The Leafs next captain

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Dion Phaneuf's deal is up at the end of next year. I hope and to an extent expect he will be resigned but in the event the Leafs and Dion part ways, is there a player in our system you see as having the potential to wear the C? I like Morgan Rielly, but does he have the make up of a captain? How about Tyler Biggs? He is reminicent of Dustin Brown, a stanley cup winning captain. What about current players like Kadri, JVR, and Lupul? Clearly some of these guys are quite young, but down the road do we have some potential leaders ready to take on the C in our hockey crazy market. Just want to get some thoughts!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If for some reason Dion isnt re-signed, it goes to Lupul.

He already wears an A, and hes very active around the city. Hes also very personable with the media.

leafspring*

Kadri,Lupul,and its not even close after that.It would be a large learning curve for Naz,but he is a gamer!

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
i think Phanuf should keek it until when if he is gone

when Phanuf is gone, hopefully we will have a clear next captain

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I don't see Phaneuf going anywhere anytime soon but if he did, Lupul is likely next in line. McClement, though not an overwhelming scorer strikes me as also being leadership material.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Probably Lupul, but I'd hope they wait for a year or two, and maybe give to Rielly if he works out well.

Mar 26, 2010
Lets hope Phaneuf is gone! The guy is a bad captain and he sucks. WAY overpaid. He should not be making anything over 3M.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Kadri maybe in the future. Guy is confident, he battles, he's skilled, and loved by his teammates,

Maybe Biggs or Rielly in the future tho

GenericFan2*

If Dion leaves, there should be no C and three A's. I don't see a captain on this team other than Phaneuf; Lupul comes close, but id rather the Leafs not settle.

As for potential, Naz could sport it one day. Has the heart and passion, not to mention the high level skill - but that's in many years.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I've never been a fan of naming defencemen captains. Particularly the ones that aren't that good defensively, like Phaneuf. Prone to too many mistakes and anger from fans as a result.

It has to be Lupul IMO. Unless we add another star forward in the future.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Lupul is the logical choice. But I wouldn't count Kadri out if all goes well.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
Remember when we were having this conversation about Alex Steen? And then later, Luke Schenn?

Ahhh, those were the days.
:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad