GM builds team
GM wins with what he built
Team gets old
GM still has mandate from bosses to keep winning
Window closes
GM gets fired
New GM comes in
Rinse repeat hopefully

Some GM's don't ever even make it to step 2.
Rob Blake has been on the job 2-years and he hasn't really done anything outside of Dion Phaneuf and sign Kovalchuk which was probably not even his call.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So whats the next step for the Kings? A trade or a coaching change?

A lot of change is needed from top to bottom. The last player drafted and developed by the Kings to play on top 6 with semi-regular production is Tanner Pearson in 2012. So their drafting and development need work.

The coaching is terrible and the entire team collectively fails at hockey in any way.

They have so many players still stuck on this team from their 2014 cup win (Kopitar, Brown, Pearson, Carter, Toffoli, Clifford, Lewis, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Quick)

That's a lot of players to hold on to who have won one playoff game since.

Blake will probably trade players first, but it won't be enough.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So whats the next step for the Kings? A trade or a coaching change?

I think it has to be both, but it takes a special kind of bad coaching to have Kopitar AND Doughty and STILL find a way to have every team stat amongst the lottery teams

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
LA was the best defensive team (least goals against) last season and the team with the least goals against in the NHL over the last 10 seasons.

Whats going on in LA? Only Detroit is behind them in the standings (with one game less played than LA) and only Detroit has a worse goal differential than LA so far this season ...

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Has Muzzin been that bad or is he still serviceable?

To me it looks like he's skating on one good leg half the time. Awkward and choppy, especially when he has to try and react quickly in the d-zone. Has looked that way since he played for Team Canada at the World Cup. That stupid beard too.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
To me it looks like he's skating on one good leg half the time. Awkward and choppy, especially when he has to try and react quickly in the d-zone. Has looked that way since he played for Team Canada at the World Cup. That stupid beard too.

I haven't watched the Kings play outside of their game against Montreal, but in that game Muzzin's defensive play was pretty efficient. Has he truly been that bad since?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
they have their top players, just like all teams in the nhl, even bad ones have their top skilled guys...but then you also need good depth guys after your top guys, the great and elite teams have good other guys

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
LA was the best defensive team (least goals against) last season and the team with the least goals against in the NHL over the last 10 seasons.

Whats going on in LA? Only Detroit is behind them in the standings (with one game less played than LA) and only Detroit has a worse goal differential than LA so far this season ...
While having the 2nd worst pairing in Muzzin and Martinez. The numbers don't lie.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Speed is not an issue. The team is completely uninspired and disorganized. No hunger at all.

The coaching staff has tried to loosen up the teams' tight defensive style in an attempt to create more offense but it hasn't worked. All it's done is made them lose their identity.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
After tonight it's a safe bet they are done. The team is still built for when they won the cups and obviously the league is no longer that.

Speed is not an issue. The team is completely uninspired and disorganized. No hunger at all.

The coaching staff has tried to loosen up the teams' tight defensive style in an attempt to create more offense but it hasn't worked. All it's done is made them lose their identity.

Are you sure about that? lol

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So if anyone is wondering how a team with Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar in their primes can win 1 playoff game in 5 seasons.

Since the 2012 Stanley Cup (going on 7 years now) the Kings have developed 1 player who has been a Top 6 forward/Top 4 d-man (Tyler Toffoli a 2nd line RW). That is how you suck so bad with two elite all around players. You fail that miserably at adding secondary players around them.

There can't possibly be anyone worse over the same span.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They look as slow as the Oilers did last season, which is pretty damn slow.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think there were 5 Karlsson threads going at once, so 2 isn't that bad.

they merged them into one which is good

call me the negative thread police when it comes to beating up on teams--we went through a stage of 5 or 6 oiler bashing threads so I do not like it when we get multiple threads on the same subject

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Losing Quick has hurt the team a bit so far and not having Brown(who was a huge contributor last season) has also hurt the offense. Kovalchuk still has had some moments but so far he's been pretty slow and not as effective as of he could be. The fundamental reason they have been playing like trash though is the fact that Stevens is probably one of the worst coaches in the league.
Looks like Campbell has been playing better than Quick at the moment.

They need a new coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad