Post-Game Talk: The Masterpiece | Pens Lose 6-5 SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

- Fleury

We ill be seeing a lot of playoff Fleury the closer it gets to the playoffs, so be prepared.

Honestly all he needed to do was make a few routine save and the Pens in this game easily. He is a liability, and I do no even think the Habs had any good scoring chances besides two of their goals. No pressure, everyting perimeter, and Fleury lets in six.

It was one bad game. ONE GAME. The overreactions to Fleury on HF tonight are absolutely horrible.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
At this point, that Maatta and Niskanen played well should probably just be assumed.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
To all of those ragging on Fleury, give it a rest. I'm far from being a Fleury apologist but I'm not thick enough to be surprised by a lackluster performance after a 3-week layoff. This wasn't even Islanders-level bad either...this just looked like rust.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Look, right now, it's a two man show (Sid and Geno), with two guys who will help (Neal and Maatta), a guy who for the most part will have a good game (Nisky), and a pair of schizos who on balance are assets (Kunitz and JJ). Save those seven guys, I am hard pressed to find one redeeming quality with this team right now.

EDIT: ****, forgot Vitale. Please forgive me DV. It was an omission born out of frustration, not malice. :help:

I'll just quote what I said earlier in the GDT...

Man, **** this team.

penguins2946*

To all of those ragging on Fleury, give it a rest. I'm far from being a Fleury apologist but I'm not thick enough to be surprised by a lackluster performance after a 3-week layoff. This wasn't even Islanders-level bad either...this just looked like rust.

If you think it's bad here, go read the circle jerk on the main board. It's horrible. Someone said that there are 50+ goalies in the NHL that are better than Fleury.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Games like this used to rip my guts out. Just kinda dead to them now. If you think a game like this is reserved for "meaningless" regular season games you're dreaming or naively positive. The writing's on the wall.

The decision to take Kobasew out for Engelland at forward to get Despres into the lineup - it's something so simple that the mind is repelled. At least, that's the only way I can justify Bylsma's stupidity.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have no idea how this team has such a good record, they have been winning games with Geno's line scoring and special teams, eventually its going to catch up to the pens, you can't keep on winning games like this.

-MAF He keeps on going down and the other teams keep on shooting high, its so obvious what other teams are doing and MAF hasn't been able to adjust.

Another thing that drives me nuts about MAF is when hes screened he never tries to fight through the screen and locate the puck like other goalies do, when he can't see the puck he just sits in his butterfly and hopes the puck hits him.

+ If Shero is on the fence about trading for Miller this game could only help, the best thing that could happen for the pens might be for MAF to give up 10 goals on Saturday.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He's a leader.

"hey, I'm gonna blow up Boston's best wing on the first shift. Engo, you can fight friggin Lucic while I blow snot rockets on the bench. That should defuse the situation."

Man, "leaders" like that never made it back to base in Vietnam (or so I'm told by my elders).

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Look, right now, it's a two man show (Sid and Geno), with two guys who will help (Neal and Maatta), a guy who for the most part will have a good game (Nisky), and a pair of schizos who on balance are assets (Kunitz and JJ). Save those seven guys, I am hard pressed to find one redeeming quality with this team right now.

EDIT: ****, forgot Vitale. Please forgive me DV. It was an omission born out of frustration, not malice. :help:

That isn't injured? Or in WBS? Or sitting in the press box?

I'm just going to do the negatives, the big ones.

- Kobasew, worthless turd
- Adams, worthless fossil
- Glass, the best of the worthless, still worthless but he had the decency to get removed
- Engelland on defense, put him on wing
- Fleury, bad game. Two bad SO performances in a row now and looking playoff ready
-- Orpik, so awful. The level of bad that makes you wonder how it's possible, piece of ****. At least stop trying to kill your goalie and setting teammates up to be hit
------- Bylsma. Dumbass hasn't learned anything. He never will, it's not possible to mitigate him. Get fired, Disco. At least Therrien was kind enough to get fired.
- Despres, his presence in the press box annoyed me.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
The decision to take Kobasew out for Engelland at forward to get Despres into the lineup - it's something so simple that the mind is repelled. At least, that's the only way I can justify Bylsma's stupidity.

To be fair, if it weren't for DB, we wouldn't know what we have in Engo as a forward to begin with. DB was also criticized heavily by this board when he first tried Engo in that role. I nonetheless agree that Engo over Kobasew should be an easy decision at this point.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If you think it's bad here, go read the circle jerk on the main board. It's horrible. Someone said that there are 50+ goalies in the NHL that are better than Fleury.

He deserves every bit of it with how erratic he's been his entire career. Make a ****ing save is what I say.

Games like tonight are precisely the reason Team Canada didn't want him near that ****ing roster, but I'm sure there are still some homers who wonder why.

CrozJawz*

Calm down.

Sid got some points!

Still first in the East!

Fleury still leads the league in wins!

Still got a point!

Maatta man crushes all around!

Nothing to see here...:shakehead

Michael8771*

Despres not playing is an absolute travesty!

Beyond that I'm not gonna take much issue with a team that hasn't played together for nearly three weeks. Lots of overreaction. Damn!

Fire Shero*

-Kunitz was bad tonight. When he wasn't flubbing plays he was nowhere to be found.

- Fleury was in full playoff form

- Sid and Geno's dumb penalties

-Sid's right winger, for ****s sale Rejean, find Sid a respectable player for ****s sake.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Calm down.

Sid got some points!

Still first in the East!

Fleury still leads the league in wins!

Still got a point!

Maatta man crushes all around!

Nothing to see here...:shakehead

Did you see that bone crushing hit by Orpik for the Subway Sandwich of the Game?!?!?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
To be fair, if it weren't for DB, we wouldn't know what we have in Engo as a forward to begin with. DB was also criticized heavily by this board when he first tried Engo in that role. I nonetheless agree that Engo over Kobasew should be an easy decision at this point.

That's the baffling thing, though. He did something that worked and then stopped doing it. I have a horrible feeling I know why, but still.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Kobasew. That guy.

I like that in all his time watching games from the training room he never took the time to learn how our penalty kill works. He was grossly out of position every second he was on the ice 4 on 5.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Anyone who thinks the Pens have a chance at anything beyond a second round exit with a supporting cast of speedy, yet worthless, dwarfs, too many slow past their sell-by date D-men and and headcase mentally soft goalie is delusional. Is that harsh?

penguins2946*

I have no idea how this team has such a good record, they have been winning games with Geno's line scoring and special teams, eventually its going to catch up to the pens, you can't keep on winning games like this.

-MAF He keeps on going down and the other teams keep on shooting high, its so obvious what other teams are doing and MAF hasn't been able to adjust.

Another thing that drives me nuts about MAF is when hes screened he never tries to fight through the screen and locate the puck like other goalies do, when he can't see the puck he just sits in his butterfly and hopes the puck hits him.

+ If Shero is on the fence about trading for Miller this game could only help, the best thing that could happen for the pens might be for MAF to give up 10 goals on Saturday.

Bolded is what a goalie is supposed to do. When a player is screening a goalie, the goalie is supposed to go down into the butterfly to take up as much net as possible down low. It's called blocking, you won't have enough time to react to a shot, so you just get low and take up as much net as possible. Also, fighting through screens makes the goalie focus on something else other than stopping the puck. On the topic of him going down, well no crap. His technique is almost flawless, he's supposed to be using the butterfly.

Just for future reference, goalies, like myself, absolutely hate it when non goalies tell them how to play the position. It's annoying as all hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad