GDT: The Legendary Maple Leafs versus Jets again friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The power play doesn't seem to have a plan other than play keep away. Yes they can pass it around the perimeter and dipsy doodle very nicely. As can every other team. But then what? Someone takes a bad shot and then we turn over the puck. The most cringe worthy is when Reilly dipsy doodles the puck, waits until the net presence is 100% clogged up, and takes a weak wrister from the blue line into someone's knees which results in a turnover. Every. Single. Time.

Agreed, they need to move that puck around to open up some seams and shooting lanes.

Reactions: Optomist

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
They leave us wanting more, but I'm happy with the results of late, let's keep it rolling.

This Jets team won't be an easy one, especially after the loss. They will have their push and some PPs, just got to weather that and Leafs talent will breakthrough. Leafs are up 3-2 in wins.

To no ones surprise a big x-factor will be special teams.

Last game even though PP was shit, they also scored a short-handed goal which provided some nice insurance and the boys played confident for the most part in 3rd.

Even though the PP isn't going, I like the way they think and play at 5v5 and other situations. Once they get the monkey off, they'll loosen up, as many have said. No need to overthink.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Personally I would do:

Unit 1:
Brodie
Marner - JT - Matthews - Nylander

Unit 2: (not be used unless the others are dead)
Muzzin
Spezza - Hyman - Galchenyuk - Simmonds

Rielly can use the PP time to rest up rather than making stupid decisions with the puck.

Regardless of the PP though, if they can play tight defence like they did on Wednesday, they will have put themselves in a great position to win.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Personally I would do:

Unit 1:
Brodie

Muzzin

Rielly can use the PP time to rest up rather than making stupid decisions with the puck.

Regardless of the PP though, if they can play tight defence like they did on Wednesday, they will have put themselves in a great position to win.

Should just go with 5 forwards on pp1

Willy styles - JT - Simmer
Mitchy - Papi

Gally - spezz - hyman
Muzzin - thornton

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
If you want to split the units I say split up Matthews and Marner on the PP. Force them to run it through someone else other than Marner for a couple of games. Put Spezza in his spot he can find guys and can shoot. Then try Marner and JT on unit 2/1a.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

Don't like splitting the units. Not sure why Gally was taken off the PP.
Like Muzzin on the 2nd PP

WHO READS HF BOARDS BTW???????? I made this happen sire. I made this first unit change happen. Keefe took it from ME. Period. :clap: I love it too mayne. I also made the first pre game thread. We have two now sire. But yeah, I coached it. I knew thornton was gone. I also knew it in another thread concerning our pp units. But yeah, we cool. We coo. I love it, we gon rule the hockey world with tavares on the dirty first.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Personally I would do:

Unit 1:
Brodie

Muzzin

Load Brodie up, he has a cannon.

Reactions: wingman75

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Joe Thornton, that useless shit is on the PP over Galchenyuk.

That's f***ing laughable. Malhotra needs to be fired ASAP.

Galchenyuk was the best player on the 2nd power play unit last night.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
WHO READS HF BOARDS BTW???????? I made this happen sire. I made this first unit change happen. Keefe took it from ME. Period. :clap: I love it too mayne. I also made the first pre game thread. We have two now sire. But yeah, I coached it. I knew thornton was gone. I also knew it in another thread concerning our pp units. But yeah, we cool. We coo. I love it, we gon rule the hockey world with tavares on the dirty first.

Should we hold on to our butts now???? :)

Reactions: Coachcorner

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
my power play theory?
we can score at will, so now we are just playing keep away when we get chances.
currently lulling the refs into believing we are toothless.
THEN, the playoffs hit, and we get power plays and score at a 40% clip again, when it really counts.
GO LEAFS GO!!!
8 pm start, damn will be a struggle staying awake to the end of the game.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So this is the powerplay thread is it..... get off it. Anyone that doesn’t see whats wrong with it deserves to waste time debating it. Shouldn’t we be talking about the standings.

Far more interesting that after most of the teams that played many less games than us have used them up. They also haven’t pulled away on us.

The condensed schedule and the fact they played so well as a defensive team is the best thing i have seen with the team in 10 years. A win tonight and are nipping right at the tails of the best teams in the league for first overall.

There is a reason this team can go through all this adversity the last month and still hang with the best for 1st overall. Team defense 5v5.

As long as they continue focus on structured play and not forcing the play and remaining focused on overall play, the powerplay will fix itself with confidence building again.

There is no doubt in my mind we have made it through a bit of a patch of adversity in March. It was stinkin ugly too but it’s over and they maintained pace with the league.

This is a really really good team

Reactions: Subway Schenn
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I love the media narratives that get created in headlines after every single game due to only playing in this same division.

The Leafs win tonight : "Solid effort gets the Maple Leafs a cushion on top of North Division".

The Jets win tonight : "Has Winnipeg announced themselves as the best team in the North Division?"

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Let's hope TJ Brodie starts passing Gally the puck while they are on the PP together. He looked him off several times the last game. I wonder if Brodie is friends with the player who Gally might be taking on that PP2 unit.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He sure is. Always has been. He’s had a couple good games this year he’s but he’s a terrible goalie.
His stats say differently. Hasn’t given up more than 3 and had one disaster and got pulled. Giving good numbers for our #4 at the start. Better numbers than Dell is putting up anyways so he would have taken the 3 slot.
Earning his job. Looks good

Reactions: cannucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad