Sportsnet: The Marleau Accord - Patty Requests to be Traded to a Western Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
not that I don't want marleau of the team I do but is it possible that this is a chess move by leafs management to see if marner's demands lower?

marner and marleau seem to be close so this should be interesting

I personally doubt they are related at all beyond the Leafs trying to get more cap space.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think this tweet implies that the Leafs have already floated this idea by Marleau and would waive his NMC provided that it's back to a California based team. Makes sense, if true.
If true, will it be considered an enormous failure on Dubas' part if Marleau gives him an out and he doesn't use it?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If true, will it be considered an enormous failure on Dubas' part if Marleau gives him an out and he doesn't use it?

I'd say no, because he would still require a willing partner in California to facilitate the deal. It's not exactly a slam dunk

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto = No where near California.

Apparently Patty’s wife wants to be back in Cali, which is where she is from IIRC

Well, a wife's wishes can play a roll no doubt.

Patty is going to be traveling even more then with the additional travel involved of getting back to Bay area.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

As with almost everything, the answer is "Depends"

What if Marleau is willing to waive for SJ or LA but those teams want too much in the way of assets to make a deal and Dubas decides against it, then I wouldn't call it a failure.

If there is a good deal on the table and he just declines it for no reason, then sure, call it failure.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's as good as gone then?

Nothings set in stone. But theres enough smoke now to suggest just a matter of time before it happens.

This rumor fits with what was reported a few weeks about about how Dubas was looking to move out salary mid season to bring in another big named D man

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What if Marleau is willing to waive for SJ or LA but those teams want too much in the way of assets to make a deal and Dubas decides against it, then I wouldn't call it a failure.

If there is a good deal on the table and he just declines it for no reason, then sure, call it failure.
That would have to be weighed against whatever moves happen as a result of not moving him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Any team that gets into the discussion with the Leafs about Patrick Marleau are going to recognize that there will be few suitors for PMs services. Those teams are going to recognize they have leverage.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Any team that gets into the discussion with the Leafs about Patrick Marleau are going to recognize that there will be few suitors for PMs services. Those teams are going to recognize they have leverage.

Yeah, so you you have to decide if the asset cost associated with moving him is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad