.

We need fresh reporters in the locker rooms. We need an improvement with real content, with professional journalism instead of the sensationalist garbage we've been continually force fed. Let's let the players choose who they want to answer questions from. Let the team kick out the bad reporters and let the outlets bring in a new, reporter. It's time to give these hockey playing professionals an opportunity to actually enjoy these interviews and not dread them when things go bad. I think it's time to change who's allowed to enter that dressing room and ask the questions. It does the team no good when they deflate their players public image and trade value while subsequently making a mockery of the team and rubbing salt in the fans wounds. It's a vicious cycle and one that the media has exploited for decades.

The Leafs have the biggest, richest and most loyal fan base, it's time we were treated right for all our loyalty and stupidity. Especially now that we're going to go through through a rebuild and probably lose more than we'll win going forward the next few years.

There. I said it.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
These days, much is talked about how the Leafs are an intense market to play in, requiring a person of steely armour to not crumble under the pressure. With the team spiralling down the standings in the biggest hockey market in the world, it seems to me that Leaf Nation is divided into three parts. While each part has their faults, there is one that has the highest penchant of abuse. This part has historically made a mockery of the team and their fans.

First we have the ever loyal fans, second, the always fumbling team and last, the arrogant reporters with press clearance. In this day and age, we are witnessing an exponential increase in content available for consumption. Only a select group of people are allowed to enter the sanctuary of an NHL dressing room. These people are our only link to the player's voices, and they continually frame their questions based on their agendas. While some or many of the questions are legitimate, there still comes to a point where asking the same questions over and over to the same player becomes personal, not professional. There is so much content on the leafs these days that that one player's quote will be plastered on over 10 different media outlets.

Is it really the players' or team's fault when they get sick of seeing the same ugly mugs like Howard Berger and Damien Cox after every game and practice, asking the same questions day after day, hoping to mine a misconstrued quote that will inevitably be twisted into a negative light? Are these people writing for Leafs fans or the bigger market of Leafs haters? While I understand that not everything has to be seen with blue and white glasses, there should be some respect for the players and the team.

There's 29 other teams out there, no team is interrogated more than the Leafs. At what point does the media actually influence the future of the team? Look at Phil, he's a supreme talent, but has many question marks. He's got his haters for sure, and I'm leaning on trading him, but at the same time I have to think, has my judgement been clouded from reading constant negative reports in the news? Has it also impacted other executives around the league? Could they be using this information as leverage to lessen his trade value? Did Wilson really get fired from the Leafs fans chanting "Fire Wilson", or did the fans chant that through subliminal conditioning from the media? Did Tlusty have any idea that millions of people were about to see his junk? Did they subliminally brainwash the Muskoka 5 into taking the devil's advocate route to invoke their NTC's by provoking them? In any case, certain Media personalities have been abusing the Leafs fans, Players, Executives and Owners for a long time now, and it really needs to stop.

We need fresh reporters in the locker rooms. We need an improvement with real content, with professional journalism instead of the sensationalist garbage we've been continually force fed. Let's let the players choose who they want to answer questions from. Let the team kick out the bad reporters and let the outlets bring in a new, reporter. It's time to give these hockey playing professionals an opportunity to actually enjoy these interviews and not dread them when things go bad. I think it's time to change who's allowed to enter that dressing room and ask the questions. It does the team no good when they deflate their players public image and trade value while subsequently making a mockery of the team and rubbing salt in the fans wounds. It's a vicious cycle and one that the media has exploited for decades.

The Leafs have the biggest, richest and most loyal fan base, it's time we were treated right for all our loyalty and stupidity. Especially now that we're going to go through through a rebuild and probably lose more than we'll win going forward the next few years.

There. I said it.

Do think the NY media is rough on the Yankees? What about the Knicks?

How about Boston media with the Sox and Celtics?

What about LA media with the Lakers?

Any griping about the media just comes off as some combination of lame and pathetic.

These are grown men, they should be able to answer questions about their play.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007

Any griping about the media just comes off as some combination of lame and pathetic.

It's the context of the questions and the way its' framed. I actually never really read any other sports news other than the NHL, so I can't attest to any of them. Yeah, they can and do answer the questions but at some point it becomes detrimental to the team and can affect what management decides to do with the players and in terms of attracting top quality free agents.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

With the exception of the Knicks, all the other teams you mentioned have won championships in their respective leagues since 2000. So while they might have the same type of media the Leafs have in Toronto, I think all of them winning makes a difference.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I think the problem is the media's questions seem to be the same and the do interviews too soon after the game, let the players unwind and if they're angry about a loss they are less likely to call you an idiot.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Exactly.

I'm amazed at the amount of Leaf fans that whine about how "negative' the media is. Negative?

The team is a joke. The organization is pathetic and the players play like they couldn't care less. These same whiners like to talk about how "hard" it is to play in this market. Hard? Can you imagine if the Montreal Canadiens had a season like this? If the players went out and just quit on the fans the way this group did? If the team lost 10 out of 12 or whatever it is? It would be a nightmare. Ditto if the Yankees did it, or the Red Sox, or the Knicks.

These whining fans are deep into fantasy land if they think the players are getting a rough ride here or that the media is "unfair" in their coverage. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still shocked at what an easy time the players and Shanahan are getting form the local press. What's happening on the ice is so bad they might as well just pitch a tent over the whole thing.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
“Phil’s usually pretty good at dealing with it, but when it’s constant and it’s something that’s every day, in a market like Toronto, things that get said can be pretty cruel. It’s been like that for him since the day he got here.”

As said by Kadri and I can't disagree.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Exactly.

I'm amazed at the amount of Leaf fans that whine about how "negative' the media is. Negative?

The team is a joke. The organization is pathetic and the players play like they couldn't care less. These same whiners like to talk about how "hard" it is to play in this market. Hard? Can you imagine if the Montreal Canadiens had a season like this? If the players went out and just quit on the fans the way this group did? If the team lost 10 out of 12 or whatever it is? It would be a nightmare. Ditto if the Yankees did it, or the Red Sox, or the Knicks.

These whining fans are deep into fantasy land if they think the players are getting a rough ride here or that the media is "unfair" in their coverage. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still shocked at what an easy time the players and Shanahan are getting form the local press. What's happening on the ice is so bad they might as well just pitch a tent over the whole thing.

The media is tough, even when the Leafs win, they seem to bring something bad about it, like "the Leafs were lucky that the Ducks beat themselves", they say it wasn't the Leafs good play, but the other teams poor play. The Leafs ARE having a bad year and deserve negativity, but in previous years when the Leafs have competitive teams (yes they did), the media would still find something bad.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Exactly.

You're a fan, Tell us!

My guess is a riot. :dunno:/;)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Lol at blaming the media.
It is the team on the ice who play the games and it is the current and previous managers who have built that team. They deserve all the heat they get, probably a bit more even.

If you are ok with the media when you are winning then you should accept the media when you are losing. Do people really expect the media to stop reporting because the team suck? And that is what they are doing, covering the team and reporting. If the team provide them with nothing but misery to write about, well then that is what they will write about. It is not as if the media have to make things up to paint this team as a bad one, they are a bad team.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Lol at blaming the media.
It is the team on the ice who play the games and it is the current and previous managers who have built that team. They deserve all the heat they get, probably a bit more even.

If you are ok with the media when you are winning then you should accept the media when you are losing. Do people really expect the media to stop reporting because the team suck? And that is what they are doing, covering the team and reporting. If the team provide them with nothing but misery to write about, well then that is what they will write about. It is not as if the media have to make things up to paint this team as a bad one, they are a bad team.

that's the problem, even when they're winning the media find a negative spin on it. Many high profile players don't want to play for the Leafs because of the pressure and a lot of great players careers were ruined before they got started.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
that's the problem, even when they're winning the media find a negative spin on it. Many high profile players don't want to play for the Leafs because of the pressure and a lot of great players careers were ruined before they got started.

Spot on.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Please name a single "great player" who's career was ruined by the Toronto media?

This is an absurd claim.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
They're fed by fans. We're a cynical and toxic bunch ourselves. So they just write/say what they know will get a reaction. Pretty simple. Fans (non-impulsive ones aside) reacting more nonchalant to every little thing social media would have an instant impact on what the media does.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
With the exception of the Knicks, all the other teams you mentioned have won championships in their respective leagues since 2000. So while they might have the same type of media the Leafs have in Toronto, I think all of them winning makes a difference.

That's a convenient time frame for teams like the Celtics and Red Sox who had some long droughts just before winning, the Sox being historic in length. The Knicks get a ton of crap on the daily. Melo is like their Kessel lol

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
while at times i think sometimes the commentary can be too harsh (since the focus is on Kessel we'll use him) - what specifically is being said that is "oh, no, poor Phil." -if you remove all the extreme rude - and the extreme praise

"Phil Kessel is a gifted individual on one end of the ice, and a liability on the other end, and depending on his mood, so so in the neutral zone. He is seen as uncoachable and/or a coach killer, or someone who is only happy with his points at the end of the year."

you know who else gets that? a lot of hockey players who play like they don't give a crap in one end and only get their points on the other.

I don't buy this nonsense that it's "hard" here. and I' m not even going to point out other "hard winning markets". You know where else it's hard? Philadelphia.. if Hockey is your bread and butter - it's going to be difficult regardless. the media is trained in almost every facet (not just sport) to report on the negative. that's what gets eyeballs viewing and that's what gets people discussing.

ideally it would be nice to have more "leafs fans" in the media (everyone is always so quick to go - I am not a Leafs fan, I'm not part of Leafs nation" which - i think is a deterrent - but is it "hard" here? no. not so much any other market, involving the big four teams where the team is king, and the team doesn't do well. ever.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Exactly.

You are bang on...they are getting off far to easy. The players are mailing it in and we have people blaming the Media...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Bob McClown is a perfect example. He will say, "I'd trade Kessel and Phaneuf, at this point, for a bag of pucks", and when they do say, "This is worst organization in sports. They never have any great players".

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
"Phil Kessel is a gifted individual on one end of the ice, and a liability on the other end, and depending on his mood, so so in the neutral zone. He is seen as uncoachable and/or a coach killer, or someone who is only happy with his points at the end of the year."
Correct me if I'm wrong but was it not until Ron Wilson had said Kessel was uncoachable and etc is when the media referred to him as a coach killer. I mean why should we take his word at phase value because he had not said anything to the Toronto since being fired in March 2012 and ever the opportunist he decides to talk after Carlyle got fired.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Correct me if I'm wrong but was it not until Ron Wilson had said Kessel was uncoachable and etc is when the media referred to him as a coach killer. I mean why should we take his word at phase value because he had not said anything to the Toronto since being fired in March 2012 and ever the opportunist he decides to talk after Carlyle got fired.

He already had that reputation of being uncoachable when he played in Boston. One of the main reasons I was against getting him in the first place.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He already had that reputation of being uncoachable when he played in Boston. One of the main reasons I was against getting him in the first place.
My point was in the Toronto media when was Kessel ever referred to as being uncoachable and a coach killer? Like I said before I don't remember anything like that said about him until Ron Wilson opened his mouth.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
My point was in the Toronto media when was Kessel ever referred to as being uncoachable and a coach killer? Like I said before I don't remember anything like that said about him until Ron Wilson opened his mouth.

I dont know, perhaps not in Toronto. But he had a reputation before he came to Toronto and being some one who disagree with his coaches, does not like to work out or play defense was some of that reputation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I dont know, perhaps not in Toronto. But he had a reputation before he came to Toronto and being some one who disagree with his coaches, does not like to work out or play defense was some of that reputation.
I remember that talk after he was traded. However my problem is the media not questioning Ron Wilson saying what he did during a tough time after Randy Carlyle gets fired. Prior to that the only story of Kessel not being coachable was him not wanting to switch positions during training camp. I think that story lasted 1 or 2 days and that was it. Since Wilson said his comments it's now stuck with Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad