Confirmed with Link: The Leafs have hired Jacques Lemaire as Special Assignment Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
There probably isn't a better guy for Babcock to bounce idea's off of. Lemaire is perhaps the most tactically strong coach in the modern era.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
#real

Need to get some players now. Management can't get any better than this.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The Toronto Maple Leafs are becoming a "mom and pop", family and friends organization.

If you have a strong connection with the Devils, Red Wings and/or you play(ed) for the London Knights, you have an automatic entry into this organization.

What's the point of bringing in 2 guys of the age of Lou and Jaques to a team that's not like to be decent for a few years yet?

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
The Toronto Maple Leafs are becoming a "mom and pop", family and friends organization.

If you have a strong connection with the Devils, Red Wings and/or you play(ed) for the London Knights, you have an automatic entry into this organization.

What's the point of bringing in 2 guys of the age of Lou and Jaques to a team that's not like to be decent for a few years yet?

Didn't you hear we're getting Stamkos?

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

lol

They should hire you for some diversity

Look at the credentials of all the people the Leafs have brought in and you are complaining LOL

Unreal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What does Special Assignment Coach mean here, as opposed to Assistant Coach.

I imagine he'll focus on certain aspects, ie. Faceoffs, PK and not be seen behind the bench.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Outstanding move by the team. Likely to help with special teams on the defensive side.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

:cry: Things are going very well with the front office Must complain!!!

This is a great hire! My assumption is with the term "Special Assignment" is he'll likely help out with the coaching staff but not be behind the bench during games? Maybe?

My god this team may not be great but they are going to work their ***** off and be taught a hell of a lot of hockey knowledge.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Quality hockey men, changing the culture. It's never a bad thing to hire good people.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

A good chunk of the reason a guy with experience like Lou was hired was BECAUSE he had connections like this around the league. Without Lou here, Lemaire probably would have been happy to stay with the Devils.

Are you saying we should have hired an experienced GM but then completely ignored the network and influence that he spent 30 years building?

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013

Not sure why there's so many closed minded people around here.

"Babcock has winning in his genes, there's no way he'll allow a rebuild."

"Lamoriello is 72 years old. He won't be around to see us winning."

"Babcock, Lou and Lemaire don't know what losing is. Bye bye rebuild."

"What's the point of bringing in 2 guys of the age of Lou and Jaques to a team that's not like to be decent for a few years yet?"

I've heard it all. Leafs are not trying to be followers, they are trying to innovate and lead the next era of the sport by bringing in a nice blend of experience (what's that, 15 cups between Babcock-Lemaire-Lou?), younger up-and-coming minds (Dubas/Hunter/Pridham), an injection of analytics, etc.

Now people are complaining about why we brought on an 11 time cup winning coach to the club? Were you more satisfied with the previous regime's of JFJ, Burke, Nonis?

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
great moves.. as long as everyone knows their role I suppose.

can't help it but think perhaps we're starting to have too many cooks in the kitchen?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Are there better organizations over the last two decades of hockey that you'd rather hire from than the Red Wings or Devils in the NHL, or the Knights in the CHL? Sure, I get that they're familiar faces to Shanahan, but they're also some of the most respected men to be involved in the game, and in Lemaire's case, one of the most decorated in the sport's history.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Well those teams have won 6 cups in the last couple years. They're hiring the best if the best.

If they were hiring no-name guys without such credentials, you'd have a point.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don't know what to think about this hire yet. Yes he's good...but he is 69 years old...but he has a great hockey mind...I have to see it play out I guess.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Defense wins Championships" and Lemaire knows defense and Lou knows Lemaire, and Leaf Nation wants Championships.

The pieces all seem to fit.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

:facepalm:

Congrats on being that guy.

In order to develop them into a decent team? To teach their front office how to do things? Why is that difficult to understand?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Don't know what to think about this hire yet. Yes he's good...but he is 69 years old...but he has a great hockey mind...I have to see it play out I guess.

I never got back to you in the other thread when you mentioned that there's a difference between an aging coach and an aging GM.

But I don't necessarily see it. An aging GM still needs to have an open mind about the way the game is evolving in order to get their coach the right players to handle the new style of play. What exactly makes it so different?

And I find it interesting that people consider every member of the "Old Boys Club" to be a dinosaur, incapable of adapting to the way things are headed, particularly since the only way you maintain a multiple-decades-long career in this industry is by finding ways to be innovative. Sports are always evolving and changing, it's generational. Lemaire has managed to be successful for 4 decades. How can you not want a mind like that in your organization?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

What the hell does his age have to do with anything?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Asked in the locked thread, aren't they also considering Larry Robinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad