Post-Game Talk: the Leafs are undefeated, and we won the shootout. no the world is not ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Exactly, if I remember correctly Carlyle's first 20 odd games here were abysmal as well. Don't get me wrong I like Carlyle and am thankful to have him but it's way too early to judge Eakins.

Carlyle said himself that he wasn't coaching the last 20 games. He let the assistants handle it for the most part. They played Ron Wilson hockey for that last part.

Carlyle said he didn't want to come in with 20 games left and completely flip this team over, because it would do more harm then good at the time

pacdunes

Jan 24, 2011
Arizona & San Fran
I'm just saying how everyone here thought that Eakins would be the better coach than Carlyle.

Yes, Eakins is not off to a great start but I would much rather have Carlyle than him.
That's why everyone here posts on an anonymous Internet website, and gets paid nothing. While Leafs management get paid to make decisions.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Are you seriously asking why a career minor-league coach would accept his first NHL job?

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. This team allows near-constant odd-man breaks against, is often completely lost for long periods of time in their own zone, has way too many unforced turnovers in their own zone, and being good on the PK doesnt change that. The team defense is still very sloppy, and has been especially so to begin this season. If Edmonton had Bernier instead of Dubnyk perhaps they'd be 2-0 instead of 0-2. If we had Dubnyk instead of Bernier maybe we would also have two losses.

The defense overall is actually pretty awful.
He could have gone to coach some place else. He was given multiple offers.

I have to disagree on you there. The most noticeable changes Carlyle bought is making them collapse to the crease when they are in trouble. Two defenseman that have stood out to me was Phaneuf and Franson (expect sens one). Ranger and Gardiner looks rusty to me and Gunarsson look good and bad at times. I think it's more of the individual fault than the team. You cannot seriously think that Carlyle hasn't bought any changes to this team.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Did you happen to notice they were missing RNH and Gagner which forced them to try to Hall at center .

RC is a very good coach and Eakins may be in the future so I don't understand the need to slag one to pimp the other ?

Our team has been a cluster **** defensively so far this season and our goalies have bailed them out . I don't blame RC , I blame the guys he has to work with .

Still, allowing 11 goals in 2 games is still unacceptable and I'm sure many oilers fans are unhappy about his performance so far.

I think our team defense is fine, we do make some mental lapses at times but I think its more on the individual players fault and not Carlyle. Gardiner is more of a high risk - high reward player, Rangers looks rusty to me and Fraser has been acceptable. Like I said above the only two defenseman that stood out to me is Franson and Phaneuf.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Had to wait for a while to watch the replay.... Definitely worth it. Can't hurt to jump out to an early lead.

I love Colton Orr. Give him a lot of credit for turning into a serviceable player, unbelievably hard worker, fantastic checker and did I mention the hard work part???

Is it just me or does Bodie look like he could absolutely pull off the top 6 PF thing? Decent wheels, throws the body and great along the boards. Wouldn't mind him sticking around all year.

Bolland and Raymond....considering how well the off-season additions have played, let's just say I'm feeling pretty good about Clarkson.

Phaneuf had a phenomenal game. Loved seeing him sit Spezza down.

Kadri, Franson and Bozak were pretty awful, although Bozak somewhat redeemed himself.

Can't get over how good Rielly looked. Haven't seem him play much but he seems like a very intelligent player. He's a lock to stay with the big club if he plays like this for a few more days. Did not deserve to be a minus player tonight.

Felt bad for Reimer but Bernier was just a brick wall. Bernier should start the next game. Maybe the next one after that if he keeps playing like this.

Have to say, I'm concerned about Kessel. He's not on the same level as he was towards the end of the last year. He's sooooo afraid of getting hit and I'm so sick of his "oops I took a long route to the puck so I didn't have to get in there and take a hit, instead I'll just swoop by and give up possession" move. Almost as annoying as his "I don't want to get hit and it looks like I'm the first one to the puck, here's a quick, blind pass to somewhere I hope a teammate is" move. I realize he's a dynamic offensive player but he has to learn how to play a possession game.

What happened with Abbot and Devane? I thought both looked decent, definitely not the worst on the ice but I don't remember seeing either after the 1st intermission. Would have liked to see more of Abbot at least.

Agreed for the most part, except for the obligatory Bozak bash and your assessment of Phil. Bozak played his role well and while he did miss a glorious chance (which is automatically bash-worthy for some), he did play a big role in the JVR goal and was clutch again on the SO.

As for Kessel, the guy gets high sticked in a puck battle in the slot, has participated in offensive zone cycles and has done some decent work near our goal line digging for loose pucks. It's baffling how some people don't see the marked signs of Kessel having bought into the system.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Agreed for the most part, except for the obligatory Bozak bash and your assessment of Phil. Bozak played his role well and while he did miss a glorious chance (which is automatically bash-worthy for some), he did play a big role in the JVR goal and was clutch again on the SO.

As for Kessel, the guy gets high sticked in a puck battle in the slot, has participated in offensive zone cycles and has done some decent work near our goal line digging for loose pucks. It's baffling how some people don't see the marked signs of Kessel having bought into the system.

I'm not a Bozak hater and think people are extremely harsh on the guy but I wouldn't say he played a big role on JVR's goal but he did exactly what Kessel needed him to do. It all started with an extremely smart play by Kessel to hold on to the puck and push it forward, relying on Bozak to get it into the zone. Bozak did that, took a hit to get it done but let's be honest, that play was more stupid on Methot than it was smart on Bozak. It was only Methot and Karlsson in the zone and Methot decides to take the body at the blue line while he saw Kessel was barely a stride behind Bozak. Methot took himself out of play for no reason at all and left Karlsson alone to deal with Kessel and JVR streaking towards the net.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Still, allowing 11 goals in 2 games is still unacceptable and I'm sure many oilers fans are unhappy about his performance so far.

I think our team defense is fine, we do make some mental lapses at times but I think its more on the individual players fault and not Carlyle. Gardiner is more of a high risk - high reward player, Rangers looks rusty to me and Fraser has been acceptable. Like I said above the only two defenseman that stood out to me is Franson and Phaneuf.

I'm not saying the Oilers play has been acceptable or that Eakins has done a good job preparing the team for this season . I'm just saying you can't judge him by only 2 games especially while RNH and Gagner have been injured .

Our team defense has been brutal so far . If it wasn't for our goaltending we'd be 0 and 3 . Some of the D have had good games but overall we've been below avg . It's also just not the D's fault , or forwards havn't provided much support for them either .

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Bodie looked good again. He has some very good hockey sense for a "goon". Could be a decent 3rd/4th liner if he is kept up with the big boys.

I would still like to see a bit more edge from him though.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010

Their team is also horrendous, with no defence or an actual goalie, how can you expect anything less.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Bodie looked good again. He has some very good hockey sense for a "goon". Could be a decent 3rd/4th liner if he is kept up with the big boys.

I would still like to see a bit more edge from him though.

I think Bodie is too good a player to be considered a "goon" at this point. His skating is especially impressive.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I think Bodie is too good a player to be considered a "goon" at this point. His skating is especially impressive.

Carlyle has a way with these type of players. They always contribute in his teams.

Bodie has been a big surprise to me. His puck skills, passing, board play, and net drive have brought a very good element into the bottom six that I thought would be missed when Clarkson was suspended.

I hope Carlyle keeps him up for a while.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Carlyle has a way with these type of players. They always contribute in his teams.

Bodie has been a big surprise to me. His puck skills, passing, board play, and net drive have brought a very good element into the bottom six that I thought would be missed when Clarkson was suspended.

Bodie-McClement-Orr has the makings of a very capable 4th line. One that can play more than just a handful of shifts per game and doesn't make you hold your breath every time they end up on the ice against dangerous lines.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Bodie-McClement-Orr has the makings of a very capable 4th line. One that can play more than just a handful of shifts per game and doesn't make you hold your breath every time they end up on the ice against dangerous lines.

Rather Devane over Orr, since Devane can actually do something with the puck. Orr is pretty bad. Cant skate, cant shoot, cant pass. All he can do is occassionally play physical and drop the mitts. gotta be able to do more in this day and age.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Rather Devane over Orr, since Devane can actually do something with the puck. Orr is pretty bad. Cant skate, cant shoot, cant pass. All he can do is occassionally play physical and drop the mitts. gotta be able to do more in this day and age.

Did you watch the playoffs, or this game? Go ask the Sens how effective Orr was last night. Take a stroll in their GDT. Seriously just take a look.

Tyler Biggs*

Aw yes. Depth. Depth everywhere.

Not sure why all the crying about the PP's being lopsided - it is either a penalty or it's not a penalty! Not the refs job to make sure the penalties are evenly distributed. How about the high stick on Kessel? The trip in OT?

Feel bad for Reimer but Bernier's puck handling and rebound control is just better. Love the comeback and what about the million dollar man Raymond.

What a game. If this is any preview of what the Battle of Ontario is going to be like over the next few seasons, we're in for a treat.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Orr can definitely play, he really improved his game last year and has continued to do so

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Bodie has earned a spot on this team. Injuries will always play their part and I wouldn't mind seeing him on the third line once in a while. His speed is really evident and it seems like he just gets out there and gives it 100% every shift. Loving it!

Tyler Biggs*

Leafs play the Senators. Leafs win. Broken record. Mason Raymond looks amazing out there and Troy Bodie is playing great as well.

Just when it looks like it's over, here comes Bernier to save the day! I've been a supporter of Reimer since he made his Leaf debut back in the 10-11 season and I can understand why he got the start tonight. The first two goals were nearly impossible to stop but the next two were definitely stoppable, if Bernier plays like he has been it's gonna bring the best out of both goalies in the end. Great to be a Leafs fan right now!

I love James Reimer, he's a great guy along with a good goalie. That being said, there is NO doubt that Bernier has won the right to start games for the Leafs. Arguably the best goalie the Leafs have had in a decade.

I'd take sloppy wins over tough losses any day! Go Leafs Go!

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Carlyle loves a hard worker. He loves a player that can take criticism and turn it into improvements in his game. He can get contributions out of a player like Bodie because Bodie most likely already has the work ethic that Carlyle admires and rewards. Guys like Bodie know they don't have the raw skill to coast by in the league. They need to hustle and work their ***** off to make an impression and stick with a team.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I was at the game last night and man was the crowd into it. It was good to see the crowd so lively. Bernier was incredible. I haven't seen the Raymond shootout replay but live it looked like he stopped. Rielly looked pretty good, he got better as the game went on. Our break out is terrible, Caryle needs to get something going there because it was awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad