The Markov Thread Part II - Deal or No Deal edition

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Will the Girardi deal (6 years @5.5) affect negotiations with Markov in any way?

What do you think?

Probably helps a bit if MB wants to trade him, but not a major effect. There are still other possible rent-a-players out there.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Markov is a #1 D, make no mistake. While he is getting up in age, he is still a solid minute eating D-Man. If he accepted a two year deal I would be ecstatic. Habs do have too many NHL players currently so I expect a move or two at the deadline.

#1 D on a poor team. Yes. If he wants more than 2. Bye bye. Sadly, we're going to give up getting a nice package for Markov only to crawl into the playoffs for the next 2 years. I do understand keeping him though. I don't agree with it, but understand.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's what I have been saying for months.

Moving Markov would no viable replacement would cause a lot of damage on a few levels.

There is very little point to keeping an aging vet on a team that won't be contending before he hits retirement.
Now, that's not me saying ''we're not good enough to contend within 3years'', I just don't think it's part of Bergevin's plan.
The only benefit in keeping Markov would be to help kids transition here and mentor them, but it isn't a necessity. I'd rather get a good return that could be a key part of our team in 3-4 years (of course, this is assuming Bergevin can get us a good return).

I expect Bergevin to not trade him though. He doesn't seem to be into making key moves.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
There is very little point to keeping an aging vet on a team that won't be contending before he hits retirement.
Now, that's not me saying ''we're not good enough to contend within 3years'', I just don't think it's part of Bergevin's plan.
The only benefit in keeping Markov would be to help kids transition here and mentor them, but it isn't a necessity. I'd rather get a good return that could be a key part of our team in 3-4 years (of course, this is assuming Bergevin can get us a good return).

I expect Bergevin to not trade him though. He doesn't seem to be into making key moves.

That doesn't even make sense! I'm sure Bergevin isn't OPPOSED to contending within 3 years ;)

Whether we contend within three years or not will depend heavily on the progression of our current youth on The Habs' roster; Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Beaulieu (he'll be back to end the season), Tinordi and, to a degree Subban (who still needs to learn how to dose his energies depending on the game situation and the clock) and even Pacioretty (who could become an all around force, not a streaky scorer who decides when he will play a physical game or not).

Beyond that, trades and the UFA market or a surprise within the system can also add something to the team.

The key, if Markov is re-signed is the way he can directly and/or indirectly mentor our younger Ds or the way his ice time will help Therrien shelter the younger Ds and ease them into a role on the back end.

If all the posters were to say we won't be a perennial contender for The Stanley Cup within three years, I would agree. Not contending when this team already competes well against PITT and BOS -- without enough depth -- is disregarding the fact that the East is winnable for the foreseeable
future if the system is applied and the G remains hot.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
That doesn't even make sense! I'm sure Bergevin isn't OPPOSED to contending within 3 years ;)

Whether we contend within three years or not will depend heavily on the progression of our current youth on The Habs' roster; Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Beaulieu (he'll be back to end the season), Tinordi and, to a degree Subban (who still needs to learn how to dose his energies depending on the game situation and the clock) and even Pacioretty (who could become an all around force, not a streaky scorer who decides when he will play a physical game or not).

Beyond that, trades and the UFA market or a surprise within the system can also add something to the team.

The key, if Markov is re-signed is the way he can directly and/or indirectly mentor our younger Ds or the way his ice time will help Therrien shelter the younger Ds and ease them into a role on the back end.

If all the posters were to say we won't be a perennial contender for The Stanley Cup within three years, I would agree. Not contending when this team already competes well against PITT and BOS -- without enough depth -- is disregarding the fact that the East is winnable for the foreseeable
future if the system is applied and the G remains hot.

Would love to keep Markov but with current salaries and future needs it makes no sense to sign him to more than 1 year and more than he is making now. Currently we have Price 6.5mil, Jorges 3.9 mil, Emelin 4.1 mil. Add about 6.5 or 7 mil for Subban you are at 21 mil without Markov and you still need 3 more d men. we could be looking at more than 30 mil plus just on the bck end plus a back up.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
#1 D on a poor team. Yes. If he wants more than 2. Bye bye. Sadly, we're going to give up getting a nice package for Markov only to crawl into the playoffs for the next 2 years. I do understand keeping him though. I don't agree with it, but understand.

LOL... he plays more than 25 minutes (11th in TOI in the NHL) for the team that is second in the division. He would be a #1 on a lot of teams.

With that being said, it doesn't really matter. Markov isn't going anywhere.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Going by what Miller went for I may chance my stance on trading Markov. Which should be couple first round picks, decent goalie in Halak and a decent prospect. That's 4 good assets for 33 year old UFA goalie. Take it Ott and Stewart is a wash.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So rumor is that there was a serious offer made that Habs rejected. I will be shocked if Markov goes.

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
I believe that Markov will eventually accept a 1-year deal with the Habs. They're currently asking for 3-years only in hope to obtain 2, basic negotiations :)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If were building Long term,then you tell Markov he is welcome back this summer,and you trade him.

The assets we get for 18 games is worth it....

If he really loves Montreal he will come back as UFA.

A smart Gm would do this.

At worst you get a bunch of new assets,and 6 million to replace him if he decides not to come back.

If this team was a contender,no,but were not.,

Ship him out,give him a REAL shot at a cup.

He can come back this summer to Montreal.

Last edited:

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
If were building Long term,then you tell Markov he is welcome back this summer,and you trade him.

The assets we get for 18 games is worth it....

If he really loves Montreal he will come back as UFA.

A smart Gm would do this.

Yes but hockey remains a "business". If you do that, sure you might receive an extra pick and a prospect but, you might also never get Markov back... Alot of teams would jump on the occasion to sign Markov in the summer.

I think he is too valuable to the team right now to be traded unless a ridiculous offer comes in.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yes but hockey remains a "business". If you do that, sure you might receive an extra pick and a prospect but, you might also never get Markov back... Alot of teams would jump on the occasion to sign Markov in the summer.

I think he is too valuable to the team right now to be traded unless a ridiculous offer comes in.
Markov wants to stay...MB does seem to be in the drivers seat...I wonder if MB gives in on term, would Markov give in on salary? 12M 3 yrs?
I would rather see a 2 yr deal worth 10M...

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
Markov wants to stay...MB does seem to be in the drivers seat...I wonder if MB gives in on term, would Markov give in on salary? 12M 3 yrs?
I would rather see a 2 yr deal worth 10M...

He is not the first one who says that he want to stay but would leave in July...

2 year/$10M would be very good.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So rumor is that there was a serious offer made that Habs rejected. I will be shocked if Markov goes.

Smart dealers reject serious offers all the time.....and end up with more .
Deadline still 4 away,if they are smart they deal.

Habs are headed out West,that is where the interest is.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Mon, 3 mar 2014 Canadiens Kings *
wed, 5 mar 2014 Canadiens Ducks

thu, 6 mar 2014 Canadiens Coyotes
sat, 8 mar 2014 Canadiens Sharks

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Yes it does!! :cry:

For all we know someone seriously offered a 2nd and a C prospect for Markov. We'd be better off re-signing him if that's the type of return he'll get. 3 more years of Markov is better than 10 games of garbage character second rounder who only gets games to try and save face.

I'd prefer Bergevin not make any trades if he doesn't have to, he's been fleeced nearly every time.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Markov is still good but he will soon face away as he's an aging player. They should try to trade him and then get a Tyler Myers or à Christian Erhoff from Buffalo. They are not as good right now, but it would be a good move for the long run... And Myers has upside in a move like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad