GDT: The Legendary Maple Leafs versus Jets again friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
One big thing I'm noticing in the PP vs. ES is our lack of movement.

We're not a traditional PP team, we don't have many (if any) onetimers setup, so stationary isn't our friends. We also tend to wait for a singular play to open up.

I'd like to see Marner and Matthews take back some ice, come out to the top of the zone to gain speed and come into the play rather than get the pass standing still and wait for things to open up. Do it together, similar to what Willy and Matthews did in their early PP days and it'll make a big difference IMO

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
One big thing I'm noticing in the PP vs. ES is our lack of movement.

We're not a traditional PP team, we don't have many (if any) onetimers setup, so stationary isn't our friends. We also tend to wait for a singular play to open up.

I'd like to see Marner and Matthews take back some ice, come out to the top of the zone to gain speed and come into the play rather than get the pass standing still and wait for things to open up. Do it together, similar to what Willy and Matthews did in their early PP days and it'll make a big difference IMO
They will do exactly that to get it going. The perpetual motion is gone.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
His stats say differently. Hasn’t given up more than 3 and had one disaster and got pulled. Giving good numbers for our #4 at the start. Better numbers than Dell is putting up anyways so he would have taken the 3 slot.
Earning his job. Looks good

Even the "disaster" was a bit of a knee jerk plenty of teams come back from giving up 2 early .

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Back to the PP topic our PP won't change by shuffling people , it will only change when we start using multiple systems to prevent opponents from setting up on us . The drop pass is supposed to be a delay to catch all our players moving forward while the other team is caught flat footed at the blue line , it doesn't work when the only guy moving on the ice is the guy with the puck . I would like to see us switch to the traditional 2 high point guys that can drop actual bombs not limp wristed muffins and variations of the 3 point triangle rotating low , the point guys need to hold the point not float around allowing the easy out .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Even the "disaster" was a bit of a knee jerk plenty of teams come back from giving up 2 early .
He’s been decent and i was quick to call him terrible when he was so I’ll credit him when he is playing good. Nothing to hate on him for like thete was last season. Thats where everyone paints him with the same brush. He’s better this year

Reactions: Buds17

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Should just go with 5 forwards on pp1

Willy styles - JT - Simmer
Mitchy - Papi

Gally - spezz - hyman
Muzzin - thornton

Frankly, doesn't matter who they put out there if they are still running the same playbook. They're too static and predicable, they aren't opening lanes, and they aren't shooting enough. There's no one time threat from either wing nor the point, opponents just have to box them out.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Back to the PP topic our PP won't change by shuffling people , it will only change when we start using multiple systems to prevent opponents from setting up on us . The drop pass is supposed to be a delay to catch all our players moving forward while the other team is caught flat footed at the blue line , it doesn't work when the only guy moving on the ice is the guy with the puck . I would like to see us switch to the traditional 2 high point guys that can drop actual bombs not limp wristed muffins and variations of the 3 point triangle rotating low , the point guys need to hold the point not float around allowing the easy out .

You and I have the exact same thoughts around different systems.

Reactions: cannucky

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Frankly, doesn't matter who they put out there if they are still running the same playbook. They're too static and predicable, they aren't opening lanes, and they aren't shooting enough. There's no one time threat from either wing nor the point, opponents just have to box them out.
Exactly box to the outside and clog the down low passing lanes , exactly what we are seeing from opponents .

Reactions: dubplatepressure

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
There's no rule that says you have to play 1 system per PP we need to switch between multiple systems every possession .

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Probably not the guy you want to lean on long term, but 2.49 and .915 in 7 GP is nowhere close to 'disgrace' territory.
Disgrace, though a bit harsh, more closely defines him than “adequate”. To the Leafs credit, they have really circled the wagons in his games to give him a good stats line. I can’t remember any really good saves he’s made but I do remember the easy shots that have gone through him. Maybe not a disgrace, but he’s not as good as his stats show in a small sample size.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Right now we should all assume Hutchinson gets the net.

I have come to learn these days that Jack Campbell won't play unless Keefe officially announces it.

Please no! Hutch has been fine but Campbell has been better and if he can't start two games in a row, that would be a very bad sign.

Hutch has been good so far this year, exactly what you want from your 3rd (4th coming into the year) stringer.

Anyone suggesting otherwise has little to no hockey knowledge.

Agree completely. Some of the stuff posted about Hutch here last season was embarrassing.

I am so pumped for this game tonight. I want a win, I want Campbell to have another good game and I want a freaking PP goal. Is that really asking for too much?

GLG!!

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hutch has been good so far this year, exactly what you want from your 3rd (4th coming into the year) stringer.

he's been pretty decent in every season outside of 2019/20 with the Leafs and a bad 4 game stint with Florida. He's not an amazing goalie, but people acting like he's the worst goalie to ever step foot in the NHL and is an automatic loss are completely overreacting

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

He’s an excellent third, borderline bad second. That said he’s done all we can ask this year, despite having little confidence in him as any type of solution, you can’t fault his contribution. I think we have a good defence around him as well, which helps mitigate his horrible rebound control, his biggest deficiency that I’ve seen.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Please no! Hutch has been fine but Campbell has been better and if he can't start two games in a row, that would be a very bad sign.

Agree completely. Some of the stuff posted about Hutch here last season was embarrassing.

I am so pumped for this game tonight. I want a win, I want Campbell to have another good game and I want a freaking PP goal. Is that really asking for too much?

GLG!!
Way too much to ask for Gary. I’m calling it now, hutch starts and we don’t even get a chance to have a powerplay

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I think Keefe is making a mistake not getting Lilly and eventually Sandin into the lineup. Unrealistic to expect no D gets hurt in the playoffs. Get them some experience now before they get thrown into a high pressure situation. Also gives you a sense of where they are at.

Reactions: Lauro and Gallagbi

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Exactly box to the outside and clog the down low passing lanes , exactly what we are seeing from opponents .
They are pressuring our points hard. They are opening up a lot of ice at the top of the circles in and its some good ice our shooters might want to start slipping in to for some one timers. Wingers definitely have to come out further and front pressure the net after the shot. They need to take that ice thats left open by the point pressure. They haven’t been trying it yet anyways

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think Keefe is making a mistake not getting Lilly and eventually Sandin into the lineup. Unrealistic to expect no D gets hurt in the playoffs. Get them some experience now before they get thrown into a high pressure situation. Also gives you a sense of where they are at.
I'm hoping we start seeing some additional rotations after this series (especially if we win tonight).

Would be nice to see guys like Sandin, Lilj, Anderson and Robertson start seeing some action while testing of bottom line/pair, even give some time to guys nursing injuries.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Way too much to ask for Gary. I’m calling it now, hutch starts and we don’t even get a chance to have a powerplay

Not sure if you're just having fun with me or if this is a serious prediction. Hmm, maybe it's both. ;)

I'm hoping we start seeing some additional rotations after this series (especially if we win tonight).

Would be nice to see guys like Sandin, Lilj, Anderson and Robertson start seeing some action while testing of bottom line/pair, even give some time to guys nursing injuries.

:thumbu::thumbu:

I'd give this post many likes if I could.

Reactions: Leaftors

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Has Sandin been cleared to practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad