Speculation: The Leafs new Strength and Conditioning Coach?

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
pure conjecture on your part

know nothing about the guy, but personal trainers are a dime a dozen and the leafs aren't going to take this job lightly, Roberts or bust. He commands respect and dedication, that is what we need.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
pure conjecture on your part

know nothing about the guy, but personal trainers are a dime a dozen and the leafs aren't going to take this job lightly, Roberts or bust. He commands respect and dedication, that is what we need.

How are you going to say, in the same run on sentence, that personal trainers are a dime a dozen, yet it's Roberts or bust?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I thought it would be Wes Clark when I saw the spot open up. He wasn't hired out of the Soo by accident. This conversation also makes me think about Darryl Belfry who was hired mid-season from St. Catharines where he ran summertime individual skills clinics to improve specific aspects of NHL'ers games. He worked extensively with Kane and Tavares on agility and puck skills believe it or not. Wondering if he will be promoted into a player development portfolio of some sort.

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I really hope that they put an emphasis on diet and exercise.

The players should all have healthy meals cooked for them. I get the impression that a lot of players eat out at restaurants all the time (or get takeout/delivery). They really need to be on special athlete diets and they also shouldn't have to waste their time cooking.

I don't know much about this stuff, but they all need to be taking supplements, protein powders, etc. A while ago I started drinking green smoothies using my blender and they really give you a lot of energy and make you much healthier.

We should also be looking at those smelling salt things they use. Does that really help? Are there better alternatives?

In the pre-game stuff, I see players drinking cans of pop and stuff like that. Maybe Gatorade and some of that stuff is good... but I get the impression that each player basically does his own thing when it comes to overall diet.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
From everything I have heard if I am TOR I just approach Gary Roberts with a cheque and say "how much". He has currently set something up down in Pittsburgh for their college teams (With helps from Pens organization.) But still lives and works in TOR so might as well get him on the TOR payroll to help both the Marlies and Leafs.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

The players should all have healthy meals cooked for them. I get the impression that a lot of players eat out at restaurants all the time (or get takeout/delivery). They really need to be on special athlete diets and they also shouldn't have to waste their time cooking.

I don't know much about this stuff, but they all need to be taking supplements, protein powders, etc. A while ago I started drinking green smoothies using my blender and they really give you a lot of energy and make you much healthier.

We should also be looking at those smelling salt things they use. Does that really help? Are there better alternatives?

In the pre-game stuff, I see players drinking cans of pop and stuff like that. Maybe Gatorade and some of that stuff is good... but I get the impression that each player basically does his own thing when it comes to overall diet.

This hurts my brain.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
for the millionth time.

Gary Roberts does not want to be tied down with one organization. He likes what he is doing right now, and he can pick and choose who he can train (basically people who will do what he says, and he can boot them out if they don't want to comply), and do other projects (ie: the one he's doing in Pittsburgh).

there are other people out there who can do what Gary Roberts can do - with out it being Gary Roberts. Oi.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
for the millionth time.

Gary Roberts does not want to be tied down with one organization. He likes what he is doing right now, and he can pick and choose who he can train (basically people who will do what he says, and he can boot them out if they don't want to comply), and do other projects (ie: the one he's doing in Pittsburgh).

there are other people out there who can do what Gary Roberts can do - with out it being Gary Roberts. Oi.

More importantly; there are other people who are out there that can do a far superior job than Roberts with the added benefit of not being Gary Roberts.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga

Yup. Jake and Morgan love their Chipotle ;)

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Can I just know what the obsession with Gary Roberts stems from? Is it because of the "too much man" picture

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Can I just know what the obsession with Gary Roberts stems from? Is it because of the "too much man" picture
He's a known fitness expert and a lot of NHLers (and now minor leaguers) work with him.

His reputation is greater than any benefit he could bring. That's more of a comment on his "legend" than his abilities though.

He's in a great spot where he can pick and choose which devoted NHLers he wants to work with. Training a team is a different animal.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
for the millionth time.

This.

He makes way more money doing what he does, with way more autonomy, with way less stress. Being a S&C coach at the pro level can be frustrating as hell because players have their own guys just like Roberts, and like to do their own thing. Roberts has direct authority to decide who he wants to train, where they live with him and he can direct everything from their supplementation, dieting and training. You can't really do that to the same degree as a S&C coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad