Series Discussion: The less important playoff series' (non-Caps ones) Part the First

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Saw the Reeves/Kane tilt this morning. Kane did very well for giving up the size and weight advantage. Plus, Reeves was fresh off a line change and Kane was out there for a bit.

The Sharks though look rough. Martin Jones has been awful all year long (Had him on my fantasy team and couldn’t drop him, thanks ESPN!) and Dell is super unproven. It’s crazy that he’s been that bad given the team in front of him and the fact that he has a SCF under his belt.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Aaron Dell has been just as bad this year but I don't see how they can go back to Martin Jones in Game 4.

Also Mark Stone has a chance to be the best TDL acquisition in years. What a player.
And they get to add Gusev on top of it. They can make their way back to the SCF for sure, especially with Nashville and Winnipeg looking like they are having down years

Jun 15, 2007
Man I absolutely hated it when people put the choker label on Ovechkin all those years so I'm loathe to do the same to anyone else...

But, holy hell, Stamkos is choking.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Epiphany:

The Bolts extended Cooper while Coach Q was on the market.

Q now works for the Panthers. Missed opportunity for Bolt's execs.

Good for us in the future.

Their fans will want blood if they lose this series... and it will probably start with Cooper

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Their fans will want blood if they lose this series... and it will probably start with Cooper

Firing Cooper after extending him a few months ago would be an epic management failure. All that committed money, but just the egg on the face look will be priceless!

Honestly I doubt they fire him. But this failure is glorious.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't know, this is not the same Vegas team the Caps handled in 2018. I might rather face WPG or STL.

Its not the same team as last years, but all 6 of their goals last night were by either offseason or TDL acquisitions(Stone 3, Stasny 2, MaxPacs 1). Granted for a franchise not fully 2 years old everyone is new, but the adds GMGM made last summer and at the TDL seem to be helping.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I truly don't understand this paranoia garbage. It's bordering on pathetic. The Caps are the defending champions and gave the Bluejackets the blueprint for breaking the Lightning into little pieces. These are the playoffs -- there are no bad teams playing and every round is going to be tougher than the last regardless of who they play. This team has shown they can beat any takers but if they go out and get beat by a better team then you tip your cap to them and say well done. This is the hardest trophy to win in sports for a reason.
I don't think there any question the Caps have a better chance of repeating because they drew Carolina over Columbus 1st round. The difference between the Pens and Isles or Bs/Leafs/CBJ/or even Tampa seems less impactful.

Reactions: calicapsfan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Man I absolutely hated it when people put the choker label on Ovechkin all those years so I'm loathe to do the same to anyone else...

But, holy hell, Stamkos is choking.

Ovechkin ranks 27th all time in total goals scored in the playoffs and 16th all time in goals/game at .502, and he averages almost a point per game (.097 points/game) in the postseason. He scored the Caps only goal in G7 in 2015 vs the Rangers. Ovechkin's choker label was always a garbage, forced (and false) narrative.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Ovechkin ranks 27th all time in total goals scored in the playoffs and 16th all time in goals/game at .502, and he averages almost a point per game (.097 points/game) in the postseason. He scored the Caps only goal in G7 in 2015 vs the Rangers. Ovechkin's choker label was always a garbage, forced (and false) narrative.
Pretty sure he scored the Caps only goal in the 2009 G7 loss to Pitt, though it was in garbage time.

Reactions: tenken00

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Pretty sure he scored the Caps only goal* in the 2009 G7 loss to Pitt, though it was in garbage time.

If anything, the narrative may have started when he didn't score on the breakaway early in that G7, and the Pens went on a tear right after that. Its taken him a long time to share the reputation, but rightly or wrongly a team's reputation and its captain's reputation will always be intertwined. He had a HUGE series, including the dueling hat tricks, but he didn't have a huge game 7.

* They lost that one 6-2 but he scored one of the 2. Still it was not a clutch performance.

Reactions: tenken00

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It looks like Vegas has learned a thing or 2. Team building. This is what I want to see after a cheapshot... not expecting the closest guy to fight.

Heh, yeah good response for team building, but all three of them could have gotten a penalty for their part in that. Two cross checks and one punch to the face. Playoffs baby!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Heh, yeah good response for team building, but all three of them could have gotten a penalty for their part in that. Two cross checks and one punch to the face. Playoffs baby!

Events like that are never dolled out properly. Even if they did get a penalty, it may be net positive in the end, as it will cause others to come out from hiding behind the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad