The Management Thread | Cap sells, but who's buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Given the expect cap jump coming, it will be a bargain price in 2 years for a first liner. Dude scored 99 points last season and is at a point a game pace this season. That’s top end, top like production. Yes he has warts, but scoring is hard to find.
We should extend Bo Horvat. He is a 50 goal scorer.

Reactions: rypper

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
are there resources / site with this info, out of true interest and curiosity (as was my question)

I didn't remember correctly, fringe players don't have a contract year bump. Stars do, but the data strongly suggests this is simply a year-by-year improvement that correlates with expiring contracts only because the best players tend to become free agents at 26-27. They maintain their improved play long after their new contracts are signed.

Reactions: racerjoe and andora

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not out of the question - IMO, he's always been a streaky scorer that can put up goals in big batches.

The real question is will he/can he sustain it.
Bo Horvat from January 1st last year had 20 goals and 32 points in 37 games.

His start looks like an extension of that and not some contract year narrative.

40 goals and 59 points in 63 games since Jan 1st.

Weird that JT can hit a renaissance in his late 20’s and it’s par for the course but there’s skepticism around Bo doing it.

It just makes me wonder how good he could’ve been had he been given better linemates than Eriksson, Baertschi and Pearson over the years.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

I didn't remember correctly, fringe players don't have a contract year bump. Stars do, but the data strongly suggests this is simply a year-by-year improvement that correlates with expiring contracts only because the best players tend to become free agents at 26-27. They maintain their improved play long after their new contracts are signed.
cool thank you

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Eriksson was a good example, every contract year he either scored 30 goals or got close but only by playing with that team's best players.

Well the players are doing everything they can to be of trade value, goal scorers are hard to find. The Canucks are scoring, defence not so much though and that is not ALL on this sad defence corps.

The one player noted to be on the block is Boeser and in a 7 goal game he ends up with only 1 secondary assist and 2 shots on goal.

OT winners against those teams show where this group is, not much better if at all, SJ going down, Arizona blowing it up and Montreal in year one of a rebuild.

Just have to wait a bit for moves but I do hope they are decisive in looking 5 years into the future. It would be nice to have a first line all around 24yrs old and believing they will win most games where they score 3 goals.

The panic of management might be evident in the between periods observations of the host. First period Drance and Murphy starts with, "we already decide what to talk about" and then not a comment on the game, second period he hosts a comedian and talk about his career. The only thing about that at that time was both were sadly funny. Sanitation and censorship during the game.

Is this the future of hockey broadcasts for the Canucks, between period interviews about anything other than the game? Maybe next game it will be the life and times of Homer Simpson.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Weird that JT can hit a renaissance in his late 20’s and it’s par for the course but there’s skepticism around Bo doing it.

It just makes me wonder how good he could’ve been had he been given better linemates than Eriksson, Baertschi and Pearson over the years.
Miller will be a carbon copy of Bertuzzi, a one off. Maybe 3 more good years.

How good could Bo have been? Benning's square peg in round hole. I think Benning would have traded him except he kept winning all those face offs and they needed a distraction and the sales item.

Horvat learned that stats get better contracts, already critiqued for defensive play he goes all out for scoring.

But this is not a good enough team, he is in his prime NOW, maybe the best he will ever be.

He has been a good soldier and deserves the chance at a cup. IMO he will be a beast in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hit the post

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Is this the future of hockey broadcasts for the Canucks, between period interviews about anything other than the game? Maybe next game it will be the life and times of Homer Simpson.
Honestly, that would be pretty cool. No one used to even mention the inner workings of the team on broadcasts unless a trade happened, or a Pavel Bure arriving type situation. I have a nostalgic appreciation for the old BCTV broadcasts, that were basically a direct line from Danny Gallivan with no important differences (and we're now about the same distance in time from Bernie Pascall and his Lego hair than we were then from Danny Gallivan). The evolution of media in general and the addition of the salary cap in the context of player movement/valuation changed it forever. If I were a TV producer I'd have a throwback night with silly puff pieces between periods.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

I also feel like with Bruce and the emergence of EP as the best defensive C on the team, Horvat's been given more offensive freedom. The old regime never saw past their misguided belief that he was some sort of two way juggernaut like ROR. Also, doesn't hurt to have JT passing you the puck instead of Louie. :laugh:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Honestly, that would be pretty cool. No one used to even mention the inner workings of the team on broadcasts unless a trade happened, or a Pavel Bure arriving type situation. I have a nostalgic appreciation for the old BCTV broadcasts, that were basically a direct line from Danny Gallivan with no important differences (and we're now about the same distance in time from Bernie Pascall and his Lego hair than we were then from Danny Gallivan). The evolution of media in general and the addition of the salary cap in the context of player movement/valuation changed it forever. If I were a TV producer I'd have a throwback night with silly puff pieces between periods.
It changed when the NHL took over all aspects of media "relations". They dictate what is broadcast that is why social media is exploding and why there might be such a disconnect between team management and fan expectations. They end up seeing the censored and sanitized versions created by the NHL where a team losing over 50 games a year is hardly criticized and if anything promoted as being promising even if losing 50 games or more for 3 consecutive years.
A lot of fans here sure drank the koolaid for years before waking up and smelling the roses. For years they smell shat and were told roses, finally they learned how foolish and naïve they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It change when the NHL took over all aspects of media "relations". They dictate what is broadcast that is why social media is exploding and why there might be such a disconnect between team management and fan expectations. They end up seeing the censored and sanitized versions created by the NHL where a team losing over 50 games a year is hardly criticized and if anything promoted as being promising even if losing 50 games or more for 3 consecutive years.
A lot of fans here sure drank the koolaid for years before waking up and smelling the roses. For years they smell shat and were told roses, finally they learned how foolish and naïve they were.

They're still drinking it. Just look at all the fans that are still going to games.

It's also the way they are getting information now. Everything is algorithm based on their phones, so they only get the most positive and upbeat Canuck stories. Ask a young person or even an adult nowadays ask when they last read a newspaper.

Back in the day, all Canuck info was from Province, The Sun and maybe Sportspage. There was also CKNW with Dan Russell, a notorious critic.

All these real old critics like Botch, Tony Gallagher, Ed Willes and Russell are gone more or less. Only to replaced by the milquetoast people like Dan Murphy, Shah and whoever. iMac is an outright ownership shill.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
They're still drinking it. Just look at all the fans that are still going to games.

It's also the way they are getting information now. Everything is algorithm based on their phones, so they only get the most positive and upbeat Canuck stories. Ask a young person or even an adult nowadays ask when they last read a newspaper.

Back in the day, all Canuck info was from Province, The Sun and maybe Sportspage. There was also CKNW with Dan Russell, a notorious critic.

All these real old critics like Botch, Tony Gallagher, Ed Willes and Russell are gone more or less. Only to replaced by the milquetoast people like Dan Murphy, Shah and whoever. iMac is an outright ownership shill.
MacRae was like a dog on a bone, he never backed done from honest commentary and nobody was off limits.
I felt for Drance last night as soon as Murphy laid out the terms of the conversation. I pvr'ed it I am going to look again but I was stunned with the opening statement. Something like "we already decided what we are gong to talk about" Drance's eyes looked like daggers but he bucked up and got the pay check.

The only managing the team looks like they are doing is off ice. They are going to continue to censor honest opinions from the fans. Even IMac was finding nothing good to say anymore.

Roger's media in partnership with the NHL own several arena's and all the media rights in Canada with a few exceptions.
Control the message and control the mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad