Proposal: The Matt Cullen Fan Club

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Such an amazing signing and vet. Unless he falls part in the playoffs or wants a stupid amount, I want him back for another year.

Absolutely. Especially if we can keep Kuhnhackl and Rust with him. That could easily develop into a Cooke-Staal-Kennedy lite line.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sort of knew Cullen was capable of his current play cuz he filled in so admirably for the Preds 2nd line C in the playoffs last year when Fisher went down.

The only question was if his age would finally catch up to him...
Nope.
Still pretty damn effective.

I hope both sides wanna do it again next year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Am I the only member, or would some of you guys also like to join? :yo:

I've been championing signing him for another year for basically the entire season, hell I defended the signing the moment it happened while most hated it and preached their "Pens hate youth!" agenda.

Yet here we are, all fans of his now.

Sign him to 1 more year, the guy has been fantastic his entire career.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Kunitz should be ashamed of his lack of effort when he sees Ol' timer Cullen play with thrice the intensity that he's usually showing. I'm fed up with this teacher's pet hardly ever getting demoted even though he's downright atrocious & painful to watch at times. Skate, don't stare damn it, or stare at Cullen when he's working his ass off & your lazy one is on the bench!

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I want more Cullen. Really hope he's amenable to signing another contract like last season, though he'd be justified in looking for a bigger payday here or elsewhere.

One of the few vets on this team over the last few years who deserves every bit of media praise he receives and more.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
I have to say when he signed, I was surprised but since then been really impressed with what he brings to the ice every night and the influence he seems to have on the baby pens

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I want more Cullen. Really hope he's amenable to signing another contract like last season, though he'd be justified in looking for a bigger payday here or elsewhere.

One of the few vets on this team over the last few years who deserves every bit of media praise he receives and more.
He seems happy here teaching WBS kids & whatnot, raise his 800K to 1M & he might just want to stay. Hell, raise him to 900K instead with nice performances incentives.

We have a **** vet left with Kunitz & a 'Energizer still going on' with Cullen.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Even though I wanted the Penguins to get younger last offseason I didn't have a problem at all with the Cullen signing because he was still productive and not showing signs of falling off the cliff. I hope he does come back for one more season.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Fire Tocchet, make Cullen a player-coach! :laugh:

All kidding aside, I love the signing. Cullen has been so much more than I'm sure any of us expected from him. At this point in his career, I think he'd rather try and win then to get a pay day, so I get the feeling he would stay here on a inexpensive contract

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
he and his line is being pinned down last few games, having the worst possesion numbers of all players, although I believe strongly in advance stats, there is so much more to his play

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
he and his line is being pinned down last few games, having the worst possesion numbers of all players, although I believe strongly in advance stats, there is so much more to his play

yeah...this is why i wouldn't mind if that line is broken up for awhile

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I'm so happy to see him land on his feet after that ***** Carol Vessey left him for that real estate magician dork.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I think he should play a few seasons more, at least one, in Penguins. And then we should retire his number. Does that answer your question?

An looking at how he seems to connect with the kids on/off the ice makes me think he would a marvelous fit on the management side.

Last edited:

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
No comment on his no look pass on that 2 on 1?

He played that whole sequence so perfectly.

[NHL]946168[/NHL]

Kuhnhackl, who also finished with an assist, became the first Pens rookie to record more than one shorthanded marker in a season since Jordan Staal (the other came against Tampa Bay on Feb. 20, which was his first NHL goal).

The rookie gave credit to veteran Matt Cullen for his tap-in on the 2-on-1 breakaway.

“I just gave it to Cullen early because I knew I would panic with the puck,†Kuhnhackl joked. “I'm just happy he set up that great backdoor tap-in for me.â€
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=876097

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
heh, the Buffalo D man played that horrifically

Watch Cullen's legs. He moves his left skate/hip toward shooting position to bait Risto (and the goaltender) into thinking he's about to release the puck and passed it in one motion. Cullen, quite subtly, faked him out.

I guess it could be argued that Risto should just not protect against the shot at all, but less and less D think like that these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad