The Luongo farewell tour

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lol why would Lungo retire. Its cake for him im Florida. His family is there, theres no scrutiny from fans or media. Litterally he is chillin, no way he retires.

Reactions: 53or8

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
They could always trade for him back and let him be their backup or ltir him if Florida won't

LTIR is not guaranteed. LTIR requires doctors to fulfil professional obligations and involves insurance payouts. I'm sure there's some wiggle room, but relying on LTIR as a certain outcome is a risk, particularly if Luongo's play could fall off to the point where he simply isn't an NHLer any more. And there's no way he's actually playing anywhere but Florida.

The only party that really needs Luongo to play out the contract or go on LTIR is the Canucks, and frankly I don't know that either the Panthers or Luongo would feel any obligation to help Vancouver out on that.

Exactly.

Not only might Lu/ the Panthers be indifferent, but it might actually be enticing to eat up an opponent's cap space. Any number of rivals could start reaching out and offering to trade for Luongo. If Florida is ready to move on, I believe Florida can ask him for a shortlist of teams for a trade. Luongo probably doesn't want to play elsewhere, so he retires. Or maybe the Canucks have to compete for his services. That leaves them with either a cap hit penalty ($8.5M for 1 year, $4.2M a year for two years) or an asset they don't need.

All because the league changed its contract rules, punishing a 100% approved contract after the fact.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
As a Canucks fan who foresaw this sort of headache transpiring the day that his ridiculous (and painfully obviously cap circumventing) contract was signed I can only say "I told you so". Making him the best paid goalie in history on the strength of one really good season was the height of folly for a team that seemed like it had to do something this outrageous in order to convince Lou to stay in a city where not only he didn't really want to live but where his family basically refused to live. I've been saying that nobody wants to play in Vancouver unless they are offered stupid money and this contract is exhibit A. Gillis took possibly the most overrated goalie in history and in one fell swoop reduced his trade value to almost zero (Markstrom who is barely an NHL goalie at all). When the NHL OKed this idiotic contract Lou L decided that HE wanted to be an even bigger idiot and cooked up the Kovy deal which was a bridge too far for the NHL who cancelled it and then (rather pathetically) backtracked on the Luongo deal by imposing "recapture" penalties on the Canucks (which would only kick in if he failed to complete his contract which everybody knew would be the case). Crappy deal or not the Canucks have only themselves (well, Gillis anyways) to blame. I still laugh when I remember the legions of Canuck fans who insisted with a straight face that Lou would play out this contract in Vancouver...

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If Luongo can't keep his sv% above .900, believe me he will retire. He has too much pride. Lu is done, he's slow as molasses and fragile as glass. he should retire asap as not to tarnish his legacy not only in florida but in the nhl.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Injuries at his age are career ending.

Great guy and great goalie.

Hopefully the hall will call.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
At this point, Luongo is guaranteed to enter the HOF. Very few goalies have had his high level of play for such a long time too.

Even the lack of a Stanley Cup isn't much of a black mark, as he was also saddled with some really bad teams and bad luck for much of his career.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
At this point, Luongo is guaranteed to enter the HOF. Very few goalies have had his high level of play for such a long time too.

Even the lack of a Stanley Cup isn't much of a black mark, as he was also saddled with some really bad teams and bad luck for much of his career.

That didn't help Gilles Meloche get in...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The canucks are fine pending he goes on LTIR and/or doesn't retire before the end of 2019-20.

Assuming there's a lockout a compliance buyout afterwards, they are fine, same with Preds and Weber.

Even if there's no compliance buyouts, the cap recapture will be changed by the NHL since the PA is weak.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The canucks are fine pending he goes on LTIR and/or doesn't retire before the end of 2019-20.

Assuming there's a lockout a compliance buyout afterwards, they are fine, same with Preds and Weber.

Even if there's no compliance buyouts, the cap recapture will be changed by the NHL since the PA is weak.

I have no idea how this all plays out, but I wouldn't assume anything regarding compliance buyouts or even that there will definitely be a lockout. And I have no idea what you're talking about with the last sentence. It wasn't the PA that came up with cap recapture, it was the NHL. If the NHL wanted to weaken it, why did they come up with it in the first place?

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
As a Canucks fan who foresaw this sort of headache transpiring the day that his ridiculous (and painfully obviously cap circumventing) contract was signed I can only say "I told you so".

This contract was signed in 2009.

The recapture penalty came along in 2013.

You sir are a G E N I U S.

Making him the best paid goalie in history on the strength of one really good season was the height of folly...

Wait... wut? :skeptic:

I've been saying that nobody wants to play in Vancouver unless they are offered stupid money and this contract is exhibit A.

Ummmm... many players have taken pay cuts to sign in Vancouver over the years.

Not lately sure, cuz rebuild, but you are talking about 2009.

Gillis took possibly the most overrated goalie in history and in one fell swoop reduced his trade value to almost zero (Markstrom who is barely an NHL goalie at all).

"Most overrated goalie in history" = Humour, correct?

Not sure if you know the meaning of "one fell swoop"...

What do you think Lou's trade value was immediately following the signing?

When the NHL OKed this idiotic contract Lou L decided that HE wanted to be an even bigger idiot and cooked up the Kovy deal which was a bridge too far for the NHL who cancelled it and then (rather pathetically) backtracked on the Luongo deal by imposing "recapture" penalties on the Canucks (which would only kick in if he failed to complete his contract which everybody knew would be the case). Crappy deal or not the Canucks have only themselves (well, Gillis anyways) to blame. I still laugh when I remember the legions of Canuck fans who insisted with a straight face that Lou would play out this contract in Vancouver...

You said "everyone knew Luongo would fail to complete the contract".

You also said "legions of Canuck fans insisted Luongo would play out this contract".

You were correct with the former, incorrect with the latter...

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I’m sure Luongo and Florida will help out the Canucks by putting him on the LTIR, like every other player on a similar contract has done.

If the Canucks have to pay the price twice for this while no other team (Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, etc) has to pay it even once, it would be a complete joke.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Has he really been that bad? Seemed like he wasnt too bad against the Rangers. Made a big save on Kreider. They left Namestnikov open on the PK. He got a brief look on Claesson shot, im sure he'd like that one judging by the reaction but it was a nice shot. He also made a big save in OT on a brutal turnover. The 2 goals Lundqvist let in 5 hole were probably worse than Lus GA. (Henrik made a huge stop in OT tol, robbed Matheson).

He cost them in the shootout, but its a shootout. Hes never been an all world shootout goalie.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The fact that he's had injury issues over the past couple seasons makes it easier to stash him on LTIR, or at least for Vancouver to reacquire him and stash him if Florida won't do it. It also looks like a deal Arizona would do for the cap floor.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This contract was signed in 2009.

The recapture penalty came along in 2013.

You sir are a G E N I U S.

Wait... wut? :skeptic:

Ummmm... many players have taken pay cuts to sign in Vancouver over the years.

Not lately sure, cuz rebuild, but you are talking about 2009.

"Most overrated goalie in history" = Humour, correct?

Not sure if you know the meaning of "one fell swoop"...

What do you think Lou's trade value was immediately following the signing?

You said "everyone knew Luongo would fail to complete the contract".

You also said "legions of Canuck fans insisted Luongo would play out this contract".

You were correct with the former, incorrect with the latter...

OK point by point then: No I didn't forsee the recapture penalty but I knew in my bones that this contract would cause endless trouble for the Canuck because it so blatantly circumvented the salary cap. It basically made Luongo untradeable and, naturally, he never had a season as good as the one before he signed the contract. Yes, I firmly believe that Lou is the most overrated goalie in history, the modern era's Mike Liut (who at least managed to win the Pearson award over Gretzky!). And anybody with half a brain knew that he wouldn't play out this contract yet I was castigated almost daily by Canuck fans (on CDC mind you) who swore he would play (and play at an elite level) until he was 42. He was a very good goalie sure but he was never a money goalie and has never been good enough to win either a championship or even an individual award. His one great accomplishment was his Olympic gold medal which required the best team in the world to be playing in front of him and even then he nearly blew it. If Crosby doesn't score that goal and some American puts one in he would have been tarred and feathered in Canada and if Burrows didn't bail his sorry butt out against Chicago he would have been largely responsible for the biggest playoff meltdown in history. Ridiculously overrated and overhyped...

P.S. Name me a really good player who took a significant salary cut to play in Vancouver...

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Has he really been that bad? Seemed like he wasnt too bad against the Rangers. Made a big save on Kreider. They left Namestnikov open on the PK. He got a brief look on Claesson shot, im sure he'd like that one judging by the reaction but it was a nice shot. He also made a big save in OT on a brutal turnover. The 2 goals Lundqvist let in 5 hole were probably worse than Lus GA. (Henrik made a huge stop in OT tol, robbed Matheson).

He cost them in the shootout, but its a shootout. Hes never been an all world shootout goalie.

Actually he has been a very good shootout goalie.

He doesn't look as sharp and quick as he once did, Lundqvist may have had a worse game, but at least he can string together winning streaks or even winning periods. Lu is just a mess right now, its sad to watch.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I’m sure Luongo and Florida will help out the Canucks by putting him on the LTIR, like every other player on a similar contract has done.

If the Canucks have to pay the price twice for this while no other team (Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, etc) has to pay it even once, it would be a complete joke.
I think it's better for us to let him retire, even with the recapture penalty.
Might not be better for the Canucks though.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Its funny. After his first 5 games people were saying he was incredible. Now he has a bad couple of games and he is finished? Which is it? A lot of knee jerk reactions about the quality of Luongos play.

That's all fan bases at all times of the year. Win 2 and you are God. Lose 2 and you are finished. Bi-polar is strong on HFB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad