Online Series: The Mandalorian III- NO Politics-Mysterious disappearance of Cara Dune

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The rest of the fanbase and Legends disagrees
At the climax of the battle, he was leading a strafing run of key locations on the Executor where he attempted to perform a trench run and took out several turbolasers[2] before point-blank fire struck the left side of his A-wing, sending it into a spin. Knowing that his fighter was critically damaged, Crynyd managed to regain enough control of his starfighter to sacrifice himself as he flew it into the unshielded bridge of Executor. The wedge shaped fighter penetrated the bridge and its large fuel reserve ignited in a fireball that annihilated the command tower, killing Crynyd, Admiral Piett and the entire bridge crew instantly.[3] With control lost, and in the middle of a battle maneuver, the mighty warship crashed into the second Death Star, thus turning the tide of the battle.[1]

Yeah, I was just reading up on it. I think it's still unclear. It always seemed to me like he was trying to pull himself out of the spin... and he nearly does, but runs out of time.

Either way... okay now we're up to 4 times... only twice in 11 movies... over hundreds of hours of content. Hardly a overused, or even often-used tactic.

Reactions: Jussi and Lt Dan

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
The Dr. Pershing thing turned out to be just a red herring. They made it seem like it was going to be a bigger part of the series, when really all he was was a means to an end. Gideon needed the right tools and notes to finish his project, Dr. Pershing could get it for him. Thanks doc, now I'm going to fry your brain. Bye.

The Grogu thing at the end was really cool. That felt like a star wars moment.
I don't think that was about getting Gideon any tools or info. I think it was just about silencing Pershing so he couldn't provide any secrets or data to the New Republic. Whatever they pulled out of the Star Destroyer was handed to the arresting agents by Elia Kane.

Reactions: Jussi

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm trying to remember another time besides TLJ where the good guys have crashed their ship on purpose to win a battle. Maybe I'm mistaken, and it is early in the day, but I legitimately can't remember another one.

(I just remembered they used this tactic in the Battle of Ryloth on TCW... so two other times... maybe there are others?)
Yeah, I was just reading up on it. I think it's still unclear. It always seemed to me like he was trying to pull himself out of the spin... and he nearly does, but runs out of time.

Either way... okay now we're up to 4 times... only twice in 11 movies... over hundreds of hours of content. Hardly a overused, or even often-used tactic.

They also do it in the Battle of Jakku, literally the next major battle in canon after Endor and the definitive win for the Rebellion against the Empire. Commodore Agate crashes her Starhawk into the super star destroyer Ravager winning the battle. I think there was another instance in the Yuzhan Vong series but I don't remember which book.

Not quite the same but in Rogue One they crash a Corvette into a SD that then crashes into another to break the planetary shield as well. Which was a cool adaption, but still. Just maybe some variety in tactics beyond 'imma crash my ship into their ship and die in blaze of glory' could win one of these space battles.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They also do it in the Battle of Jakku, literally the next major battle in canon after Endor and the definitive win for the Rebellion against the Empire. Commodore Agate crashes her Starhawk into the super star destroyer Ravager winning the battle. I think there was another instance in the Yuzhan Vong series but I don't remember which book.

Not quite the same but in Rogue One they crash a Corvette into a SD that then crashes into another to break the planetary shield as well. Which was a cool adaption, but still. Just maybe some variety in tactics beyond 'imma crash my ship into their ship and die in blaze of glory' could win one of these space battles.

I would consider the way they used the Hammerhead in Rogue One to be entirely different. Those things were specifically designed for ramming, so using it that way only makes sense. It’s not clear to me that it was destroyed as part of that maneuver or elsewhere in the battle.

Fair enough about Jakku. That business with the Yuzhan Vong doesn’t… doesn’t count.

There are tons of other tactics used throughout the series. Still not really buying it being overused.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There wasn't much to get excited about during the first few episodes...

It felt like I was watching a children's show during the first couple of episodes, with almost all of Mando's dialogue being expositional

Seriously, is there a more boring, uncharismatic lead character in all of television?

And then episode 3 rolls around, and I couldn't care less about any of the amnesty characters!

I think there's a very good chance this'll be the final season I watch of this show...

Season 3 has been absolute shit!

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would consider the way they used the Hammerhead in Rogue One to be entirely different. Those things were specifically designed for ramming, so using it that way only makes sense. It’s not clear to me that it was destroyed as part of that maneuver or elsewhere in the battle.

Fair enough about Jakku. That business with the Yuzhan Vong doesn’t… doesn’t count.

There are tons of other tactics used throughout the series. Still not really buying it being overused.

I'm not trying to sell it to you. Totally ok to have a difference of opinion on this.

To me it's lazy writing to see it so often but if it's something different to you that's all good.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It felt like I was watching a children's show during the first couple of episodes, with almost all of Mando's dialogue being expositional

Seriously, is there a more boring, uncharismatic lead character in all of television?

And then episode 3 rolls around, and I couldn't care less about any of the amnesty characters!

I think there's a very good chance this'll be the final season I watch of this show...

I mean, Mandalorians aren't exactly talkative or social individuals.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

It's not.

Absolutely. Creator Jon Favreau has already confirmed that Season Four is a go. "I’ve written it already," Favreau told French news station BFMTV. "We have to know where we’re going to tell a fully formed story. We had mapped it out, [Ahsoka showrunner] Dave [Filoni] and I, and slowly you start to write each episode. I was writing it during post-production. All of it has to feel like a continuation and one full story."

Season 4, Skeleton Crew and Ahsoka, with possibly a season 2 of the latter, will lead into Filoni's movie.

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener

The show has certainly deviated from the "grittiness" of S1, killing the "I have spoken" dogman, and IG-11.

Now Bo (the new co-lead, Mandalorian means any it seems) gets to do superhero poses while delivering cliché lines.

We also need to still find out where Gideon got the midi-chlorians to insert into his cl....OMG it's so stupid!
BMa.gif

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The show has certainly deviated from the "grittiness" of S1, killing the "I have spoken" dogman, and IG-11.

Now Bo (the new co-lead, Mandalorian means any it seems) gets to do superhero poses while delivering cliché lines.

We also need to still find out where Gideon got the midi-chlorians to insert into his cl....OMG it's so stupid!
BMa.gif
The season ending made it fairly clear the focus will be more on Din Djarrin and Din Grogu next season.

I think Dr Pershing maybe got some samples from Grogu before being interrupted. But Gideon also said his clones were not ready so them having Force powers was not completed yet.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Hoping Favreau and Filoni finally got reestablishing Mandalore out of their systems. It was fine as an arc this season but I am much more interested in the note they closed on ... let Din and Grogu got adventuring.

The more bogged down the show becomes on lore and retroactively setting up the sequels (clones, WE GET IT), the less interesting it becomes.

They got a good thing going with Din and Grogu. Quit f***ing around with side characters and use the strength you have.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hoping Favreau and Filoni finally got reestablishing Mandalore out of their systems. It was fine as an arc this season but I am much more interested in the note they closed on ... let Din and Grogu got adventuring.

The more bogged down the show becomes on lore and retroactively setting up the sequels (clones, WE GET IT), the less interesting it becomes.

They got a good thing going with Din and Grogu. Quit f***ing around with side characters and use the strength you have.
I both agree and disagree with things you said. The ending does give room the focus to shift back on Din Djarrin and Din Grogu. But for those of us who watched Clone Wars and Rebels can feel that there is so much story with Mand'alore, it's history, present and future. They are just too "cool" to be left in the sidelines in the future. And I think they will be seen in some way in season 4 to set up things for the movie and in the movie.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I both agree and disagree with things you said. The ending does give room the focus to shift back on Din Djarrin and Din Grogu. But for those of us who watched Clone Wars and Rebels can feel that there is so much story with Mand'alore, it's history, present an future. They are just too "cool" to be left in the sidelines in the future. And I think they will be seen in some way in season 4 to set up things for the movie and in the movie.
I watched Rebels and Clone Wars too. But honestly the more they build out that story line the less "cool" I think it is. I don't hate it but it's increasingly less compelling and i like other components of the show more. It's the same problem with the Jedi where as you build out the customs and culture it all starts to feel kinda corny and arbitrary. And honestly they all start to become less interesting and kinda same-y... everyone is basically good and honorable at the end of the day.

I don't forsee them being sidelined at all. Filoni and Favreau love it too much. My hope is it becomes like Nevarro or Tattooine where it's just a check-in stop for an episode. But if they want to do a show about Mandalore, I wish they'd just spin off into it's own thing. I'd watch that. I just don't want this show to be that.

I think Star Wars' biggest overarching historic problem has been an over-emphasis on explaining things and not enough work on character and story. Connecting A to B to Z isn't a story, it's logistics.

They have some winning characters here. Let them loose!

• Love
Reactions: Osprey and Hivemind

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Din Djarin isn’t really a deep enough character to carry the show on his own (or even with a sidekick) for more than a season and that already happened.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I watched Rebels and Clone Wars too. But honestly the more they build out that story line the less "cool" I think it is. I don't hate it but it's increasingly less compelling and i like other components of the show more. It's the same problem with the Jedi where as you build out the customs and culture it all starts to feel kinda corny and arbitrary. And honestly they all start to become less interesting and kinda same-y... everyone is basically good and honorable at the end of the day.

I don't forsee them being sidelined at all. Filoni and Favreau love it too much. My hope is it becomes like Nevarro or Tattooine where it's just a check-in stop for an episode. But if they want to do a show about Mandalore, I wish they'd just spin off into it's own thing. I'd watch that. I just don't want this show to be that.

I think Star Wars' biggest overarching historic problem has been an over-emphasis on explaining things and not enough work on character and story. Connecting A to B to Z isn't a story, it's logistics.

They have some winning characters here. Let them loose!
Let's be reality, Star Wars wasn't exactly built with a clear universe in mind and has managed to contradict/confuse itself from the start. George, you got some 'splaining to do! So yeah, I think it's good that they've used properties such as Clone Wars and Rebels to expand the universe and explain stuff more. It's become more coherent than it was after the OT and prequel movies.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Let's be reality, Star Wars wan't exactly built with a clear universe in mind and has managed to contradict/confuse itself from the start. George, you got some 'splaining to do! So yeah, I think it's good that they've used properties such as Clone Wars and Rebels to expand the universe and explain stuff more. It's become more coherent

My point is they emphasis trying to make things coherent over making it really compelling. The animated shows were good at this. Live action movies and TV have been pretty lacking.

This season is a good example. We're learning more about The Mandalorians! Yay! And we've learned they're basically monastic warriors who live by strict, ancient rules and customs (except the ones who don't of course). They're Jedis with jetpacks instead of the Force. We really already knew this but the entire season basically underlined and circled these points.

That's not really interesting to me. Maybe I am in the minority on that.

Midiclorians are an explanation. Rey Palpatine is an explanation. Palpatine was a clone is an explanation. Young Han being "solo" when he is asked for his name is an explanation.

Explanation is overrated.

Adventure is fun. :D

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
My point is they emphasis trying to make things coherent over making it really compelling. The animated shows were good at this. Live action movies and TV have been pretty lacking.

This season is a good example. We're learning more about The Mandalorians! Yay! And we've learned they're basically monastic warriors who live by strict, ancient rules and customs (except the ones who don't of course). They're Jedis with jetpacks instead of the Force. We really already knew this but the entire season basically underlined and circled these points.

That's not really interesting to me. Maybe I am in the minority on that.

Midiclorians are an explanation. Rey Palpatine is an explanation. Palpatine was a clone is an explanation. Young Han being "solo" when he is asked for his name is an explanation.

Adventure is fun. :D
The viewership numbers for this season show that the minority you (and me) may be in is not so minor anymore.

The elephant in the room is the "show don't tell" problem (ie; that this show does the exact opposite of what should be done in visual media, and often times on print). With a quick search, there are thousands of example why this writing technique is vastly superior to basic exposition.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The viewership numbers for this season show that the minority you (and me) may be in is not so minor anymore.

The elephant in the room is the "show don't tell" problem (ie; that this show does the exact opposite of what should be done in visual media, and often times on print). With a quick search, there are thousands of example why this writing technique is vastly superior to basic exposition.
Last week it was literally the 3rd most watched show in streaming. I read somewhere that sites misunderstood the data from earlier in the season. The data was about "demand" but some sites reported it as viewership.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Misinterpretation, not a misunderstanding.

To be fair: both shills and detractors do this. You have to sift through the BS to get what the actual truth is.

This article gives a more accurate view of what I'm getting at.
To add a point that gets lost, there are millions more subscribers now in the US than in 2020 but the number of watched minutes went down for the premier episodes of each season. There are other facts that paint a bleak-ish picture. Take if for what you will.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This is 100000% true.

One of Star Wars' biggest weaknesses, dating back to George Lucas, is over-explaining things. Not everything needs a back story. Sometimes the mystery itself is compelling. Good world build often involves leaving certain things as just allusions, and letting the viewers use context clues and their imagination to fill in the gaps. Not every line of background charater, droid, or line of dialogue needs a story arc in a show or movie to explain it.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Misinterpretation, not a misunderstanding.

To be fair: both shills and detractors do this. You have to sift through the BS to get what the actual truth is.

This article gives a more accurate view of what I'm getting at.
To add a point that gets lost, there are millions more subscribers now in the US than in 2020 but the number of watched minutes went down for the premier episodes of S2 and S3 by 20%. There are other facts that paint a bleak-ish picture. And Lizzo..
Take if for what you will.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
This is 100000% true.

One of Star Wars' biggest weaknesses, dating back to George Lucas, is over-explaining things. Not everything needs a back story. Sometimes the mystery itself is compelling. Good world build often involves leaving certain things as just allusions, and letting the viewers use context clues and their imagination to fill in the gaps. Not every line of background charater, droid, or line of dialogue needs a story arc in a show or movie to explain it.
This. Case in point, Book of Boba Fett. He was great as this mysterious badass character, but then completely ruined him when they showed him as this old bald guy in his underwear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad