The media is angry at the Vegas twitter account | upd: Vegas apologizes, page 13, post #305

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
You lose your credentials. Pretty obvious.

I said earlier in this thread that when I talked with ther reporters in the CBJ press box, they ALL mentioned how big of a no-no it was.
Well as much as I agree with policy normally, that policy isn’t a good one. You should be able to cheer for the team that you cover. But it’s also their job to not be biased so I understand.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Have you ever been a reporter? I have. It really isn't your place to tell them if they've overreacted if you have no idea what the ramifications are on someone's career if they're known as a press box fan.

It borders on libel if they actually have their careers jeopardized by such a remark.

Reactions: jaeger

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I have read some members of the press mention that these reporters could lose their press credentials for cheering in the press box. How is this so hard to understand? This is why they deleted the tweet. It’s not just some people overreacting this is their job and livelihood.

Sure and I might lose my job if I am 30 seconds late for work, but the chances are slim to none and even less if the report of my lateness comes from a twitter account that is known to be more tongue in cheek than anything else.

This lose their credentials BS is just a smoke screen for the media to try and act all holier than thou and let us know how "professional" they are by ensuring no clapping in the PB.

The reality is they were either clapping in the PB which if it costs them their job is on them not the twitter or they weren't and there is zero % chance that their employer is firing them when it is VGK twitter versus them and other journalists word. So no they weren't going to lose their press credentials or jobs based on the VGK tweet.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
"This is a pretty serious accusation"

Is Portzline serious?

He is serious and it is a very serious accusation.

It directly attacked the professionalism of all of those journalists. As someone that has spent a lot of time in press boxes over the years, this is not done and to suggest it was besmirches the integrity of that group.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I don't know. I can be a fan of a team while being an impartial critic.
Heck, fans are probably more critical of their team than anyone else.

If anything, I get the feeling that reporters have to be less critical, so that they can stay on the "good side" of team management, which makes the whole thing inherently biased.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

It directly attacked the professionalism of all of those journalists. As someone that has spent a lot of time in press boxes over the years, this is not done and to suggest it was besmirches the integrity of that group.

Attacked their professionalism with who?

Has there been a single poster in this thread that has said they think less of them based on this tweet? A single journalist that has come out and said how unprofessional they are?

The only thing making these guys, and those defending them, are their ridiculous responses to the tweet. That is making them look much more unprofessional and way worse in most people's eyes.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Attacked their professionalism with who?

Has there been a single poster in this thread that has said they think less of them based on this tweet? A single journalist that has come out and said how unprofessional they are?

The only thing making these guys, and those defending them, are their ridiculous responses to the tweet. That is making them look much more unprofessional and way worse in most people's eyes.

That's kind of the point of why other journalists were quick to defend them though, they wanted to quickly point out how professional they are so that their professionalism wasn't questioned.

While I can certainly understand the idea that it is no big deal and they should be allowed to cheer, the reality is that within the profession it is a big deal. Almost every profession out there has some kind of odd ball rule like this, it doesn't matter if it makes sense, that is the rule.

I know for example in mine you don't touch another operator's press unless it's a safety issue. I've seen guys best down hard for doing it. It seems silly but that is the rule.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
While I can certainly understand the idea that it is no big deal and they should be allowed to cheer, the reality is that within the profession it is a big deal. Almost every profession out there has some kind of odd ball rule like this, it doesn't matter if it makes sense, that is the rule.

I have seen people - not journalists - but visitors and PR people kicked out of press boxes for cheering.

The press box is not a place for fans, and it's not a place for cheering. It is full of people who are working. It's an office space. Cheering is not done there. Whether some fans think that is silly or not, or "no big deal" or not is totally irrelevant. Suggesting that Nashville beat reporters were "cheering" in the press box is a direct attack on them as professionals and that is why this tweet was treated in the manner it was by professionals in the industry.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
There are nearly 400 posts (to this point) and there seems to be a significant current of thought that the Nashville media overreacted. As a blogger retired more than 10 years now, and one that was credentialed with the Nashville Predators for a time, please afford me a few words to explain why the media requested an apology from the Vegas twitter account.

I will make an assumption that the majority of the posters in this thread have a job. Most jobs have rules in which you must follow to retain your job. Practically all jobs have rules around the treatment of others in the workforce to ensure discrimination or harassment are not tolerated. Many jobs go further into the realm of ethics or "professionalism".

Media credentialed by an NHL team, or the NHL, are required to not cheer for one team or the other in the press box (which is separate from the broadcast booth). Why? I can't profess to know all the reasons as I was never a professional journalist. To me though, I was there to do a job. My colleagues in the media were there to do a job. As a credentialed member of the media, I had access to players, coaches, general managers, etc. I was not there to "root" for the Predators like a normal fan. My colleagues and I were there to do a job that entailed being a conduit for the fans to those members of the Predators organization. Like any other job, if you don't adhere to the rules, you can lose your job.

Accusations of unprofessional behavior could have a major impact on the jobs for those media members, or at least their access. When a media member doesn't have that access, it becomes significantly harder to do their job. It would seem to be reasonable for a person to want to refute claims they feel are false when those claims could result in the loss of their job or significant difficulties in doing their job. While I understand why some feel that the Vegas twitter feed was making an obvious joke, I don't believe it was a joke at all. The writer on that feed was obviously there to make that comment. They are obviously aware of the rules around not cheering by making that comment- and the seriousness of those accusations as it pertains to the profession. And they are serious. Those writers could lose their credentials with Nashville if true, be refused credentials when travelling to away games, or lose credentials when playoff or Stanley Cup games are in Nashville. Credential passes are definitely limited. When I blogged, being very new to the Predators, I was not going to get credentials for the playoffs.

I hope I gave a bit of understanding and background as to why the Nashville media, and media from other teams, responded in such a fashion to that tweet.

Thanks.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I freaking hate twitter.

Been on the Internet since 1998, I prefer it before Twitter.

obviously twitter is a great platform for spreading breaking news, but it's also responsible for a lot of garbage.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

As someone who studies Communication and Journalism in college, yes I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad