The Leafs are positioned to submit offer sheets on RFAs; is it worth the risk?

Feb 24, 2004
Don't forget the Weber deal is a back diving contract signed prior to the new CBA.

It's really hard to make a 7-year contract be "too onerous" for a budget team. The new CBA even has rules on how much cash a player gets year-to-year (i.e. a specific percentage per year).

On top of that, compensation is determined by the average of the 5 highest earning years, not the AAV of the entire contract, so front-loading the deal means you likely are pumping yourself up to 4x 1st rounder compensation.

No matter how you slice it, offer sheets are dangerous business at the best of times. The ONLY teams that should be considering offer sheets are teams vying for the Cup wanting to hamstring a divisional rival.

The perfect example was San Jose offer sheeting Hjalmarsson so that Chicago would have to let Niemi his free agency, and San Jose scooped up the player they really wanted for free.

I understand the rules - there is a way to structure the offer sheet so that the front two years are $24M and $18M. With a diving Canadian dollar (some experts have it going as low as 60 cents USD), I honestly think they might have trouble.

This is all premature, but it's an example.

techwontlead

Feb 20, 2016
Boston on Kessel...Boston on Hamilton --- they didn't wait for offer sheets...they made a trade to their liking. Same thing Colorado did with O'Reilly.

techwontlead

Feb 20, 2016
..go after a young D-man if we get Stamkos without giving up a pick. Add in this yrs. 1st rounder...Nylander...Marner...Reilly ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad