Friedman: The Leafs are very interested in Tyler Motte. Might take a top 40 pick for Canucks to move him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Motte is being overrated a little bit here. He might be worth a high second round or a low first round pick at the best. I don't see multiple assets for Motte. He's a really valuable utility player with high compete and really good play, and if his contract wasn't up I'd want him to stay. But he's not offensively anything more than a bottom six player.
Bingo.

That being said, a good bottom six forward isn't exactly a dime a dozen either, which is where I agree about your price.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The idea that someone would be "very interested" in Tyler Motte seems kind of counter intuitive at first glance. Seems like the kind of player you would simply acquire if motivated enough. The price of a top 40 pick is a little specific. A contender wouldn't be picking 33-40th, unless they had a spare pick from a lottery team, and a 1st seems steep.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
You're using +/- to differentiate the two of them? You do realize that Paul plays higher in the lineup on a much weaker offensive team, right?
So a couple of things

First off, it is funny how you only see +-, when their points are right beside each other. +- alone means nothing, but when you put them together, they start to create a picture...........A 18 point difference in +- is alot, though.

I also find it funny, how you say that he plays on a weaker team (which should allow him to play up higher, if they are that lousy), yet has basically the same amount of points? Very contrary!

My point was, Motte and Paul are similar, and not that Motte is better. Motte is a great skater, which a great motor, but I like Paul too! Out west we get to watch eastern teams at 500 pm, before our Canucks play, so I get to see lots of eastern players. (Much more than you eastern guys get to see our western players) unless you are staying up late to watch the games.

I will say this, value is in the eye of the beholder, as in the Goodrow trade to Tampa. Could it be a 4th? Sure!, Could it be a 2nd? Sure! Last time I checked, these GM's don't check with us first.

If the Canucks continue to win, they won't trade anyone. I would, but JR does not phone me before he makes his decissions.......so who knows? I don't imagine your GM calls you either! LOL

We shall see! Cheers!

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You know, I can always tell a person who does not watch the Canucks when there are statements like this............

But it is even funnier, when you watch Nick Paul and can't see the difference............

Nick Paul............$1,350,000...................11 goals 7 assists 18 pts -18
Tyler Motte........$1,225,000................... 7 goals 8 assists 15 pts +5

One is not like the other...........................but you go ahead and believe what you want.

I am not in any way saying Motte has the value of a 1st, certainly not a 1st and Liljegren, but he is worth a mid to late 2nd.

Some one suggested Knies..........I would take that or the 2nd

Guys, you do not have to believe me, but Motte is a good bottom 6 player.
I'm sorry but a prospect like knies isn't going to be traded for Motte. Motte has a value of a 2nd which shows just how good of a bottom 6 forward he really is, a really good one.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I'm sorry but a prospect like knies isn't going to be traded for Motte. Motte has a value of a 2nd which shows just how good of a bottom 6 forward he really is, a really good one.

Ohhhhhh, your saying Motte is better than Knies...............ok, Knies and a 2nd

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Ohhhhhh, your saying Motte is better than Knies...............ok, Knies and a 2nd
No I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear, knies is the leafs top prospect, hes worth more then a first atleast to the leafs so he wouldn't be in a Motte trade. 2nd rounder plus a prospect is what I believe Mottes value to be because he is such an effective bottom 6 forward.

Reactions: zcaptain

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
You know, I can always tell a person who does not watch the Canucks when there are statements like this............

But it is even funnier, when you watch Nick Paul and can't see the difference............

Nick Paul............$1,350,000...................11 goals 7 assists 18 pts -18
Tyler Motte........$1,225,000................... 7 goals 8 assists 15 pts +5

One is not like the other...........................but you go ahead and believe what you want.

I am not in any way saying Motte has the value of a 1st, certainly not a 1st and Liljegren, but he is worth a mid to late 2nd.

Some one suggested Knies..........I would take that or the 2nd

Guys, you do not have to believe me, but Motte is a good bottom 6 player.
Somebody isn't familiar with Matthew Knies...

Reactions: Rude Dog

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
To be quite honest, i dont see Motte getting traded for less than a first round pick. Yes, he is defitintely not worth a frist round pick, but he is cheap, in his prime and effective in his role. It takes a massive overpayment for us to willingly trade him, especially when we are in the middle of a playoff race.

Feb 19, 2018
To be quite honest, i dont see Motte getting traded for less than a first round pick. Yes, he is defitintely not worth a frist round pick, but he is cheap, in his prime and effective in his role. It takes a massive overpayment for us to willingly trade him, especially when we are in the middle of a playoff race.
I agree 100% on this. They love the player but probably feeling pressure to sell off on their UFA’s due to inept management from the previous regime. If the price isn’t met then they have an excuse as to why he wasn’t moved.

Reactions: Vancouver_2010

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Honestly, and I mean this sincerely......I don't understand why Toronto does not go hard at Miller...........I know it has been beaten to death, but, I honestly think it puts you guys over the top................. yes, it will cost and it will hurt, but you guys are so close.

It just seems to me, Miller has so much versatility, winger/center/pp/pk/heavy game/finesse game/Face offs, he really, honestly does it all............

Again, you guys have been trying for alot of years, and you don't get many chances............but it is not what you want to give, it is what we want for
Miller at 50%, which is the only way you can afford him..............yes, it is going to be painful, sorry!

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Honestly, and I mean this sincerely......I don't understand why Toronto does not go hard at Miller...........I know it has been beaten to death, but, I honestly think it puts you guys over the top................. yes, it will cost and it will hurt, but you guys are so close.

It just seems to me, Miller has so much versatility, winger/center/pp/pk/heavy game/finesse game/Face offs, he really, honestly does it all............

Again, you guys have been trying for alot of years, and you don't get many chances............but it is not what you want to give, it is what we want for
Miller at 50%, which is the only way you can afford him..............yes, it is going to be painful, sorry!
Miller is phenomenal its just that if we bring him in hes going to cost a ton, and there's no guarantee we can resign him. If we could resign him I'd pay the price and in the offseason I'd move Nylander because Miller is better.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

If it costs too much, guess we will have to settle for Motte. Good utility players.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022

Easy answer? Price to acquire Miller is insanely to high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad