Speculation: The Leafs new Strength and Conditioning Coach?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Was Belza one of the people let go?
Yes, per McKenzie

"And it was most certainly the case today - on Sunday, Bloody Sunday in Leafland - when Shanahan effected an organization-wide purge, starting with Nonis, interim head coach Peter Horachek, the entire coaching staff ,as well as the strength and conditioning coach, video coordinator and a phalanx of pro and amateur scouts."

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Yes, per McKenzie

"And it was most certainly the case today - on Sunday, Bloody Sunday in Leafland - when Shanahan effected an organization-wide purge, starting with Nonis, interim head coach Peter Horachek, the entire coaching staff ,as well as the strength and conditioning coach, video coordinator and a phalanx of pro and amateur scouts."
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. Anyone know of a full list of the firings, I've looked around but haven't found anything.

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Bodybuilders knew about the stuff Gary Roberts preaches well before Gary Roberts.

My older brother was a professional bodybuilder. Competed professionally. The stuff he and other body builders were doing over 20 years ago, diet wise, is what Roberts is teaching.

All these new fads and stuff was just discovered by the so called "gurus".

Raw foodist are the ones who popularized green drinks and juicing, living on Kale etc.

What I'm getting at is, you could find guys as knowledgeable or way more knowledgeable than Roberts easily. He isn't some originator that is the only one who can help.

Although simply being Gary Roberts demands respect.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I know this is going to sound really weird but here it goes....

Strength and conditioning coaches who's names neither of us know. Crazy and not fun, but they exist. And there is a myriad of them, I assure you.
Actually Gary Roberts invented strength and conditioning

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bodybuilders knew about the stuff Gary Roberts preaches well before Gary Roberts.

My older brother was a professional bodybuilder. Competed professionally. The stuff he and other body builders were doing over 20 years ago, diet wise, is what Roberts is teaching.

Raw foodist are the ones who popularized green drinks and juicing, living on Kale etc.

What I'm getting at is, you could find guys as knowledgeable or way more knowledgeable than Roberts easily. He isn't some originator that is the only one who can help.

Woah you mean guys were eating meat and veggies and doing squats and deadlifts before? Good thing we got your brother with his inside intel. I always assumed Roberts invented weight lifting and eating good.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Can I just know what the obsession with Gary Roberts stems from? Is it because of the "too much man" picture

He is most known for putting Stamkos on the map. Not that Stamkos wouldn't have gotten to where he is anyways.

Whats the deal with Belza, why doesn't anyone like him? Kessel eating cookies? That might be a personnel problem, not Belza per se.

YorkshireRose

Apr 9, 2014
Halifax, England

For a start im pretty sure Gary Roberts works for Pittsburgh now, he was on leafslunch a few weeks back talking about his new role with them and the new training centre they have built. so we've already missed the boat on him.

And this comment is a great example of the ignorance that makes Gary Roberts training style so effective.

You cant just apply a blanket training plan and diet to all sports. Diet is only a small part of it, did your brother workout with an unevenly weighted bar to improve core stability during shooting? no, because this would have been pretty useless for a bodybuilder. The obsession with Roberts is because he uses methods that are completely specific to hockey, instead of just applying bodybuilding principles.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
He is most known for putting Stamkos on the map. Not that Stamkos wouldn't have gotten to where he is anyways.

Whats the deal with Belza, why doesn't anyone like him? Kessel eating cookies? That might be a personnel problem, not Belza per se.

For years our guys looked gassed by midway through the third. Even the so called gym rats. It has been a problem for a while.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Jesus this **** isn't rocket science. Just have the players do squats, power cleans, single-leg lifts and a bunch of plyometrics combined with flexibility work and they'll be fine.

And for God's sake keep them off that steady-state cardio

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
actually there is a huge difference between trainers. if you want a better trainer than roberts imo, you go with a poliquin trainer. roberts had level one training. i know many trainers and the poliquin are among the best of the canadian imo.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
For years our guys looked gassed by midway through the third. Even the so called gym rats. It has been a problem for a while.

Not to mention all the Leafs seem to get punked by guys 20 lbs lighter. I guess it's true about how it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog, as least as far as the Leafs are concerned.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I'd be just as fine to bring back Matt Nichol, though I doubt he'd come back to the Leafs now that Biosteel has become a sensation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
What this team needs is a taste of "Boot Camp", learning to take orders and a physical fitness program, then an on ice Guru like Roberts to refine the program for Hockey.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I am pretty sure there was a rumor we hired him back around the time we hired Dubas.

Actually after typing that and looking at his twitter he has sinced removed the Soo off his twitter description and changed it to just "Toronto Maple Leafs - Play evals". So looks like he is going to be only Maple Leaf property now. I think before it said something about being apart of the Soo and the Leafs.

One of Wes Clark's clients is Dylan Strome.

EDIT: Here is the old thread from the beginning of the year. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1748947.

I am 99% sure Wes Clark has been hired by the Leafs.

The changes made to his twitter profile were all made in the last 24hrs too.

Last edited:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I am pretty sure there was a rumor we hired him back around the time we hired Dubas.

Actually after typing that and looking at his twitter he has sinced removed the Soo off his twitter description and changed it to just "Toronto Maple Leafs - Play evals". So looks like he is going to be only Maple Leaf property now. I think before it said something about being apart of the Soo and the Leafs.

One of Wes Clark's clients is Dylan Strome.

EDIT: Here is the old thread from the beginning of the year. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1748947.

I am 99% sure Wes Clark has been hired by the Leafs.

The changes made to his twitter profile were all made in the last 24hrs too.

The Leafs hired him a while ago but only has a consultant. He has his own practice and clients with his father. I don't know if he's the full-time guy now.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

Body building is not the same thing as strength and fitness training for hockey.

You are kidding yourself if you think this is true.

Many body builders would have terrible bodies for playing hockey, baseball or NFL lineman maybe - hockey not so much.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Body building is not the same thing as strength and fitness training for hockey.

You are kidding yourself if you think this is true.

Many body builders would have terrible bodies for playing hockey, baseball or NFL lineman maybe - hockey not so much.

Professional lifting has many different categories too though, just like weight classes in UFC.

Also the dieting is very similar too, just the gains the athletes are looking for are different.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Not to mention all the Leafs seem to get punked by guys 20 lbs lighter. I guess it's true about how it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog, as least as far as the Leafs are concerned.

So true.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Jesus this **** isn't rocket science. Just have the players do squats, power cleans, single-leg lifts and a bunch of plyometrics combined with flexibility work and they'll be fine.

And for God's sake keep them off that steady-state cardio
Hire this sports expert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad