Confirmed with Link: The @MapleLeafs have signed defenceman Teemu Kivihalme to a one-year entry level contract.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Teemu Kivihalme at eliteprospects.com

The Journey: Scandinavian Super Sleepers | DobberHockey – Fantasy NHL Projections and Analysis

Teemu Kivihalme – FA
This one is a bit of a longshot at this point, but I still think he's still worth highlighting. Despite what you may think when you hear his name, Kivihalme was born in Minnesota to a Finnish father and American mother and has represented both country at the international level. Kivihalme was drafted way back in 2013 by the Nashville Predators after starring for Burnsville High in Minnesota, alongside Brock Boeser, where he served as captain. Following his draft year, the blue liner played one season for the Fargo Force in the USHL, posting 12 points, and then headed to Colorado College where he played three seasons on some truly awful teams. Things started out rough from the get go for the freshman. He posted five goals and half a dozen helpers but was a minus-19. But to put that in context his teammate Jaccob Slavin, whom some consider one of the best defensive d-men in the NHL, was a team-worst minus-28. There was some positive to his first year as he tied for third on the team in power play points with eight of his 11 points coming with the man advantage. Things got both bad and worse in his sophomore year. Kivihalme led all Colorado College defensemen in points with 15 and led the team in assists, power-play assists and power-play points but was on the ice for 52 goals against at even strength which was the second-worst mark in the NCAA. So was his minus-33. As a junior he once again led the team’s blue liners in points with 10 and posted a downright sparkling, comparatively speaking, minus-8. No doubt sick of all the losing Kivihalme decided to forego his senior year and begin his professional career but it wasn’t with the team that drafted him. Instead he decided to head to the land of his heritage and came to terms with Karpat in the Liiga. So far so good for the rookie as he’s tallied three goals and 15 assists in 38 games for Karpat while averaging nearly 18 minutes per night. Most notably, he is on the positive side of the ledger sporting a plus-17 mark. Karpat is a powerhouse team, 19 points ahead of their nearest competition in the standings and has scored 15% more goals than any other team. That may factor in in his numbers being fairly strong. He’s currently been sidelined for the last few weeks with a lower body injury.
A guy who finished his college career with a mark of minus-60 doesn’t exactly scream future NHL defenseman so why is he worth your attention? First off, he’s an excellent skater with an offensively tilted mindset and isn’t shy about shooting the puck. And despite what the numbers suggest he has come a long way defensively. Signed through the 2018-19 season it will be interesting to see if he catches the eye of any NHL suitors. He’s a name to stash away and keep an eye on.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We have a Teemu, the Cup is OURS! :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Former 5th Round Pick of the Predators in 2013.

30 points in 60 games with Karpat of the Liiga league. 9 points in 16 playoff games.

He was 8th in d-man scoring this season

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
Not even worth thinking about until camp IMO. Any signing like this. Wait until they play because they are all unlikely to make a difference.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This kid is a lot better then other projects we have signed. His skating is at the NHL level and his shot is as well. Gardiner and Haisney and perhaps Zaitsev are all going to be gone. We need D man. Dermott got exposed in the playoffs this year so having more depth is a good thing. Rosen is the only D man who played in the AHL last season who could move up other then out two young D man.

I really like this signing.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Sure. Why not. Roll the dice, hope you hit on something. Was one of the top U-24 producing defensemen.

Reactions: AreBe

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm guessing we would have scouting him while watching Lindgren playing in the Liiga finals.

So instead of signing the big Liiga offensive star RHD we sign another small LHD??? I don't understand this at all.

We are actually weak at LD depth for the Marlies next season. After Sandin, who do we have? Borgman and Rosen could very well both be in the NHL next season.

At RHD, we have: Liljegren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rasanan*, etc.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Just give us the cup right now for next season. We signed Teemu! In his prime.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Feels so good to have an organization this proactive in the Euro FA market. Keep stacking the free assets.

Our recruitment team is doing an excellent job of selling, because there are definitely other teams where these guys would have an easier time getting a place in the lineup.

IcePhoenix

Nov 15, 2018
Finland
I know Kivihalme quite well, as he played for my favourite team in Finland. He is an offensive defenseman who likes to go deep to offensive-zone. Has a hard slapper, not very accurate though. Pretty good skater. I would say that he is poor man's Colten Parayko. Could be a gem or a bust in NHL-level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad