The Leafs next captain

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
+1 for this.

Can't really see how anyone would nominate Kadri.

Sure he has been playing well, and he well may get better. But he currently still comes across as somewhat self-centred and a tad full of himself. That kind of mentality would be greatly exaggerated during a major slump or some kind of controversy. I currently don't see him as the type to be a leader.

Lupul has the bearing and the brains to string together a few intelligent sentences (something the moron Phaneuf is sorely lacking). Granted, Kadri seems reasonably bright compared to Phaneuf, but then again, so does a fire hydrant.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
tumblr_mfx1z5uYbM1qdvsvxo1_500.jpg

^ This guy!!!! :)

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Dion doesn't have the respect of his peers around the league (based on the polls we see periodically). Likewise, I'd bet that he doesn't have a ton of respect in the room. It's embarrassing that he's the captain. Give the C to Lupul in the offseason when it won't be such a big deal, regardless of whether Dion is back or not. A's for Kadri, Mac and Phaneuf.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
This is towards all you idiots saying Kadri, Biggs, or Rielly.

None of the three have leadership qualities. It's not about who's doing good. Heck, there's a reason Morgan Rielly wasn't captain for the Moose Jaw Warriors. None of these 3 are leaders.

The only ones close to being a leader and deserving the captain title is Lupul.

I'd say Liles as well, but he's been slipping this season and he's not really that good to be a captain.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board. Kadri was a captain in London, and Biggs was a captain of the US u-18 squad.

Fearless Leaf*

Lupul easily. Signed to next 5 years, vocal, great communication and humor along with his skills. I think he would make a great leader on this young team because he can provide solid leadership skills and is absolutely capable of leading by example.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Lupul - solid candidate but really prefer him with the A
Kadri - would have to have a huge season next year to be considered

and that's really all I can think of how sad? Sign Perry.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I'd strip dion immidatley and give it a guy who plays with passion and who plays with meaning... Mr Lupul.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I'd strip dion immidatley and give it a guy who plays with passion and who plays with meaning... Mr Lupul.

Lupul as Captain rather than Phaneuf would be an upgrade. But any change could not be done elegantly now and would be an unneeded distraction. Perhaps an adjustment in the off-season might work.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
I feel like Dion's best games with the leafs were when he wasnt wearing the "C".
Now he feels like he needs to carry the team and do "extra" in games when really its just hurting the team :shakehead

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Lupul AINEC. I usually stay away from saying who the "good captains" and "bad captains" are since we are not in the locker room and have no idea how things go. But the way Lupul has mentored Kadri, the way he came back and played so inspired after his injury, the way he was pumping up the crowd from the bench, the way he was encouraging fans to be louder in the post-game... I just love it all. The guy has personality, heart, leadership, intelligence, and has overcome adversity again and again.

I'm so glad we signed him long-term. He is a championship caliber player, and a future captain.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lupul easily. Signed to next 5 years, vocal, great communication and humor along with his skills. I think he would make a great leader on this young team because he can provide solid leadership skills and is absolutely capable of leading by example.

Lupul would definitely be an image upgrade. Phaneuf comes across as a bit of a fool personality wise, and isn't the most alert guy on the ice to begin with. Even if the captain is purely symbolic, he sets a sad tone for the Leafs.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Lupul AINEC. I usually stay away from saying who the "good captains" and "bad captains" are since we are not in the locker room and have no idea how things go. But the way Lupul has mentored Kadri, the way he came back and played so inspired after his injury, the way he was pumping up the crowd from the bench, the way he was encouraging fans to be louder in the post-game... I just love it all. The guy has personality, heart, leadership, intelligence, and has overcome adversity again and again.

I'm so glad we signed him long-term. He is a championship caliber player, and a future captain.

THIS! COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
What qualities does Phaneuf have over Lupul? He's a minus machine. Doesn't play with any heart or guts. I bet he's not taken very seriously.

LeafsGuru93

me & Dave Ellett
Oct 7, 2006
TORONTO
I personally like JVR... I mean no offence to Phaneuf, but the C, (if he was named captain) won't be just given to JVR like it was Phaneuf.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
What qualities does Phaneuf have over Lupul? He's a minus machine. Doesn't play with any heart or guts. I bet he's not taken very seriously.
He's the top shut down defender on the team. His ability to increase goal opportunities from the back end is second to none.

I understand that he is no Stevens. Who the hell is? Nor is he an elite quarterback. Never mind that his ability to QB is compromised due to his partner. He, however, is a keeper. You sign him, because if he leaves, we're going to regret it.

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
If Dion ever leaves...

Lupul - C
McClement - A
Kadri - A

Assuming Mac is also traded / leaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4