The media is angry at the Vegas twitter account | upd: Vegas apologizes, page 13, post #305

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I had read a little bit about this, because I follow Portsline on twitter, but I didn't understand what it was about until about two minutes ago, because the initial tweet had been deleted.

Now that I've seen it... Jesus Tapdancing Christ. THIS is what we're worrying about now?

Yes, obviously, we want our reporters to be as objective as possible. But when you cover a team every single day for an entire season (usually multiple seasons), you talk to the players and coaches and executives on a daily basis, you travel with the team, you watch all the games, and you write to a fan base that's devoted to the club... isn't it natural that you'd enjoy seeing them succeed? And sports is supposed to be the toy section of life. What, you're supposed to get the dream job of covering pro sports, and you're just never supposed to enjoy it, ever? You're not allowed to be wowed by impressive feats of athleticism and good team play?

Everyone just needs to relax.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
There is no group of people that disgust me more than the media. Journalists are leeches that only exist because of the talents of others. I look forward to their continued destruction.

Reactions: canuckslover10

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
There is no group of people that disgust me more than the media. Journalists are leeches that only exist because of the talents of others. I look forward to their continued destruction.
While I'm also disgusted by modern media it makes me a bit sad that real reporters that risk their life and limb to get as close to the truth as possible are bunched together with the office rats. Imagine going to a war zone armed with pen and paper? That takes some serious guts and should be respected.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You shouldn't lump together the political media muckrakers and sensationalists with the legitimate journalists who do honest reporting to shine light on genuinely important issues that otherwise go unreported or underreported. And that's ignoring overseas correspondents who risk their lives to provide us scenes and reports from the ground of some of the world's most dangerous areas. It's really unfair to use such broad strokes to generalize an entire profession.

The issue here is that these journalists genuinely try to remain impartial in their writing. They take their job seriously like the vast majority of journalists that exist outside the sphere of political pundits and correspondents. So to have some bullshit Twitter feed try to undercut your professionalism without any evidence is going to be upsetting to those affected individuals. I know a lot of people don't care if the beat writers are impartial, but the writers themselves do care and do try. It was a stupid comment from a stupid Twitter account.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
You can hear the hard on under the table by every Rogers broadcast team when doing a Leafs game, and their partial during any other game.

How any different?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That tweet from Vegas is incredibly stupid on so many levels. What down thought that was funny let alone smart. The overreaction is just as bad.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You can hear the hard on under the table by every Rogers broadcast team when doing a Leafs game, and their partial during any other game.

How any different?

The Rogers broadcast team is broadcast television. It's not sports journalism. There are sports journalists in broadcast, but not everyone in broadcasting is a credential journalist.

Reactions: YesCubed

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

How any different?

lol have you watched a Leaf game called by Jim Hughson?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I would agree that some people are just soft. There are certain things Vegas has tweeted that got bad reception and really shouldn't have.

That said, IMO the account isn't that funny. Most of the tweets are forced, they try way too hard to. Need to tone it down a bit.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
What's soft about being lied about?

If someone said you were sleeping in the theatre closet at your janitor job, I doubt you'd be hard about it and act like it didn't matter.
Yeah I wouldn’t like it, but I wouldn’t overreact about being told I was clapping when the team I liked scored. I understand policy, and I agree with the reporters. But they overreacted.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Yeah I wouldn’t like it, but I wouldn’t overreact about being told I was clapping when the team I liked scored. I understand policy, and I agree with the reporters. But they overreacted.

Have you ever been a reporter? I have. It really isn't your place to tell them if they've overreacted if you have no idea what the ramifications are on someone's career if they're known as a press box fan.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Have you ever been a reporter? I have. It really isn't your place to tell them if they've overreacted if you have no idea what the ramifications are on someone's career if they're known as a press box fan.
What are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad