LeBrun: "The Leafs are phoning around looking at defensemen on PTOs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I've watched a lot of Barrie, he would be in your top 4. Bouchard is way better than the leafs young players. Ceci is way better than holl.

You mad?

You've probably cumulatively spent several days worth of your life frantically posting on a hockey board about a team you don't even follow. You ever just stop and think "what am I doing with my life"?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I don't know what to tell you if this is your take honestly. Barrie in the Leafs top four? They did that - didn't work. They let him walk and signed Brodie - much, much, much better results.

They let him walk....only after dropping him down to #6D by the playoffs, where he was still terrible.

Reactions: CanHeDoIt99

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That’s actually false and I’m far from an Oilers fan. Ceci has been a solid second pairing D for them and Barrie is not worse than Toronto’s bottom pair.

Ceci, sure. He's been a different player since going to Edmonton. Barrie not so much. He's a complete train wreck.

The way I see it is Toronto's Defensive depth is slightly better then Edmonton, but Nurse is the closest thing to an actual #1D out of either group. Overall its fairly even between the two. Where some separation might occur is how the young kids progress on each side, Sandin/Liljegren on Toronto's side versus Bouchard/Broberg on Edmonton's side.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
I think you overrate the Leafs group tbh.
The only 3 clearly above him are Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin when healthy. Then I’d go:
Ceci
Giordano
Barrie/Holl

I'm surprised how many people are down on Giordano. His on ice results in Toronto were absurdly good. Much better than anything Ceci did in Toronto (or Edmonton). Hes not a norris guy anymore, but hes a capable #4 that is fortunately going to likely not have to play those minutes because of the Leafs depth.

Holl has been a top four for the Leafs the two seasons before playing with Muzzin and it was their go-to shutdown pairing.

Sandin/Liljegren are both young, and sheltered minutes. But they decimated their competition within these minutes more than any other third pair in the league. I'm not saying they're both legitimate top 4 guys, but they're at the top end of bottom pairing guys with clear potential to step into top four roles given their performance IMO.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
100% Gio is above him, Gio is still a hell of a player. I'd argue Liljegren is too, just needs more of an opportunity.

won't argue Sandin/Holl at this point, I don't mind Ceci as a player.
I think Leaf fans underrate Ceci because of his play in Toronto. I’ve watched lots of him and Gio and Ceci is better by quite a bit at this point.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If Dahlstrom is out for most of the season. With Liljegren and Benn out 3-4 weeks. I'm sure they're looking for a depth defenseman to replace Dahlstrom. They have 7 healthy NHL defenseman already if you include Mete.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ceci, sure. He's been a different player since going to Edmonton. Barrie not so much. He's a complete train wreck.

The way I see it is Toronto's Defensive depth is slightly better then Edmonton, but Nurse is the closest thing to an actual #1D out of either group. Overall its fairly even between the two. Where some separation might occur is how the young kids progress on each side, Sandin/Liljegren on Toronto's side versus Bouchard/Broberg on Edmonton's side.
I actually prefer Toronto’s group by a fair amount over Edmonton. But I’d rank Toronto above average. Maybe 12th to 15th. The age of some of them is the biggest concern.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Dubas' can't evaluate talent or their fits on the team. Hence why he trades for Barrie and then Barrie leaves to have a much better year else where. Same for Ceci, who was solid in Pittsburg and then Edmonton.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
I think Leaf fans underrate Ceci because of his play in Toronto. I’ve watched lots of him and Gio and Ceci is better by quite a bit at this point.
I watch a fair amount of the Oilers and Ceci's praise is being overblown here. Hes been decent - and the reason people talk about it is because the narrative around him was that he was the worst player in the NHL in OTT/TOR.

He wasn't, and he isn't close to that. He's still not a top four guy. Hes a #5 playing in a top four role and doing fine, deserves credit for that. Hes not better than Giordano IMO.

Reactions: leafsfan5

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I don't believe you at all.

I've watched enough of both to know this is not the case.

Gio has looked like our best D at times, he has been a great and steady D for us.

I've seen Cecil with Edmonton too, this is not only Toronto Ceci.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The only 3 clearly above him are Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin when healthy. Then I’d go:
Ceci
Giordano
Barrie/Holl

Giordano is really a shadow of his former self at this point. I’m also sceptical on Muzzin this year as well.

Ceci
Giordano
Barrie/Holl

Giordano is really a shadow of his former self at this point. I’m also sceptical on Muzzin this year as well.

Heh you won't find even the most jaded Leafs fan who would ever take Cody Ceci over 39yr old Gio.

Gio isn't the Norris trophy guy he was (only 4yrs ago) but he's still a damn good top 4 dman. The shadow of a Norris trophy guy is a pretty strong shadow.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't believe you at all.

I've watched enough of both to know this is not the case.

Gio has looked like our best D at times, he has been a great and steady D for us.

I've seen Cecil with Edmonton too, this is not only Toronto Ceci.
Notbias indeed! 😂

I watch a fair amount of the Oilers and Ceci's praise is being overblown here. Hes been decent - and the reason people talk about it is because the narrative around him was that he was the worst player in the NHL in OTT/TOR.

He wasn't, and he isn't close to that. He's still not a top four guy. Hes a #5 playing in a top four role and doing fine, deserves credit for that. Hes not better than Giordano IMO.
He’d be in Toronto’s top 4 imo. Gio should ideally be on the bottom pairing at this point mentoring a young guy. His play has really fallen off.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Very desperate. As expected out of a defence core that has 2 proven good dman that aren't completely past their prime in Brodie and Reilly.
They're really not. Opening night will have Rielly-Brodie-Muzzin-Holl-Sandin-Giordano. That is more than capable and essentially the blueline they had last season, en route to 115 points. If Muzzin isn't ready, it'll be Mete in as the 6D.

They're asking for PTOs just to hit the veteran requirements for preseason games.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I thought that forward core was 4 overrated overpaid choking stars and zero depth?
I think their depth is quite good. Overpaid or not. Choking or cursed? This is the year they break that, right?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Bouchard and broberg are a tier above Sandin and liljegren in terms of potential. Broberg is like 2 draft years younger, which is an eternity for young players.
They're really not. Opening night will have Rielly-Brodie-Muzzin-Holl-Sandin-Giordano. That is more than capable and essentially the blueline they had last season, en route to 115 points. If Muzzin isn't ready, it'll be Mete in as the 6D.

They're asking for PTOs just to hit the veteran requirements for preseason games.
Muzzin is out of his prime and he'll never be fully healthy. Giordano is nearly 40. Lilijgren wasn't even playoff worthy. Sandin wasn't either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Despite your propaganda, I would hope Dubas is doing this as part of the day-to-day due diligence of an NHL general manager. The other night Kerfoot and Jarnkrok played Defence for 2 periods. Now you're going to tell me: "no problem. Nothing to see here.".

No way
This is hilariously, obnoxiously, willfully misleading. They didn't start Kerfoot/Jarnkrok because they have no defensemen they can play. Two defensemen got injured during the game, and they didn't want to play Rielly/Giordano 30 minutes each in a preseason game.

Seriously, try to not be this much of a hater.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lol Ceci is not a different player than he was.

This is just another Hfboards magic trick where excellent career top pair caliber players like Muzzin Brodie Gio become crap as soon as they're Maple Leafs, while players like Ceci magically become good when they leave.

There's only one rule on hfboards - players are bad when they are on the Leafs.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
This is hilariously, obnoxiously, willfully misleading. They didn't start Kerfoot/Jarnkrok because they have no defensemen they can play. Two defensemen got injured during the game, and they didn't want to play Rielly/Giordano 30 minutes each in a preseason game.

Seriously, try to not be this much of a hater.

Its baffling that people don't understand this. They did it for the reasons you mentioned, which frankly any non-senile NHL coach would do in a preseason game unless the teams D core in that game was all AHLers/prospects.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Muzzin is out of his prime and he'll never be fully healthy. Giordano is nearly 40. Lilijgren wasn't even playoff worthy. Sandin wasn't either.
The Leafs' playoff record speaks for itself, sure. But saying they're "desperate" when they're essentially running back a 115-point blueline is just nonsense. Usually you're a pretty level-headed poster, but I guess anti-Leafs bias hits everybody.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad