The Media's Treatment of the Leafs #NoComment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Biggs*

The Toronto media will destroy the best players. The negativity would be overwhelming to the most mentally tough. Ask anyone who has played here, including the ones that did well. There is a reason the best players would never think of playing here.

Tyler Biggs*

I'm all for these sports stars to be held accountable. But its not the media's job. These players should just say enough is enough and refuse to do these media scrums until the media starts to report with respect. Take the fines and suspensions that come but make a statement. Clearly the league and teams don't care. Sensationalism at it's best folks!

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
If only we were as outraged by the results of the team as we are about what the media does.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I am disappointed one bad tweeter ruined it for the rest of us. When I tweet TSN talent, they usually are very receptive, and there is good interaction. I noticed today less interaction. Unfortunately this may the way it is for now.

I don't know. Notice how quickly Lupul changed his "nocomment" stance? If Lupul wasn't in Toronto, no one would really care what he thought about anything. No one really does now except Leafs fans. He enjoys the attention and can't stay away. The platform will always be appealing to a lot of players. It made lesser players like Domi more important.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I'm all for these sports stars to be held accountable. But its not the media's job. These players should just say enough is enough and refuse to do these media scrums until the media starts to report with respect. Take the fines and suspensions that come but make a statement. Clearly the league and teams don't care. Sensationalism at it's best folks!

I was just waiting for one of the leafs who was refusing to talk to the media to say "If Bell has a problem then bloody well trade me."

Personally I like Lupul and don't think he deserves all the backlash he is getting for this. It was an offside comment and poor decision by TSN to air it and I think he had every right to refuse to talk with them.

I was just hoping he would pull a Marshawn Lynch.

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
Ever since the "no salute to the fans" crap, I could care less about the heat these guys get. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, but if the team wants to fire shots at the fans/media while playing horribly... I lose all sympathy. Ship any player out that was tenured enough to speak up against it. Keep whining boys, you'll be playing somewhere else soon enough.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The media is important for the league no doubt. In Toronto? No so much.

It's not important at all. Media is a broad spectrum of many interfaces to lump them all as one would be incorrect... Sports shows talk radio, print spots media all that is irrelevant to the point they NEED these athletes and the League to even have a platform yet they've conveniently in the name of competition of this entity to earn ratings and $$$ this media group continues to bite the hand that feeds them and it's gotten out of hand in this market. TV and live radio on the other hand to broadcast the product of the game that's different. That's an essential need, the rest is trash.

It's like saying actors and musicians need the Paparazzi.

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
TML fans seem to be laying most of the blame for the poor environment on the media.
How much of the blame should go to the aggressive nature that TML fans take towards this team and the players? When players and their wives are personally attacked and slandered by fans, I can only imagine what other players around the NHL think. It can't make the Leafs an attractive destination when a few bad fans make personal attacks against players.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
Have you read your comments? You sound like a spoils ten year old not getting his way.

I see a team full of 'human' players who have fallen apart, are struggling to figure out why and are getting ripped to shreds at every corner. I see a team that tries but has no belief in themselves at all.

I see it every day amongst other humans, who fall apart when things don't go right, despite how good they were before.

I've said it before, this team is broken. They are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But to honestly believe that they don't try or care shows very little knowledge of the game of hockey. You simply don't make the NHL if you don't care or try, it's not possible. I guarantee you Phil Kessel is a million times more frustrated with this team and the results than any single clickbaited moron on these boards is. Guarantee it.

But yeah, you're probably right, tey are all millionaire who have no feeling and just don't care, probably rolling in money and laughing at you, the poor victimized fan.

I agree with every thing you wrote here. 100%

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know. Notice how quickly Lupul changed his "nocomment" stance? If Lupul wasn't in Toronto, no one would really care what he thought about anything. No one really does now except Leafs fans. He enjoys the attention and can't stay away. The platform will always be appealing to a lot of players. It made lesser players like Domi more important.

It's ironic this isn't Lupul's first brush with Twitter controversy. He likes the lime light, there is no doubt about it.

Maple Leafs Joffrey Lupul caught in social media scandal

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...dia+scan dal/6847896/story.html#ixzz3TTmkuQV4

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...ught+social+media+scan dal/6847896/story.html

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
TML fans seem to be laying most of the blame for the poor environment on the media.
How much of the blame should go to the aggressive nature that TML fans take towards this team and the players? When players and their wives are personally attacked and slandered by fans, I can only imagine what other players around the NHL think. It can't make the Leafs an attractive destination when a few bad fans make personal attacks against players.

We're small potato's in this relationship. The city of Toronto just happens to be one of the friendly Metropolitans in all of the world that makes it a great place to live.

If you've notice hockey players never have issue with the city and appreciate playing in a full building. The problem is the media, the scrutiny of flat out disrespect this group works these days biting the hand that feeds them is what's ruining it for all.

It's not just bad in Toronto, it's bad in all of the Canadian markets but the scale in this city is unmatched which can be unbearable to hockey players. That's why we hear it takes a special type of personality to play in Toronto and I'm sick of it that it has to be that way. The media here serves as a deterrence in so many ways. One of which has this organization tied with both hands behind there backs to grow & develop youth the right way.

We all hope for McDavid but I can tell you that coming here wont be the best situation for his development.

Toronto media = Poparazzi

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We're small potato's in this relationship. The city of Toronto just happens to be one of the friendly Metropolitans in all of the world that makes it a great place to live.

If you've notice hockey players never have issue with the city and appreciate playing in a full building. The problem is the media, the scrutiny of flat out disrespect this group works these days biting the hand that feeds them is what's ruining it for all.

It's not just bad in Toronto, it's bad in all of the Canadian markets but the scale in this city is unmatched which can be unbearable to hockey players. That's why we hear it takes a special type of personality to play in Toronto and I'm sick of it that it has to be that way. The media here serves as a deterrence in so many ways. One of which has this organization tied with both hands behind there backs to grow & develop youth the right way.

We all hope for McDavid but I can tell you that coming here wont be the best situation for his development.

The Leafs have managed to make themselves the laughing stock of the entire NHL but the Toronto media actually are quite fair and forgiving to them.

After missing the playoffs 9 of the past 10 years, I'm not sure why you would expect members of the media to be kissing the ground these bums walk on.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can you blame the Leafs fan base for the fact that Sportsnet and TSN are based here? Outside of Feschuk and Steve Simmons, who is giving them a hard time? Compare this to the scrutiny in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. in sports those cities care about.

Maybe it's just the Leafs, but hockey players are so thin skinned these days. You'd think they'd all just as soon play hockey out of a ex-pat mall in Singapore or something the way they whine about big city coverage and cold weather.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not all media people agree with Cathal Kelly:

Good, maybe the combination of the players standing up and the pro's calling them out will bring the entitled hacks into line.

Everyone would be better for it, fans, players, media too.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

What is completely crazy is the idea that hockey somehow needs these people asking them questions to be sucessful.
They can do marketing events. Heck they have their own tv channel.

You can advertise in other ways. Sportscenter will still play highlights. People will still go to games. What other medium does this happen. After a concert does eddie vedder have people waiting outside his shower repeatedly asking him questions about a botched chord change? Do broadway stars? What about the shows filmed in front of a studio audience?? How is this ok. People coming into your washroom after work and grilling you.

The papers need sports teams to sell papers. The leafs dont need papers to sell tickets. They would do well to remember that. What do people really think cliches add to the game

Do people really think that listening to "well we have to give it 100 percent, get in the shooting lanes, win puck battles on the boards. We have to play for each other" really adds anything?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Good, maybe the combination of the players standing up and the pro's calling them out will bring the entitled hacks into line.

Everyone would be better for it, fans, players, media too.

But wait i thought every journalist was biased and provides facts based on how much he likes them

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Leafs have managed to make themselves the laughing stock of the entire NHL but the Toronto media actually are quite fair and forgiving to them.

After missing the playoffs 9 of the past 10 years, I'm not sure why you would expect members of the media to be kissing the ground these bums walk on.

What do you think would happen in Montreal if they missed the playoffs for the next 8 years?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
But wait i thought every journalist was biased and provides facts based on how much he likes them

Nope, just the bad ones. Which Kelly smugly admitted to being and used the same brush to paint his colleagues, who don't seem too happy about it.

I'm sorry but I thought I was being clear through that (now embarassing debate) that believe that there are standards for journalists to stand up to that Kelly's column showed clearly weren't being met by at least one and likely multiple members of Toronto's MSM (guess who). I never meant to imply that I thought all journalists were biased and terrible, some are gems.

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

Phaneuf is still good, he's still a solid top 4 guy capable of playing 20+ minutes a night, he's just overpaid by 1 or two million, and Kessel has done everything that's been asked of him, the guy is also a pure offensive machine, all he does is score and put up points. The way the media and the fans hate on the Leafs, especially Phaneuf and Kessel, is ridiculous and unfair. Thank you, Phil for telling the media off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad