The Low Hockey IQ Myth (Darnell Nurse)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
http://thehockeywriters.com/darnell-nurse-the-next-ones-nhl-2013-draft-prospect-profile/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/darnell-nurse/

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?8838

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-profile-for-edmonton-oilers-first-round-pick

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/nhl-draft-prospects-no-7-darnell-nurse/

I feel that this 'Nurse has low hockey IQ' trash is almost entirely an invention of HFBoards, perpetuated by fans looking for any excuse to rip on the Oilers, and unfortunately some members of this board have bought it. If you hear a lie often enough, right?

He was a rookie that looked like a rookie last season - in his first PRO season, not just NHL -, but most scouting reports I was able to dig up actually list hockey sense, own-zone play, and positioning among Nurse's STRENGTHS. That's not a low IQ player.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Let's put this is perspective. Justin Schultz just won the stanley cup. He looked extraordinarily bad here. Nurse has had a rough year here. What is the commonality? Our D corps is terrible. If you are a D man on the oilers and you are inexperienced or you have a weakness, it will be exploited mercilessly. So let's give Nurse a break until we see how he fares when (if) Chia improves the D.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
http://thehockeywriters.com/darnell-nurse-the-next-ones-nhl-2013-draft-prospect-profile/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/darnell-nurse/

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?8838

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-profile-for-edmonton-oilers-first-round-pick

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/nhl-draft-prospects-no-7-darnell-nurse/

I feel that this 'Nurse has low hockey IQ' trash is almost entirely an invention of HFBoards, perpetuated by fans looking for any excuse to rip on the Oilers, and unfortunately some members of this board have bought it. If you hear a lie often enough, right?

He was a rookie that looked like a rookie last season - in his first PRO season, not just NHL -, but most scouting reports I was able to dig up actually list hockey sense, own-zone play, and positioning among Nurse's STRENGTHS. That's not a low IQ player.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I still have HUGE hopes for Nurse. Not expecting much for next year... he could really benefit from time in the AHL, simply to establish confidence and his offensive game.

Here is to hoping we won't need him and therefore don't rush him onto the big squad.

I'd much rather have Reinhart break in for 2016/2017 simply to provide him a little more carrot

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

And none of that is a good reason not to trade him if you can get a better, more developed D in return.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So a bunch of scouting reports from his draft year is supposed to prove wrong the play that we all saw all year? The only lie being told is people trying to tell themselves that nurse didn't look like a chicken with his head cut off the majority of the season.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So a bunch of scouting reports from his draft year is supposed to prove wrong the play that we all saw all year? The only lie being told is people trying to tell themselves that nurse didn't look like a chicken with his head cut off the majority of the season.

and thats his fault? doesn't mean his IQ is low..

he should've been in the AHL learning the pro game like most 20 year old defensemen do

but Oilers

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not sure what this thread is really about? The OP isn't too clear. The citations don't suggest Nurse has low Hockey IQ, maybe fans on hf mains do, is that really worth talking about?

The mains is headache inducing for 5 mins and rarely approaches sensibility.

This is like a thread defending Edmonton from the views of people in Calgary, Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto.

anything Edmonton will be slagged. it means nothing.

Do we need a thread on this?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nurse does not read the play or move the puck fast enough. Does this mean that he's stupid? Hell no, IIRC he was a great scholastic athlete and he is a well spoken young man. That said either experience will fix this or it won't. There's no knowing which will be the case until we see how it plays out. But count me in the group that thinks that he processes the game too slowly, it was evident in camp and he did make strides in his short time in Bako but it was the case for mush of the season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
and thats his fault? doesn't mean his IQ is low..

he should've been in the AHL learning the pro game like most 20 year old defensemen do

but Oilers

I wouldn't be opposed to him spending much of next season in Bako. As
Chia said if Nurse and Griff are in the AHL next season that means that he did a good job this offseason.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nurse does not read the play or move the puck fast enough. Does this mean that he's stupid? Hell no, IIRC he was a great scholastic athlete and he is a well spoken young man. That said either experience will fix this or it won't. There's no knowing which will be the case until we see how it plays out. But count me in the group that thinks that he processes the game too slowly, it was evident in camp and he did make strides in his short time in Bako but it was the case for mush of the season.

This is what really worries me. The slow, lumbering defenseman is being phased out (look no further than Martin/Polak) in favour of quick, puck moving defensemen. On a team starved for puck movers Nurse isn't addressing this problem in the slightest.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Hard to say. It takes longer for D as we know to acclimatize to NHL game speed. Its a shock how little time and space a D has. Especially one that loves to possess the puck and has dekes and fakes in his repertoire. A lot of D with some offensive talent tend to look clumsy, give the puck away, and that they don't read pressure well when they get here. because for all of them they were able to do the things they do before they got here.

Its all about adaptation. Which is intelligence related and which Nurse has. He'll have to simplify, and refine, but he'll figure it out. The key will be after he's honed down his game to its NHL usable elements what do we have. I think we have a strong D with a good head on his shoudlers that won't panic, that has the compete of a champ, and some offensive tools. He'll be a good D, a good top 4 D.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
This is what really worries me. The slow, lumbering defenseman is being phased out (look no further than Martin/Polak) in favour of quick, puck moving defensemen. On a team starved for puck movers Nurse isn't addressing this problem in the slightest.

Because Nurse is a slow lumbering defenseman? Slow decision making as a rookie isn't uncommon, experience speeds the brain up and Nurse already has a body that's as fast as anyone.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Because Nurse is a slow lumbering defenseman? Slow decision making as a rookie isn't uncommon, experience speeds the brain up and Nurse already has a body that's as fast as anyone.

Exactly. Nurse is every bit the modern, mobile dman, and experience with the NHL speed will improve his reaction time with decision making. You need to be able to react to things before they happen, and young players just don't have that experience.

With what Nurse needs to work on, I'm not convinced the AHL is the right place for him. Just look at Klefbom. He was better in the NHL than the AHL, because he was literally thinking too quick for the AHL. Let Nurse stay up in a smaller role (not leading all rookies in TOI), and let him adjust

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I certainly agree with Chaotic Orange on this one. This kind of problem (low hockey iq) is something that can only be looked at over a number of seasons if a young player does not progress. (I think Yakupov is a decent example of this).

Nurse did not display a low hockey IQ when he was on the shut down pairing at the world juniors. Rather he looked like he had a good IQ.

If by year three he is not looking better then maybe one can make a comment then but sticking essentially a rookie with that label is silly.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Exactly. Nurse is every bit the modern, mobile dman, and experience with the NHL speed will improve his reaction time with decision making. You need to be able to react to things before they happen, and young players just don't have that experience.

With what Nurse needs to work on, I'm not convicted the AHL is the right place for him. Just look at Klefbom. He was better in the NHL than the AHL, because he was literally thinking too quick for the AHL. Let Nurse stay up in a smaller role (not leading all rookies in TOI), and let him adjust

He's not exactly a wizard with the puck. He needs more AHL seasoning or at least third pairing minutes. He needs the Davidson treatment.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Agreed the low IQ thing has always been a fabrication on here.

In fairness Nurse certainly does not come off as an intellectual in his interviews.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse is a tough nut to crack.

He absolutely made a number of plays last season that could be classified as 'low hockey IQ'.

I think it's because he played 50 or so more games with the Oilers last year than he should have.

Nothing in the OP goes to disprove the tag Nurse has been labelled with. All those stories illustrate is that Nurse does have some potential and it's too soon to judge.

If Nurse is making the same sorts of mistakes this coming season then perhaps the low hockey IQ thing will have more legs.

Let's put this is perspective. Justin Schultz just won the stanley cup. He looked extraordinarily bad here. Nurse has had a rough year here. What is the commonality? Our D corps is terrible. If you are a D man on the oilers and you are inexperienced or you have a weakness, it will be exploited mercilessly. So let's give Nurse a break until we see how he fares when (if) Chia improves the D.

Schultz won a ring playing 6/7 D minutes while making 3D money thanks to the salary the Oilers withheld in making the trade. He isn't a top four guy. That's why he looked so bad here.

The Penguins will not qualify Jultz. He will have to take at least a million dollar paycut to stay in the NHL.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
It seems as though people are confusing "hockey IQ" with poise.

Even in mythical, virtual NHL all players start with 65/100 'Poise'. Only when they start reaching their potential does poise go up.

Poise is the variable that determines your likelihood to successfully apply your strong attributes.

He has a great brain for hockey. He gets the game-within-the-game (Polak's nose can corroborate). He gets how to play the game. Give him a break until he gets some experience...

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Yup. Just a few words to fuel the conversation should do the trick:

A few fries short of a Happy Meal.
The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead.
He fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.
Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.
Forgot to pay his brain bill.
A few clowns short of a circus.

Yup. He's dead Johnny. Better find a new one. :sarcasm:

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
He simply needs to be paired with a solid defensive vet. He also needs to be a 5/6 until his play screams otherwise. He certainly doesn't need to go to the AHL to gain confidence, he has a ton of it on ice. Trust me when I say he is his worst critic. He has holes in his game and he knows it. Every defenceman that has ever played the game has been out of their element at one time or another. Scale his ice time back a bit and the right partner and he will be more than fine.

The Perfect Human*

Any Dman coming here is going to look worse than they actually are because of our dumb and or inexperienced and unreliable forwards. Hard to make plays and know what to do when the fwds are a sh17 show and unreliable up there. The best dman in the league, Doughty, could very well look pedestrian many nights if he had this fwd group to work with. Chia must drastically change the fwd group (with stronger, smarter more experienced fwds who know a little about winning) along with improving the d.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The low hockey IQ stuff came from early in his draft year.

He was trying to do too much and was making poor decisions in unfamiliar situations because of it.

He simplified his game by around Christmas and improved by leaps and bounds.

He obviously isn't the shining example of hockey IQ, but he's far from having poor(or no, like some say) hockey sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad