GDT: The Legendary Maple Leafs versus Jets again friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This here gon be a fun one again :clap: We truly dominated them again last nizight. Our number one goalie Campbell might get his record 8-0-0 wich is historical. That dude right thurr got some game like spike lee do.
Y'all remember Potvin and them Belfour curtis Joseph gezames no? Like Jack reminds me of them fools. He a character while at it. Belfour was a goofy F. I love it hard.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hopefully Campbell plays again and lay another smackdown on the Jets. 5 on 5 they really aren't even close. Game went pretty much how I predicted, dominate the puck and O-zone, crash the net and score. Jets top 6 is good and effective against most teams, but 5 on 5 just the skaters, they're pretty out matched against us. Play hard again, control the puck and keep crashing the net.

Limit turnovers, that's what's been burning us vs Winnipeg all year, they capitalize off our mistakes. They rely heavily on the rush (odd-man rush) for their chances, not a whole lot of sustained pressure.

Reactions: Primary Assist

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner, Matthews, JT, Nylander, Reilly, all season and play them 1:30. Run your horses, don’t tinker with it regardless of short term going cold. We’ve been messing around all season, just load up and go.

That group of players play too much on the perimeter. Other than Matty, nobody has an elite shot. Willie on the left boards is not a threat as he hesitates too much, almost afraid to shoot as Marner is. JT can snipe but I'd rather have somebody in front of the net shitdisturbing the goalie and JT on PP2. Rielly and Marner's muffin shots from a distance have virtually zero chance on an unscreened goalie.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That group of players play too much on the perimeter. Other than Matty, nobody has an elite shot. Willie on the left boards is not a threat as he hesitates too much, almost afraid to shoot as Marner is. JT can snipe but I'd rather have somebody in front of the net shitdisturbing the goalie and JT on PP2. Rielly and Marner's muffin shots from a distance have virtually zero chance on an unscreened goalie.
Willie in front of the net seemed to work last year and JT down low is quite effective. I don’t think it’s personnel, it’s execution.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
people use the term "must win" very loosely

We don't have a must win the rest of the season, getting to the playoffs healthy with some solid stability in net is the main priority now.

I used a similar term the other day and heard a similar response and fair enough. I see your side.

I think a bunch of people are looking at it like let's keep winning and take the division. I get staying healthy but Leafs winning a division they're in is your main goal from the start of the regular season. It always should be... and the cup.

It gives you your best shot in the playoffs. I look at it like that when people say it.

I think I said the game is huge to win... at least the 2 against Winnipeg... which I think would seem be a given considering the standings.

I don't know... I just look at champion teams like Tampa and when they lose players they keep chugging along. Next man up. I think you have to think like that to win it all. Zero excuses.

Of course you want everyone healthy but that's never a guarantee. Only takes one weird fall, or shitty slapshot... so why not play your guys out everytime.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Don't forget that we had a ton of injuries when we went through our bad stretch. And we still shoulda/coulda won a bunch of those games. Well we're healthy again and winning. There's no reason why we shouldn't keep it going.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think he was supposed to shoot more but he kept playing bumper. Got one 1-timer off though.

I don't care who it is but I really hope they start trying to one time it more. They just can't seem to generate a one time threat and it's so important to establish at least the threat of it.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
The way the top line of Matthews Marner and Hyman dominate, why not just keep the lines as is and put the top 2 out there? Even the second line with Gally has been very solid possession wise, they both should dominate 5 on 4.

Unit 1
Matts Marner Hyman
Brodie Reilly

Unit 2
Tavares Nylander Gally
Muzzin Spezza

Spezza the only tweak, he is very good at possession as well.

Also keeps the lines right when the penalty ends.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
The power play doesn't seem to have a plan other than play keep away. Yes they can pass it around the perimeter and dipsy doodle very nicely. As can every other team. But then what? Someone takes a bad shot and then we turn over the puck. The most cringe worthy is when Reilly dipsy doodles the puck, waits until the net presence is 100% clogged up, and takes a weak wrister from the blue line into someone's knees which results in a turnover. Every. Single. Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad