The legacy of Henrik Lundqvist

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
With Henrik entering the twilight of his career and the Rangers window closed for the forseeable future it appears the chance to win a Cup in New York has perished :cry: . And given his contract situation and family situation I think he might retire a Ranger.

I was wondering how he and his career be viewed by more neutral fans (Devil and Islander fans stay away). Is he a loser who couldn't get it done? I think he's been pretty damn good in the playoffs over the span of his career. I made a poll on the Polls boards asking if he was a Hall of Famer and the poll was closed for lopsided in favor of 'Yes, He gets in' despite having only 1 Vezina, no cups and a .500 playoff record.

He never really had superstar rosters in New York. Don't get me wrong some of those Ranger teams were pretty good but the top end, elite talent wasn't really there. He never really had a reliable first line center that could carry the scoring load or great defenses either.

Did Henrik not get NY over the hump? Did NY not surround Henrik with enough talent or good enough teams to get the cup back to NYR? What do you think?

Also, was he the best goalie of this/his generation?

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I think he’s the best post-lockout goalie. He should get in the hall. However, I don’t think there will be any additions to his trophy case going forward, he’s been average for a few years now.

2015 team could have won, but I think it was the only legit shot NYR have had during Hank’s tenure. Management made some awful decisions that offseason that killed any chance of another SCF.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It'll be too bad if he doesn't win a cup, but I don't think that'll affect his legacy much. He's been the most consistently good goalie for a while now, with a Vezina and SCF appearance. Definitely HOF-worthy.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Elite goaltender with mediocre teammates. Rangers have never had a #1C or #1D (McD was borderline a few seasons ago) Henrik's entire career, but had some solid wingers come through. I hated him at the beginning of his career, but I've always respected his compete level.

He definitely deserves a HOF nod, and he probably should've won another Vezina over the course of his career. There were certainly a couple of seasons I thought he was worthy of a Hart nomination too.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He is the best goalie of his generation, no doubt.

I think if Zuccarello didn't get injured by McDonagh against the Penguins in 2015, they could have beaten the Hawks to win the Cup.
But they didn't even make the finals.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Probably the same as Luongo, will make the Hall of Fame and be recognized as one of the best goalie of his era.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
922 postseason save %, 5 top 3 Vezina finishes, 10 top 6 finishes. Saying he won 1 Vezina and is 500 in the postseason is cherry picking the most mediocre arguments.

Reactions: Irishguy42

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Crazy how he never won the Vezina, but yeah he gets in.

Actually played a very interesting style too, didn't close his glove on glove saves, played extremely deep and abused the f*** outta NHL pad rules had something like 34+4.

Henrik_L.png

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Crazy how he never won the Vezina, but yeah he gets in.

Actually played a very interesting style too, didn't close his glove on glove saves, played extremely deep and abused the **** outta NHL pad rules had something like 34+4.

Henrik_L.png

He did win the Vezina. He also posted his best seasons after the pad sizes were reduced.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think that there is much of a gap between Lundqvist and Luongo. Very similar careers. No cups as of yet but good international accomplishments.

Lundqvist has the Vezina but Luongo's longevity has been amazing.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I don't take IP seriously anymore after some of his recent postings and threads
Lundqvist is suppose to be generational and has no cups and no Carey price peak like seasons. Crosby has also scored more on him than any goalie in the NHL. But go on and live in your little bubble where Lundqvist is the best of the generation and where any post that says otherwise isn't serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad