OT: The Lounge Thread Part LV - t-shirt and sweat pants edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Hey guys, I have a question regarding university loans. Hopefully someone here can help me!

I am thinking of making a request for financial assistance with the Aide Financière aux Études (AFE) from the government as I am taking some university classes this fall. I am only looking for a loan to cover school fees and books, nothing else (so about $2000-$2500 for one semester)

Problem is I seem to remember them asking a ton of questions about my father couple years ago when I made a request, even though I havent lived with him for over 12 years and he doesn't give me any money at all. They were requiring him to make a login access and fill up a ton of paperwork for absolutely no reason at all. So I just gave up and paid those classes out of pocket.

So I was wondering if you have any experience with this type of thing if perhaps I filled in something wrong. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to fill up the paperwork as simple as possible and to get the loan into my account as quick as possible as I am not looking for a large payment at all.

Thank you very much!
You're basically in the exact same situation I was in. I don't remember asking my dad to fill anything however.

Déclaration des parents

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
You're basically in the exact same situation I was in. I don't remember asking my dad to fill anything however.

Déclaration des parents

Thanks so you just filled the Déclaration des parents yourself? How did you know his line 199 amount from his taxes?

So why do they need to know how much my father makes if he isn't contributing anything for me and I don't live with him?

Do you guys know if there's a way to ask for a certain amount for a loan or they decide?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Thanks so you just filled the Déclaration des parents yourself? How did you know his line 199 amount from his taxes?

So why do they need to know how much my father makes if he isn't contributing anything for me and I don't live with him?

Do you guys know if there's a way to ask for a certain amount for a loan or they decide?
My mom filled it for herself, but what I mean is I don't remember having my dad fill up anything. I'll ask my mom tonight to make sure when I call her. But when looking at my personal info...
dab38ea8ee.png

Reactions: NA Scouting

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
There is a question that says: which parent do you reside with? If you don't live with any of your parents, tell us who you last lived with.

So basically they don't differentiate between people who are living with their parents and people who havent lived with them for 20 years

That seems so stupid to me

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There is a question that says: which parent do you reside with? If you don't live with any of your parents, tell us who you last lived with.

So basically they don't differentiate between people who are living with their parents and people who havent lived with them for 20 years

That seems so stupid to me
Because it is designed for teenagers/young adults. I cant get a loan because I rent an appartment my parents own and because they make more than 100k a year and because they dont live more than one hour away from me.

Im 27 and havent lived with them since I was 21.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
@NA Scouting so i've asked my mom, and she confirmed what i thought

We (my brother and I) put that we reside with her only and never had to ask our dad to fill or to sign anything (so she's the only one who had to make an account on the AFE website)

Even if she's been in a relationship (no marriage or anything though) with another man for 15-20 years, and we lived with him too obviously, his salary was never even taken into account either, which was great because it allowed both my brother and I to get a high % of scholarships

Regarding whether you can ask for a certain amount, I don't remember being able to; you just put the number of credits you're taking. However, I remember there was a question asking whether or not you wanted an additional loan amount (i think it was 150$ per semester) for school material (matériel d'appui à la formation or something). I never asked for that.

So basically, you get what they'll calculate for you based on the number of credits you're taking (and I don't think you can say you're taking 9 credits when you're taking 15 just to get a lower amount) and you and your mom's financial situation. If you get too much, you can always do what I wish I had done for my first 2 years and put it in a low risk investment since you don't accumulate interests on the loans until you stop receiving them for a period of two consecutive semesters (or is it just one? not sure). Or if you just need 2000, and they give you 3000, just don't ask for it every third semester, I dunno. I'm no finance expert though.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Because it is designed for teenagers/young adults. I cant get a loan because I rent an appartment my parents own and because they make more than 100k a year and because they dont live more than one hour away from me.

Im 27 and havent lived with them since I was 21.

Stfu you still live with ur parents, nerd

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Bought a DVD on Ebay and got lost in the mail. I had asked for a refund but the guy said he wants to send me another DVD with the same content instead. What should I do? Cause if I agree with him and still don't get a DVD, because I agreed with him, Ebay would declare the situation resolved and I won't have a refund either.

Yes it's me in the same situation again but I have not made my move yet this time. :D

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Bought a DVD on Ebay and got lost in the mail. I had asked for a refund but the guy said he wants to send me another DVD with the same content instead. What should I do? Cause if I agree with him and still don't get a DVD, because I agreed with him, Ebay would declare the situation resolved and I won't have a refund either.

Yes it's me in the same situation again but I have not made my move yet this time. :D

Frère...........

Reactions: Kimota

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Don't close the case until you receive it?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Don't close the case until you receive it?

Can we do that? That would be perfect. But I think there's a sort of deadline onn Ebay for that. Like if I communicate with the seller I have like maybe two weeks to resolve it and then it's dropped, the case is closed by itself. It means we have agreed with each other.

Last edited:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL

Yo. Just ask for a refund. Then order the DVD again if you wish, but not before you get your money back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad