GDT: The Manic Monday Game|CBJ vs Boston|5-6-19|7:00 p.m.

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Man, I wish I shared the optimism of most on this board, but I think we are going to see handshakes tonight. This series has been a total repeat of the Caps series last year: 3 incredibly close games, laying an egg in Game 4 with a chance to seize the series, losing a pivotal Game 5 in heartbreaking fashion on the road, and getting blown out in Game 6 when Torts predicts a return visit to the opposing rink.

With that said, having the sweep of Tampa under our belt, it is very hard to frame this post-season as a disappointment. But with Carolina and 4 very beatable teams out West now standing in our way of a Cup, it sure feels like a huge missed opportunity that we may not see again in a long time.

Unfortunately, Boston was probably about the worst match-up we could have faced. I have no doubt we beat Toronto in a 7-game series with their style of play. This CBJ team just had ZERO time to skate in open ice and Boston was able to match our physicality. Also, Boston's play at the blue line has been the difference in this series. Their ability to keep the puck in our end while on offense and their ability to prevent us from passing or carrying the puck into their defensive end have both been remarkable.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I for once think that we will see a quick hungry Jackets team from game 4 against Tampa.

Game 7 is going to be very intense.

The season will end but not today and not like this

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In all reality , take your pick... Cam, Anderson, Bjork, Dubois, Foligno, have all been MIA.... seems like we might be due.. Also , Yes, I think Torts got away from what worked in the first series. Take away time and space, not overly agressive with the hitting, but swarming offensive pressure let by counterpunching, and skating.

I agree with you on the individual players, and IMO, I think Dubois has been better than most offensive guys this series.

However, at what point do you (and others) come to terms that what has happened on the ice is due more to what Boston has done different against the CBJ, than what the CBJ have done different against Boston.

TB and Boston are different teams, that play different ways. You have to prepare for that and evolve appropriately. The "blame Torts" crowd (that you are unquestionably a leader of) would find blame for him anyway they can that they are behind. Too much adjustment, or not enough adjustment. You say yourself, just HOW MANY guys have essentially no showed. That's on the players on the ice, BOTH TEAMS, not Torts and Larsen.

Its not so much our defense ("take away time and space/not overly aggressive) that's the issue this series, its the offense. Its that Boston is taking away time and space much better than TB. Also, Boston has handled our forecheck/aggressive hitting AND swarming offensive pressure/skating MUCH BETTER than TB.

A healthy Nutivaara or Murray is big also.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
*snip*

This series has been a total repeat of the Caps series last year:

*snip*

With that said, having the sweep of Tampa under our belt, *snip*

That's the ultimate question. How much Jackets-ness has been exorcised by this current group? No doubt some historical SOJ needs to be reevaluated but how much remains? Tonight will answer that somewhat.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If Murray was in the lineup he would be hit and injured and then we'd be be playing with 5 d-men.

Whereas with Werenski it would just be used as the excuse why he is playing bad and a detriment to the team.

Carry on.

MrBadguy

May 27, 2016
Jenner has been our best effort wise and with better finish would make him even better, i remember same thing happening last year when our big guys sucked Jenner was beast, is it because everyone sucks and you notice jenner more, or jenner butting extra extra effort to wake them up..

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Keith Jones felt the jackets were the better team the first 4 games, felt in game 5 the jackets legs were gone because when you make it such a priority to constantly hit a team with really good size. Felt that at the end, they fought thru dead legs fueled by Jones goal. Sucks that our local hockey media , and alot of the fans are just happy with a taste of success, when it reality , no way they should have blown a 2-0 series lead on the road in Washington last year, and are on the brink against the bruins in this series, because of Torts coaching.

If only we had the Golden Boy of Massapequa: Sonny Milano

A m I r i g h t?

Give it up, "fire Torts", IS NOT the answer.

Its not the answer to a question you don't even know exactly what you are asking.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Whereas with Werenski it would just be used as the excuse why he is playing bad and a detriment to the team.

Carry on.

Werenski has been blasted most of this season due to poor defensive play, and no injury occurred nor did anyone use it as a potential excuse. What now?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't feel the optimism you guys do. Unfortunately, I think Boston has us figured out. Our top guys are probably tired due to the minute overload and our secondary scoring has dried up. Boston's top guys are carrying the load for them again, and once they get going its hard to stop. Rask has also outperformed Bob the last two games.

Regardless, win or lose, I hope the crowd is awesome tonight and sends Bob and Panarin out of their potentially final home game with the CBJ right.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Boston made adjustments games 4 and 5; they let off the super hitting and benefited. They lived in our zone for long stretches of the game. Part of that seemed to be a repeat of the Pens series in the past when we were taking ourselves out of position to make hits. Hurt us on D (late backcheck) and on offense (Only two guys skating up the ice so they were forced to dump puck or attempt to skate in and hold the puck while the team gained zone). Not saying to get rid of the hits, but Boston shored it up and now we have to adjust instead of trying to force it to work.

All things equal, the two teams are so evenly matched it’s hard to predict. Hopefully the crowd shorts some of the microphones with how loud they get!

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I don't feel the optimism you guys do. Unfortunately, I think Boston has us figured out. Our top guys are probably tired due to the minute overload and our secondary scoring has dried up. Boston's top guys are carrying the load for them again, and once they get going its hard to stop. Rask has also outperformed Bob the last two games.

Regardless, win or lose, I hope the crowd is awesome tonight and sends Bob and Panarin out of their potentially final home game with the CBJ right.

We will find out shortly.

If the good guys cant win tonight then they simply dont deserve to win it all in June. Its that simple.

A fair loss is a fair loss.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
So is the 4th line really Tex/Dubinsky/Hannikainen?

I assume they won't play as much as Boston's 4th.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’m going to say this and you can flame me for it: if we win today and game 7 in Boston, the cup is coming to Ohio

There’s no team that can stop us if we get past Boston
That Carolina series will be tougher to win than Tampa, not as tough as this one.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I’m going to say this and you can flame me for it: if we win today and game 7 in Boston, the cup is coming to Ohio

There’s no team that can stop us if we get past Boston

That Carolina series will be tougher to win than Tampa, not as tough as this one.

I just want to make it there first before we start considering that matchup.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
With the weather, I'm wondering how our home ice holds up..

Still gotta be better than Boston's no? :naughty:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Man, I wish I shared the optimism of most on this board, but I think we are going to see handshakes tonight. This series has been a total repeat of the Caps series last year: 3 incredibly close games, laying an egg in Game 4 with a chance to seize the series, losing a pivotal Game 5 in heartbreaking fashion on the road, and getting blown out in Game 6 when Torts predicts a return visit to the opposing rink.

With that said, having the sweep of Tampa under our belt, it is very hard to frame this post-season as a disappointment. But with Carolina and 4 very beatable teams out West now standing in our way of a Cup, it sure feels like a huge missed opportunity that we may not see again in a long time.

Unfortunately, Boston was probably about the worst match-up we could have faced. I have no doubt we beat Toronto in a 7-game series with their style of play. This CBJ team just had ZERO time to skate in open ice and Boston was able to match our physicality. Also, Boston's play at the blue line has been the difference in this series. Their ability to keep the puck in our end while on offense and their ability to prevent us from passing or carrying the puck into their defensive end have both been remarkable.

Can you wait until the game is over before posting your post-mortem?

I'm not super optimistic about tonight but it's hockey, you never know. Some of us will pretend but we don't know.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Go Jackets. Skate hard as a five-man unit, each player letting their game rip, whether that's passing, RECEIVING A PASS, shooting, saving, hitting or back-checking. Don't go looking for hits, they will be right in front of you and when they are, bullseye. But focus that checking/hitting on the forecheck, where the turnover matters!!!!!

I sensed they got a little tight once up 2-1; the complete underdog title started to shift to "oh my god, we can do this?" Or at least I DID! Lol.

If they skate and handle the puck, I expect good things tonight.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad