The Markov Thread Part II - Deal or No Deal edition

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Habs are a better team with the General in the line up. He has a couple of good years left.

It's not just a better team, but in a better position to develop Tinordi Beaulieu and other young d-men. Throwing them in the deep end and expecting them to play 20 minutes a night against top lines is not a good recipe. Just look at Edmonton, having a quality high end veteran like Markov to help insulate the kids is well worth passing on another pick and prospect and having the next 2 years go sideways.

Montreal is a nice place to play when winning, or at least a playoff team, not very nice when losing...not good for developing, not good for UFA's and not good when a GM looks for a home town discount.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That Gorges and Pacioretty can turn into Blunden and Hugh Jessiman. You are trading a known for unknowns.

The problem with most posts here is you ARE NOT the GM, you don't have to answer to an owner or players...plus people don't appreciate how hard it is to improve as a team once you take step backwards.

Teams like Calagary and Buffalo will do it...not because they WANT but because they HAVE NO CHOICE.

Oh yes,and guys like Souray,Streit,Saku,Komo ,Ryder never got you one pick.....or asset.
They all walked away....for free
Wonder why 21 years no cup?

Ironic your leading scorer is becuase of Rivet trade.......imagine if we didnt trade Rivet...Where would this team be without Max Pac?

What could have Saku Souray Streit Komo Ryder,gave us in assets?
If it was one more Max Pac type it is worth it........letting them walk for free guaranteed your a loser.

As i said 4 year deal waiting in Washingtion...Habs dont have a deal by March 5th,and dont trade him.......will be idiots again

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Oh yes,and guy like Souray,Streit,Saku,Komo never got you one pick.....

They all walked away....for free
Wonder why 21 year no cup?
Ironic your leadi g scorer is becuase of Rivet trade.......imagine if we didnt trade Rivet...Where would this team be with Max Pac?

What could have Saku Souray Streit Komo,gave us in assets?
If it wss one more Max Pac type it is worth it........letting them walk for free guaranteed your a loser.

That's my point, DON'T let him walk for free, sign him for 2 years. Investment in the present and in the young d-men, so they can develop at their own pace, not have to be rushed into top 4 minutes in desperation.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That's my point, DON'T let him walk for free, sign him for 2 years. Investment in the present and in the young d-men, so they can develop at their own pace, not have to be rushed into top 4 minutes in desperation.

He and his agent are not stupid asking for 2 years..,,,its a retirement deal...He wants 4 years....

Habs can offer 2 all day....Washingtion and his buddy Ovy will give him 4 years....

He will walk like any buddy else would.
Habs will be left with no Markov,but hey he did play ok in a first round playoff defeat.

Ha....lol why we suck for so long......

Then will hear ok dont worry fans, Dan Boyle here in Montreal 5.5 per x 2.

Markov walks for free....another asset wasted.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He and his agent are not stupid asking for 2 years..,,,its a retirement deal...He wants 4 years....

Habs can offer 2 all day....Washingtion and his buddy Ovy will give him 4 years....

He will walk like any buddy else would.
Habs will be left with no Markov,but hey he did play ok in a first round playoff defeat.

Ha....lol why we suck for so long......

Then will hesr ok dont worry fans, Dan Boyle here...
Markov walks for free....

Markov has said multiple times he wants to stay. I think a good deal for both sides gets signed.

I don't see Washington giving Markov 4 years. Maybe a desperate team like Edmonton, but doubt he wants to go there...

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Markov has said multiple times he wants to stay. I think a good deal for both sides gets signed.

I don't see Washington giving Markov 4 years. Maybe a desperate team like Edmonton, but doubt he wants to go there...

Alfredsson said multiple times he wanted to stay in Ottawa.

Just saying.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah i aint that naive.
Wash came in and offered Hammer way more than we did...

I tell you your only fooling yourself if you dont think Washingtion is a easy land spot for him.......Watch every Habs Caps games,you see them in the hall way talking to one another......
Bottom line Habs offer you 2x6 Or Caps offer youn4x6......

Only a fool will take the 2....

Ya Souray wanted to stay in Montreal so did Streit and Alferdson in Ottawa.But end of the day $ talked else where.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
They tried to lowball him, offering something like 3 mil on a 1 year deal.

Markov and the Habs are close on salary, apart on years.

And you think MB is not trying to lowball him? Offering him 1 year deal is lowball.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah i aint that naive.
Wash came in and offered Hammer way more than we did...

I tell you your only fooling yourself if you dont think Washintion is a easy land spot for him.......Watch every Habs Caps games,you see them in the hall way talk to one another......
Bottom line Habs offer you 2x6

Or Caps offer youn4x6......

Only a fool will take the 2....

Ya Souray wanted to stay in Montreal so did Streit and Alferdson in Ottawa.

Bookmark your post and we'll talk in 4-5 months, doubt you bring it up when he signs an extension...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Bookmark your post and we'll talk in 4-5 months, doubt you bring it up when he signs an extension...

Better yet go to the Sens board and read how Aflie will never leave....
Why not take a 1 year deal Alfie??lol ya friends in Detroit....like Markov got Ovy in Washington.

So low ball away Habs on term....

Saku K. Never leave Montreal....Or how Broduer is a Devil for life Or how Sundin is a Leaf for life.

Yeah.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
And you think MB is not trying to lowball him? Offering him 1 year deal is lowball.

Ottawa offered him like 2-3 mil less than he got as a UFA, do you expect Markov to get 8-9 mil AAV as a UFA? 6 mil AAV is a small home town discount.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Ottawa offered him like 2-3 mil less than he got as a UFA, do you expect Markov to get 8-9 mil AAV as a UFA? 6 mil AAV is a small home town discount.

Lowball is not only about the money, but the term also! ;)

On the market, Markov will receive offers for 3-4 years years easily and around 7 milions.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
NHL rumors: Martin Brodeur would not be surprised if Devils traded him...

Now the irony is NJ will get more out of Brodeur,than habs ever got out of Saku K,Souray,Ryder Streit, and Markov all Combined....lol

Trade Markov now.
If he wants to come back in summer,he will.....

But 2 year deal =he is walking...

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
William Karlsson + Devante Smith-Pelly

for

Andrei Markov + Travis Moen / Rene Bourque

That's the type of deal I'd be looking for. Near-ready talent as well as someone a couple years away.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He would have stayed had Gainey offered him any contract...

Like, much of the UFAs on that team that left that summer.

Gainey mismanaged that centennial season big time.

Nothing to be compared to today's situation with Markov here.

As i said earlier,Markov won't be part of a cup CONTENDER in Montreal,his age says so.
Montreal is still 3 years at best away......not counting a possible Therrien revolt next year which could set us back another 10 years,if PK and Pac want out of town....I would measure that risk at 6.5 out of 10 right now.

Therrien signed 3yrs in 2012....

So no reason not to trade him to a Contender as a UFA......He will come back after his cup run if he really wants too.....If not,he was walking anyway...and we atleast got assets in return....

No way Markov signs 2 years in Montreal......10 other team will give him 4 as a UFA.
It is how UFA works......

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad