Confirmed with Link: The Leafs have hired Jacques Lemaire as Special Assignment Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We don't have a single bonafide top line player, no #1D, and questionable goaltending. What bubble is this team on?

The only thing different on the team from this year so far is Kessel/Franson is gone.

We were in a playoff spot until Horacek turned the team into scorched earth. Babcock could make them a bubble team. Kessel was on the ice for as many goals for as against.

*fixed NYI.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
people keep saying "we were in a playoff spot" as if we were the division leaders and then it all went to heck. the playoff spot that Horachek "cost" us was a one game loss. we lost the first game, Boston won, and poof.

and why were we in that position? Because Carlyle did his thing. one hot streak, .500 hockey, then a massive losing streak.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
people keep saying "we were in a playoff spot" as if we were the division leaders and then it all went to heck. the playoff spot that Horachek "cost" us was a one game loss. we lost the first game, Boston won, and poof.

and why were we in that position? Because Carlyle did his thing. one hot streak, .500 hockey, then a massive losing streak.

Babcock brings a better system than Carlyle and Horacek put together. I don't know if we make the playoffs, but I cant see this team as a bottom 5 team with Mike as coach. I think we finish 10-12th in the EAST and that makes us a bubble team.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I don't get it either , the team went into the dumpster and they fired RC to try to spark them . Unfortunately he asked PK/team to play a little D and they packed it in . It's like people have forgotten this team has cliff dived the last 3 full seasons .

I don't understand why people are trying to dump this on Horachek , the system he wanted to play was pretty standard and it's not like he was using the players any differently .

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Actually, when Carlyle was fired, we were only in a playoff spot due to having played one more game. If the team's rankings were done by points percentage, the Leafs would already have been out.

That said, Babcock is much better than Carlyle or Horachek.

And besides Kessel being gone, I'd much rather have Matthias, Spaling, Parenteau, Arcobello and Beck than Santorelli, Booth, Clarkson, Smith and Kontiola. Is the difference between them Kessel? No, but it's something.

I strongly suspect both our goaltenders will be better this year than last, which was a historically bad season for both of them.

And despite losing Franson, our defence will be better too. We've picked up Marincin and Hunwick, who have great analytics, and Gardiner and Rielly made big strides under Horachek.

Plus there's the possibility of calling up Nylander, Marner or Brown, who would make us a better team.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Babcock brings a better system than Carlyle and Horacek put together. I don't know if we make the playoffs, but I cant see this team as a bottom 5 team with Mike as coach. I think we finish 10-12th in the EAST and that makes us a bubble team.

I could see us anywhere from bottom 3 to 10-12 if we kept the roster together for the entire season . However i believe they'll move as many players for picks as they can and won't be just waiting until the t/d .

If any team out there runs into injury problems or has a hole they want to fix at any time in the season i believe we'll be more than happy to make a deal regardless of whether it hurts our team and that's why i don't see us being any better than maybe bottom 7 at best .

This to me is the year they do whatever they can to add picks/prospects because i believe they want to start building sooner rather than later and have at least a decent up and coming team by our anniversary .

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't get it either , the team went into the dumpster and they fired RC to try to spark them . Unfortunately he asked PK/team to play a little D and they packed it in . It's like people have forgotten this team has cliff dived the last 3 full seasons .

I don't understand why people are trying to dump this on Horachek , the system he wanted to play was pretty standard and it's not like he was using the players any differently .

exactly.
like. if y'all want to argue that Horachek wasn't a good coach - that's fair.
if y'all are saying that Horachek cost us a playoff spot - no. these players did. they did it this year, last year, the year before that, and the year before that.

if people want to think Babcock can make this team better next year... sure. but it's like people aren't thinking there's going to be an adjustment period, or they're going to struggle to learn the new systems, or that management isn't going to trade off some pieces if they are performing well.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm not saying it's what I believe, but there's also the possibility that Randy Carlyle was a terrible coach and caused the team to underperform, but that Horachek was even worse. In that case, if we had even league average coaching, we could have been in a playoff spot at the point in the season where Carlyle was fired.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

There was that stint where the team actually became a much better team in terms of shots allowed a game, top 10 in the league after 15ish of the games Horachek took over.

They definitely played terrible the rest of the way though, but I don't think the trades and injuries helped either.

Funny thing is, the same franchise best goaltending that kept Carlyle's job for the last two years completely disappeared when Horachek stepped in :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I still think this team will surprise people next year, although I'd still love one more top 10 pick.

If the team is a strong possession team and gets great goaltending, they'll be competitive. Not contenders, but as much as people don't want to admit, there are a lot of x-factors on this team.

I mean, this Leafs team was able to be a good possession team(8th best in the league) and look at the names on the damn roster lol...

favlfb.png

Too bad it was countered by this...

296175s.png

I'm not sold on the Leafs being a bottom 5 team next year until I see the standings at the end of the year, there is just too many factors to play out in a course of a season.

I.E
Rielly's next step, how big, how small?
Bernier bounce back or fall flat?
JVR becoming what he could be, or same ol same ol?
Gardiner finally taking that next step, or a step back?
Kadri taking it up a level or 'meh'?
Babcock playing 4 line hockey with a possession system?

I will always say, a team that tries hard and plays smart with elite goaltending will always be dangerous.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I still think this team will surprise people next year, although I'd still love one more top 10 pick.

If the team is a strong possession team and gets great goaltending, they'll be competitive. Not contenders, but as much as people don't want to admit, there are a lot of x-factors on this team.

I mean, this Leafs team was able to be a good possession team(8th best in the league) and look at the names on the damn roster lol…

So class… what does this tell us about "possession" as the goal? ;)

I honestly wonder sometimes if the Leafs were the Corsi champs but missed the playoffs if there would be a parade anyways.

I will always say, a team that tries hard and plays smart with elite goaltending will always be dangerous.

This I agree with. Sometimes a team gets stronger by subtraction and it gives new opportunities to players. I think back the Leafs of playoff past that went into a series with Alyn McCauley as the #1 C due to injuries. They scrapped and clawed their way to a series win.

Lots of examples. Improved performance isn't out of the question.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So class… what does this tell us about "possession" as the goal? ;)

I honestly wonder sometimes if the Leafs were the Corsi champs but missed the playoffs if there would be a parade anyways.

It doesn't say anything about possession. It says that if you get sub-900 goaltending, you are not going anywhere.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Exactly. It was 1 point.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Just heard about Lemaire. This is huge for player development. Seems like Shanahan was the right hire.

Who's next? Robinson, Gainey, ...
Heh, dude we don't need noobody after Babcock, Lou Lam and Lemaire. These guys are the bad guys. There's no screwing with us again in the future man. Nobody can touch us anymore. We untouchable.

Lemaire is one of the wisest hockey minds there has ever been. And now we have him. Others are so jelious, word on the streets is everybody's talking trash about us now. They wanted our guys. But we have the money so we can do whatever we want in this game. We stole everybody with money. We're rich so we can get everybody!!!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

I'm not sold on the Leafs being a bottom 5 team next year until I see the standings at the end of the year, there is just too many factors to play out in a course of a season.

I.E
Rielly's next step, how big, how small?
Bernier bounce back or fall flat?
JVR becoming what he could be, or same ol same ol?
Gardiner finally taking that next step, or a step back?
Kadri taking it up a level or 'meh'?
Babcock playing 4 line hockey with a possession system?

I agree completely.
Its a mixed bag, right now we don't know what were going to get.
Their talent could hold them back, or Babcock can get some credible work and results out of them...that will be the key.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Just heard about Lemaire. This is huge for player development. Seems like Shanahan was the right hire.

Who's next? Robinson, Gainey, ...

if we could somehow get Robinson that would make my year. he'd be a great defensive assistant coach

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
It doesn't say anything about possession. It says that if you get sub-900 goaltending, you are not going anywhere.

Exactly. If a team has is taking more shots than their opponent, and their goalie is stopping more shots then their opponent, they will win games. SV% has less variability over a season than possession, so strong possession teams win more games.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Riddle me this, can you have fantastic goaltending and sub par possession and still do well ... Say like Montreal?

Seems then that possession matters very little... particularly for teams that don't play for it. Goaltending is the main thing a team should strive to improve. Blocking shots and all that.

Curiously, a defensive minded system that Lemaire and Lou are known for. Go figure.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
-will watch all games and offer opinions, but all coaching decisions to come from Babcock
-watched Leafs a little last year... but reluctant to comment on individual players since he didn't see practices
-will work with Marlies also (expressed enthusiasm at this prospect)
-Does not expect to go on ice, so no direct interaction with players unless specifically asked by Babcock
-expects Lou and Babcock to work well together
-was surprised Lou took leaf job, but after thinking about it, it made sense
-will Lemaire have any interaction with Lou? probably some
-says he's done being behind the bench in any capacity, hates the travelling.
-Loves coaching, problem-solving, working with players, but again emphasised his dislike of travel.
-Thinks that the coaching staff that has been assembled will find a way to make Leafs successful, but patience needed.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
-will watch all games and offer opinions, but all coaching decisions to come from Babcock
-watched Leafs a little last year... but reluctant to comment on individual players since he didn't see practices
-will work with Marlies also
-Does not expect to go on ice, so no direct interaction with players unless specifically asked by Babcock
-expects Lou and Babcock to work well together
-was surprised Lou took leaf job, but after thinking about it, it made sense
-will Lemaire have any interaction with Lou? probably some
-says he's done being behind the bench in any capacity, hates the travelling.
-Loves coaching, problem-solving, working with players, but again emphasised his dislike of travel.
-Thinks that the coaching staff that has been hired will find a way to make Leafs successful, but patience needed.

thanks for that break down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad