The Masters 2019

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
There was a time I really tought Tiger wouldn't win a tournament again let alone a major. The 2011 PGA Championship was the worst I've ever seen him play, his swing was so bad it made Jim Furyks look fluent. Less than a year after that he started winning tournaments again. He dinked around in some majors, having some high finishes but never really threatening. I still doubted. The year after that he was back on top of the world golf rankings, winning WGC events and flirting again in majors but never really contending. I still doubted. 2014-2017 was basically a write off, he played 6 of the 16 majors and only made 2 cuts. I thought for sure that was it.

Last year at the Open he had the lead in a major on the back nine on a Sunday for the first time in ages, and yet it still didn't feel like Tiger. I doubted. Only on the back 9 on the PGA Championship last year did the thought start to really enter my mind that he could do this again. For those 9 holes chasing down Koepka it really felt like the old Tiger. But it still seemed so far fetched, not as close as the very next major. I'll never doubt Tiger again, he could win a major at 65 years old and it wouldn't surprise me.

Jan 3, 2012
ek45fl76n9s21.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There was a time I really tought Tiger wouldn't win a tournament again let alone a major. The 2011 PGA Championship was the worst I've ever seen him play, his swing was so bad it made Jim Furyks look fluent. Less than a year after that he started winning tournaments again. He dinked around in some majors, having some high finishes but never really threatening. I still doubted. The year after that he was back on top of the world golf rankings, winning WGC events and flirting again in majors but never really contending. I still doubted. 2014-2017 was basically a write off, he played 6 of the 16 majors and only made 2 cuts. I thought for sure that was it.

Tiger certainly contended at the 2013 Open. He was playing better than anyone, but made some mistakes late in the third round, otherwise he would've went into the final round leading. He had a very good chance to win the tournament in the final round, but his game plan off the tee was incredibly questionable. He was leaving himself almost 200+ yards into every hole because he didn't think he could hit the fairway with driver. Maybe he was right and hitting driver wouldn't have worked, but that was one of the best chances he's had in his career to win a major that he didn't win. He should've won that tournament. Mickelson stole it in the final round. Mickelson was never in contention until the back nine of that final round.

The 2013 Open was a much better chance to win than the 2018 Open or 2018 PGA. Tiger was nowhere near the lead after two at the 2018 Open, and had a good third round that might give himself a chance on the back nine if he played great and the leaders didn't play well. Thats what happened, but there might've been a stretch of about five holes during that tournament where Tiger was right in it. Aside from that, he was playing catch up the whole last two rounds and one mistake, like the one he made, eliminated his chances to win.

2018 PGA was similar. Far off the lead after two. It took a great third round to give himself a chance going into the final round. He was the best player on the course in that final round, but I don't think there was ever an instance during that fourth round where he was less than two back of Koepka. The difference between the 2018 PGA and 2018 Open was that Tiger didn't have a moment that eliminated himself, Koepka's play did that and Tiger was able to finish second, despite never getting that close to the lead.

Jan 3, 2012
Outside of Augusta,

His best two chances are right now at Pebble and Bethpage. In 2021 we have Torrey Pines, but every year after this he is older, and I question how long he will be healthy for. Even now, with the WD, and him having tightness and having to limit practice, his new 100% is like 60% for a younger Tiger.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Thinking about it, but still can’t believe it happened. Never thought I’d see it again.

Man, the “Tiger” chant was just goosebump material. I wanted to jump in the chant myself from the couch.

I don't know that the 2019 Masters surpasses the 1986 Masters in terms the drama of a close tournament and a comeback for an all time great.

I also don't know that it doesn't, which is something I never figured I'd be able to say.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It does for me cause I wasn't alive for the 1986 masters

I was 15 . . . :laugh:

That one was different. One, as much as some people had written off Tiger, he'd been in the hunt recently. Pretty much everyone in the golf community thought Nicklaus was done in '86. Two, with the internet and the way the network rightfully covered it, you knew Tiger was in the hunt, so the suspense was whether he could pull it off. In '86, people literally had no clue Nicklaus was legit in the hunt until he birdied 10 (you had no internet and until then CBS coverage wasn't as long or frankly as interested in him).

That said, this Masters joins '86 as the two most incredibly dramatic majors I've ever watched.

nnynetpotato

Sep 9, 2008
Well,both their birdie putts on 16 went in....from slightly different places.

I thought Tiger was making an ace on 16 yesterday.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was 15 . . . :laugh:

That one was different. One, as much as some people had written off Tiger, he'd been in the hunt recently. Pretty much everyone in the golf community thought Nicklaus was done in '86. Two, with the internet and the way the network rightfully covered it, you knew Tiger was in the hunt, so the suspense was whether he could pull it off. In '86, people literally had no clue Nicklaus was legit in the hunt until he birdied 10 (you had no internet and until then CBS coverage wasn't as long or frankly as interested in him).

That said, this Masters joins '86 as the two most incredibly dramatic majors I've ever watched.

They were very different types of comebacks. Jack’s was all about golf. One of the most historic golfing rounds in history. Tiger’s comeback was about a lot more than winning a golf tournament. The closest comparable in golf is to Ben Hogan who nearly died in a car accident and then came back the next year at the height of his powers to resume his career. It wasn’t as much of a scandal as Tiger’s comeback, but definitely one of sports all time great comebacks.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
This stuff about Tiger being a different person is sickening. When you get older you realize that you can change your behavior, but you're always the same person.

Sep 19, 2008
This stuff about Tiger being a different person is sickening. When you get older you realize that you can change your behavior, but you're always the same person.
What are you talking about. All the media reports indicate he has changed as a person. You can do that.

He used to be critiqued for disrespecting the game. He respects the game now.

He used to draw ire from fellow golfers. He respects them now and they him.

He used to be a disaster off the green. He has largely stayed free of controversy and just been working out and improving after his back issues nearly forced him to quit golf.

I don't understand why people feel the need to continue to antagonize him. Even @Dakota Sioux saw the light and converted to a fan. There isn't really any need to criticize him anymore. He is human like me, like you. He makes mistakes. He atoned for his mistakes. Can't we let the man just enjoy his win without trying to nullify his Masters?

"He's not a good role model"

"He's a BAD person"

How would you know? Have you met him?

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
What are you talking about. All the media reports indicate he has changed as a person. You can do that. He used to be critiqued for disrespecting the game. He respects the game now. He used to draw ire from fellow golfers. He respects them now and they him. He used to be a disaster off the green. He has largely stayed free of controversy and just been working out and improving after his back issues nearly forced him to quit golf. I don't understand why people feel the need to continue to antagonize him. Even @Dakota Sioux saw the light and converted to a fan. There isn't really any need to criticize him anymore. He is human like me, like you. He makes mistakes. He atoned for his mistakes. Can't we let the man just enjoy his win without trying to nullify his Masters? "He's not a good role model" "He's a BAD person" How would you know? Have you met him?
You're so young. You just don't get it. I'm a bigger Tiger fan than any born in the 90s infant. You can change your behavior. Some people think he's a different person off the course. You can't change your personality after age 4. He's not a different person, because it's impossible. Duh. #educationisgood

Reactions: Roman Fell

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
What are you talking about. All the media reports indicate he has changed as a person. You can do that.

He used to be critiqued for disrespecting the game. He respects the game now.

He used to draw ire from fellow golfers. He respects them now and they him.

He used to be a disaster off the green. He has largely stayed free of controversy and just been working out and improving after his back issues nearly forced him to quit golf.

I don't understand why people feel the need to continue to antagonize him. Even @Dakota Sioux saw the light and converted to a fan. There isn't really any need to criticize him anymore. He is human like me, like you. He makes mistakes. He atoned for his mistakes. Can't we let the man just enjoy his win without trying to nullify his Masters?

"He's not a good role model"

"He's a BAD person"

How would you know? Have you met him?
All that needs to be said to that tripe.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tiger is prob the GOAT now. The way he came back from adversity including public humiliations to family trouble to multiple back/knee surgeries to do what he did these past 4 days was simply incredible. His game's been improving by the day since last March and it finally reached the summit yesterday.

If he gets to 18, he's the best ever. Three majors is a big gap.

Nicklaus deserves the title until Tiger gets to 18, in my opinion.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
If he gets to 18, he's the best ever. Three majors is a big gap.

Nicklaus deserves the title until Tiger gets to 18, in my opinion.
Yeah it's still tough to argue against Jack since 18 majors is absolutely insane. I feel like Tiger has significantly more arguments (such as stats, records, awards, impact, and resurgence) to being the GOAT, but Jack owns the most important record (# of majors) in the discussion. I think if he can just get to 16 or 17, he'll really have a strong argument at being the GOAT since his overall body of work and peak dominance is something that no golfer (including the great Jack Nicklaus) has ever and likely will ever reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad