Post-Game Talk: The Masterpiece | Pens Lose 6-5 SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
That's the baffling thing, though. He did something that worked and then stopped doing it. I have a horrible feeling I know why, but still.

If you're implying that DB moved Engo because he's his buddy and Engo was unhappy in that role, I have to disagree. At minimum, we can agree that that would be complete conjecture. What's more likely is that DB decided that our 6 dmen tonight + Koby as a forward was a better use of personnel than Despres + our other 5dmen and Engo as a forward. I disagree with that logic, but what do I know?

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
So why is Megna not on the roster? I just figured he was going to be called up after the break was over.

And please no smugblysma.jpg

There are times I watch full games intently and not notice Kobasew at all. That's incredibly hard to do. It's like he mastered the concept of Mu.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Anyone who thinks the Pens have a chance at anything beyond a second round exit with a supporting cast of speedy, yet worthless, dwarfs, too many slow past their sell-by date D-men and and headcase mentally soft goalie is delusional. Is that harsh?

You nuts? The Pens PR machine will continue to sell this is a championship caliber team.

I hope Chicago ****s them up badly on Saturday.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Just for future reference, goalies, like myself, absolutely hate it when non goalies tell them how to play the position. It's annoying as all hell.

I've also noticed that goalies tend to defend other goalies even when their play should be absolutely indefensible.

penguins2946*

Didn't they learn anything from the Olympics? Playing goal for any team coached by Dan Bylsma is a monumental challenge.

It's not even that, Fleury just had a bad game. No need to act like the world is ending.

He deserves every bit of it with how erratic he's been his entire career. Make a ****ing save is what I say.

Games like tonight are precisely the reason Team Canada didn't want him near that ****ing roster, but I'm sure there are still some homers who wonder why.

He hasn't played in 3 weeks. And it was ONE GAME. Jesus, some people here need to take a walk or something.

I've also noticed that goalies tend to defend other goalies even when their play should be absolutely indefensible.

I'm not defending Fleury's play, he was bad today. But changing his entire technique isn't a way to make him not have bad games. It's just the overreaction that you always see on this site.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If you're implying that DB took Engo out of that role because Engo is his buddy, I have to disagree. At minimum, we can agree that that would be complete conjecture. What's more likely is that DB decided that our 6 dmen tonight + Koby as a forward was a better use of personnel than Despres + our other 5dmen and Engo as a forward. I disagree with that logic, but what do I know?

Bylsma clearly doesn't trust Despres so Engelland played defense, Engelland is one of his mini Dans and God help us Kobasew might be too. It just weakens both positions.

I think you know as much as me. Everything. ;)

Michael8771*

Anyone who thinks the Pens have a chance at anything beyond a second round exit with a supporting cast of speedy, yet worthless, dwarfs, too many slow past their sell-by date D-men and and headcase mentally soft goalie is delusional. Is that harsh?
Let's see what takes place (if anything) between now and march 5th.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Good job calling up Despres so he can sit in the press box. Makes perfect sense. Just trade the kid so he can be free of this organization. I'm positive he's at least a bottom pairing guy for almost any team in this league. Except for Dan Bylsma's Penguins of course.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
- I like Nisky's one timer on the PP. He gets it on net and that's exactly what this PP needs.

It's one of the silver linings of Letang being out.

- Seeing Vitale back was fun.

- Seeing Adams and Glass again ruined the fun of seeing Vitale.

- Madden's epic rant this afternoon comparing this org to the Atl Braves. I think this org and their decision making finally drove that cat off the deep end, but he was right on all points.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The usual suspects did their things. This game in particular didn't mean much but its nice to see that the good things are still good.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It's not even that, Fleury just had a bad game. No need to act like the world is ending.

He hasn't played in 3 weeks. And it was ONE GAME. Jesus, some people here need to take a walk or something.

I'm not defending Fleury's play, he was bad today. But changing his entire technique isn't a way to make him not have bad games. It's just the overreaction that you always see on this site.

And when he has those types of games when he hasn't had a 3 week break? What then?

penguins2946*

Let's see what takes place (if anything) between now and march 5th.

There's nothing we could do at the trade deadline that would make us a legit contender. Not enough assets, not enough capspace and too many worthless players.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
- I like Nisky's one timer on the PP. He gets it on net and that's exactly what this PP needs.

- Madden's epic rant this afternoon. I think this org and their decision making finally drove that cat off the deep end.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate on this?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

- Madden's epic rant this afternoon. I think this org and their decision making finally drove that cat off the deep end.

I only heard him from 2-3. What did fatso have to say after?

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Scattered thoughts (forgive my lack of exposition, I'm tired and frustrated):

- Crosby and Malkin were creating chances, but they're so damn undisciplined
- Neal looked hungry
- Our bottom 6 lacks an identity and are constantly hemmed in their own zone
- Maatta's poise is off the charts
- Orpik was our worst player tonight
- Engo would look great as a permanent fixture on the 4th line with Vitale and Glass
- Fleury didn't look good but he also wasn't as bad as the score indicates
- The dmen we iced tonight aren't skilled enough to project 100 ft. long bomb passes to our forwards. Our forwards need to provide puck support.
- The reffing in this game - both ways - was horribad

Makes sense. Paul Martin had been gone for over 2 weeks. Who is suppose to feed him breakfast during that time!? ;)

Fleury had a shaky game but he usually does pretty well the following game... which the Pens will need against Chicago.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

- Madden's epic rant this afternoon. I think this org and their decision making finally drove that cat off the deep end.

I liked it too. Usually that guy is blunt and disrespectful as a shtick, but he was genuinely, rightly, p*ssed today and not mincing words.

penguins2946*

And when he has those types of games when he hasn't had a 3 week break? What then?

Then he just has a bad game. Believe it or not, a goalie isn't going to have a .925 save% every game. Goalies can have bad games as well.

I would be concerned if he did this for la stretch of games. But this is just blatant overreaction. It was 1 game after a 3 week game.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

He's over worked, system, bad night, bad luck.

I try not to care what he does in the regular season, good or bad, but seeing this is concerning. Aside from looking like playoff Fleury he's failed at his one constant twice, that fragile confidence. A swift recovery to Vokoun.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

It's a shame considering we got a steal in Maatta who's potential is thru the roof and a steal in Neal to go along with the two best players in the world yet we have so many glaring issues. We got very lucky with those two. You'd think it would be unfair, but then you look at the rest of the lineup. Can blame the cap for a lot of it, but continuing to draft dmen ( with no legit forwards in the system ) and so far only getting rentals out of them( not playing the others that are ready) that other blame is on Shero.

Sure we still have D prospects so I can't say it's too late for Shero to make legit hockey trades for a solid winger but we just shouldn't be in the situation we are in. Obviously having MAlkin and Crosby, it's going to be hard for us to fill out the rest of the lines but there shouldn't be this many holes in it.

It would of course look better with Bennett and Dupuis, but there's no reason not to have any depth whatsoever considering this team knowing how many injuries we pile up each year.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
My favorite tweet of the night:

Joe Starkey ‏@JoeStarkey1 20m
Bylsma on Depres: 'He wasn’t in there tonight, but he’s a guy we need to get back in there. He’ll get that opportunity sooner than later.'

Introspective indeed.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I only heard him from 2-3. What did fatso have to say after?

Paraphrasing

"So Dan called up Simon Despres to scratch him and he's playing Deryk friggin Engelland instead when two puck movers are out.

$&$$*$&# #%&%&# &#%&#&# #&%&# %#&& stupid ^*#^#* teacher's pet bull ^$^##^."

Well, that's not what he said, but that was the general sentiment of what he said.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bolded is what a goalie is supposed to do. When a player is screening a goalie, the goalie is supposed to go down into the butterfly to take up as much net as possible down low. It's called blocking, you won't have enough time to react to a shot, so you just get low and take up as much net as possible. Also, fighting through screens makes the goalie focus on something else other than stopping the puck. On the topic of him going down, well no crap. His technique is almost flawless, he's supposed to be using the butterfly.

Just for future reference, goalies, like myself, absolutely hate it when non goalies tell them how to play the position. It's annoying as all hell.

That doesn't make sense to me, why is a goalie suppose to go down in a butterfly when the shooters are shooting high in the corners, IF MAF goes down and a shooter shoots it high MAF doesn't have a chance to stop the puck.

I see goalies every night when there screened go down in a butterfly, but they move there head to the right or left of the screen to try and see the shot, MAF doesn't move his head at all to make any kind of attempt to see the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad