The last NHL player the Oilers drafted beyond the first round is...

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
When Lander was drafted, the scouting report was Great leadership and good two way centre. He has excellent leadership and captain of the Barons. Any given day Lander is far better player than the fat boy/meat head sestito
Very true, I wish Lander could elevate his game to the next level. He is a character guy, something the big club severely lacks atm.

cfrancis

I'm not comparing Lander to Sestito specifically. Lander should have been one of our near misses in a field that is bringing in a few hits. Lander is one of the only bright spots in the Oilers prospect pool.

One of the only bright spots...... a guy that can't get an everyday spot.....

I don't give a rats behind if Lander was supposed to be better than Sestito. Right now Sestito is worth more as contributing member of an NHL team and an asset that could be traded. You cannot say the same with Lander.

The Oilers should have players like both Sestito and Lander in the organization as well as Eberle, as well as Hendricks, as well as Gordon, as well as Fasth, as well as , as well as

But the Oilers have a bunch of guys who aren't cutting it trying to get out of the AHL to make a team that has been perpetually last place for the past 8 years. It's a freaking joke, the organization is a joke. I'm sick and tired of being embarrassed of saying that I'm an Oilers fan. Of being the brunt end of all of the jokes and jabs. Of biting my tongue when a co worker makes a comment of "Can't lose games against ****** teams like the Oilers" I have to bite my tongue because it's freaking true.

Now I'm venting. You are not the source of my anger, nor do you deserve it. I'm sorry. Serenity now, serenity now.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Nicholson seemed to acknowledge this failing yesterday on the radio. He was asked point blank that since the cup run only 1 player outside the first round has made it to the pros. Martin Marcincin.

Clean everyone out in managment and scouting but him and consolidate his role and Lowes.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
This is definitely a problem when you are running head down into a "Chicago" like "model". I have always hated how we have talked about how many cups we were going to win by doing things like Chicago. The reason why they succeeded is because they nailed a bunch of picks outside the top 10. If you want to chase some stupid dream of winning by losing you better make sure you do it right. We are failing miserably so far.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
I'm not comparing Lander to Sestito specifically. Lander should have been one of our near misses in a field that is bringing in a few hits. Lander is one of the only bright spots in the Oilers prospect pool.

One of the only bright spots...... a guy that can't get an everyday spot.....

I don't give a rats behind if Lander was supposed to be better than Sestito. Right now Sestito is worth more as contributing member of an NHL team and an asset that could be traded. You cannot say the same with Lander.

The Oilers should have players like both Sestito and Lander in the organization as well as Eberle, as well as Hendricks, as well as Gordon, as well as Fasth, as well as , as well as

But the Oilers have a bunch of guys who aren't cutting it trying to get out of the AHL to make a team that has been perpetually last place for the past 8 years. It's a freaking joke, the organization is a joke. I'm sick and tired of being embarrassed of saying that I'm an Oilers fan. Of being the brunt end of all of the jokes and jabs. Of biting my tongue when a co worker makes a comment of "Can't lose games against ****** teams like the Oilers" I have to bite my tongue because it's freaking true.

Now I'm venting. You are not the source of my anger, nor do you deserve it. I'm sorry. Serenity now, serenity now.
I completely understand, trust me its beyond frustrating. I have been here on this board more than a decade yet only one year of playoff run. My folks who lives back in Edmonton are still season ticket holders over 25 years. peace

cfrancis

I completely understand, trust me its beyond frustrating. I have been here on this board more than a decade yet only one year of playoff run. My folks who lives back in Edmonton are still season ticket holders over 25 years. peace

I've lived in Ontario all my life, never been to a game in Edmonton. Been hoping to get to a game or two in Rexall before it's done. To see a game where I grew up watching the Oilers glory years. But I am not spending money to fly to Edmonton, hotel, food, tickets to watch this garbage.

Hell my buddies and I that we usually go to the games in Montreal and Ottawa, we were starting to look for tickets in Montreal but we all have decided that if things continue, we might as well just go to Montreal and spend the $100-150 that we would have spent on tickets on beer instead and have a good time.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I've lived in Ontario all my life, never been to a game in Edmonton. Been hoping to get to a game or two in Rexall before it's done. To see a game where I grew up watching the Oilers glory years. But I am not spending money to fly to Edmonton, hotel, food, tickets to watch this garbage.

Hell my buddies and I that we usually go to the games in Montreal and Ottawa, we were starting to look for tickets in Montreal but we all have decided that if things continue, we might as well just go to Montreal and spend the $100-150 that we would have spent on tickets on beer instead and have a good time.
You are in a hockey hot bed, how could you possibly still cheer for this mess? I too grew up with the 80's Oilers as my heroes too but if I had options like yourself and lived away from Edmonton I think I could easily convert these days. And come to the new arena, Rexall while holding many fond memories, is a crappy rink in a crappy area.

cfrancis

You are in a hockey hot bed, how could you possibly still cheer for this mess? I too grew up with the 80's Oilers as my heroes too but if I had options like yourself and lived away from Edmonton I think I could easily convert these days. And come to the new arena, Rexall while holding many fond memories, is a crappy rink in a crappy area.

I don't change colours easy. I still hold a candle for the Montreal Expos. Yeah, yeah I enjoy punishment....

Living in Ottawa and surrounded by the mess that is Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa media I don't think I could ever get behind any of these teams. The fan bases are insufferable. I get that every fanbase has it's ups and downs but talk to a Habs fan and all you get is "24 CUPS!" as a response. Talk to a Leaf fan and is just plain obnoxious then the Sens fans are so insecure because they are the relative new kid on the block, if you suggest that Karlsson isn't the greatest defenseman in the NHL, it's like a Democrat saying to a Republican that you should cut defense spending by $1.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Very true, I wish Lander could elevate his game to the next level. He is a character guy, something the big club severely lacks atm.

It's easy to be disappointed if you compare his trajectory to somebody like Stoll, who had established himself as a player by the same age in an almost identical draft position.

Stoll was handed a similar opportunity coming out of the lockout in that the team was desperate for centres. Stoll got 68 points out of it in an admittedly different game thanks to the rule changes. Lander at nearly the same age was in a similar circumstance this fall and found himself back in the AHL instead.

The only upside is that Lander is starting to score more in the AHL now than Stoll did during the lockout.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Nicholson seemed to acknowledge this failing yesterday on the radio. He was asked point blank that since the cup run only 1 player outside the first round has made it to the pros. Martin Marcincin.

Clean everyone out in managment and scouting but him and consolidate his role and Lowes.

You have to wonder how much is the scout and how much is the GM or President. For example, Button has always been the Flames scout and was able to garner more NHLers with Feaster at the helm than he was under Sutter. Feaster was not a "hockey guy" and therefore leaned on his staff more.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
To be fair, you don't just run out to the market Monday afternoon and pick up a Pronger in his prime.

That said, NYI has done a wonderful job of creative hole-plugging with the likes of Visnovsky, Boychuck, Hickey, and Leddy in the past 2-3 years.

Snow's done some wonky stuff, but he's been very crafty as well.

Was that Lowe as GM and MacT as Coach when they did go grab guy's like Pronger, Roloson, Tarnstrom, Samsonov, etc. Where's the balls Lowe used to have. Or Sather for that matter. I'm quickly thinking a couple demotions might not be the worse thing (likely better than the status quo): Lowe to GM and MacT to Head Coach, keep that Eakins fellow around as an assistant.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm more concerned about their pro scouting, to be honest.

We have brought in Fistric, Mike Brown, Jerrod Smithsen, Luke Gazdic, Jason LaBarbera, Joensuu, and Nikitin in the past three years. All, at best, below average in their roles.

Break evens: Hendricks, Purcell, Pouliot.

Good: Gordon, Perron, Fayne.

Verdict still out on Fasth and Scrivens.

No great value players in 3 seasons. That has to get better.

I agree with this post, I just want to point out that when we got Perron MacT specifically made reference to our analytics people really liking him. I think he made a similair comment about Fayne as well, Gordon I don't believe was mentioned having a connection to the analytics guys but every single person who wrote about analytics loved Gordon at the time.

With Joensuu he actually mentioned that was the pro scouts call, with Nikitin I can only assume Howson weighed in heavily on that, and when we picked up Gazdic it sounded like our AHL coaching staff weighed in heavily saying if we needed a tough guy (which MacT was openly looking for at the time) he was a good one to pick up.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

When the Oilers take players with at best bottom-six upside with their 2nd/3rd round picks (which mostly has been early ones at that) it's not weird that we have absolutely nothing coming.

#31 Tyler Pitlick
#46 Martin Marincin
#48 Curtis Hamilton
#61 Ryan Martindale

#31 David Musil
#62 Samu Perhonen
#74 Travis Ewanyk

#32 Mitch Moroz
#63 Jujhar Khaira
#91 Daniil Zharkov

These are our picks from the 2nd and 3rd round 2010-2012. It's pretty easy to see a pattern here. These are big guys with not a lot of skill. We went for the same type of players three years in a row and, surprise, it's just not panning out whatsoever. You don't pick players with bottom-six upside at best in the early rounds. You need to go for skill if you ever hope to fill out your roster with players who can actually contribute.

Let's compare this with Detroit Red Wings for instance.

#51 Calle Järnkrok
#81 Louis-Marc Aubry

Here they got Calle Järnkrok in the 2nd round. 3rd round they picked a nonamer but in the 4th they got a promising young player in Teemu Pulkkinen and even better they got Petr Mrazek in the 5th round who looks poised to be a #1 goalie in the league very soon. Already a much better draft with two of their picks being AFTER all of the four Oiler picks.

#35 Tomas Jurco
#48 Xavier Oullet
#55 Ryan Sproul

Here they got three very promising players all in the 2nd round. All of which in my book has more upside than David Musil. Tomas Jurco is already a successful NHLer by the way while Oullet just got called up, has played in four games and is 4-0-1 and +3, averaging over 16 minutes of icetime.

#49 Martin Frk
#80 Jake Paterson

Not as solid of a draft, at least as it stands right now. 4th rounder Andreas Athanasiou could be a steal though and in my book looks better than any of the three guys we picked ahead of him.

TL;DR: You can see a very different approach to drafting between the Red Wings and the Oilers. They are almost exclusively looking for impact players and are getting rewarded for it. Not everyone is going to pan out - that's just the nature of it - but they've made some very good bets. This is kind of ironic considering Detroit has been a playoff team all these years while we have had the luxury of making early picks, yet they have a much more stellar draft record. Goes to show that drafting outside the 1st round isn't a crapshoot but rather about making qualified bets. Kind of like poker, I'd imagine.

The wings are superior in terms of drafting and development for sure and their track record bares that out, but saying none of those guys were considered to have top 6 upside at the time is wrong. Tyler Pitlick was definitely pegged as a 2nd line center of the future he was ranked 25th in Bob McKenzie's draft rankings. Curtis Hamilton was supposed to be something of a 2nd/3rd line tweener a good defensive player with potentially some top 6 offensive upside, and Martindale was considered to be a long shot (everyone taken around then usually is) with top 6 upside who fell in large part cause of injury issues. Zharkov in my 2012 future considerations draft guide he was ranked 32nd overall and was described as a big and strong goal scorer with top 6 upside. I'm no scout but I honestly was pretty fond of the selections we made in that 2010 draft, the others I am less inclined to defend.

Moroz was compared to Lucic by our scouting staff which is what every scouting staff does when they stupidly reach for a big man too early, I never liked that pick and Musil was a reach too IMO, although I didn't hate that one as much at the time. I'm no goalie expert, but I didn't like taking Perhonen there and while I really like the character and grit of Ewanyk and Khaira those two also fit the mold of players who won't be playing in the top 6.

Also for people complaining about us not drafting Saad I really don't recall much of anyone going to bat for him when we were selecting at the time, so it rings of criticizing with the benefit of hindsight. I personally watched him probably 7 times that year and while he seemed skilled I thought he was a really lazy player giving a really poor effort, his draft profiles had similair criticisms and while he was highly thought of earlier in the year he tumbled a lot due to poor point totals and poor work ethic. People who want to complain about passing on Jenner are more then welcome to, cause I think half this board wanted him at the time.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Drafting has always been a crap shoot to be honest. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you are not. Edmonton Oilers recent drafting has been extremely unlucky which balances out the old days when they made great selctions late.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Can you think of a more blatant sign that our drafting and development stink than he fact that our leading scorer on the Barons is a 5'11, 34 year old retread? Good on Williams but crickets from Pitlick, Hamilton, Lander, Kessy, Moroz, et al who are supposed to help drag us out of this mess.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This is a huge part of why Edmonton is so bad. We cannot fill our roster with FAs and trades the way other teams can due to Edmonton being geographically undesirable and the team being so terrible. We rely on the draft and when that's gone, we don't have success.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
We need to stop kidding ourselves. Lander Moroz Khaira Musil. All of them will amount to nothing.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Drafting has always been a crap shoot to be honest. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you are not. Edmonton Oilers recent drafting has been extremely unlucky which balances out the old days when they made great selctions late.

Recent drafting, you are talking since KLowe got involved in the team, 2000 or so? That's 14 years of bad luck.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Pretty much. Might as well add Roy, Simpson and Gernat to that list, and every goalie prospect in the system.

Honestly everyone here is kidding themselves if they think any of these 2nd 3rd round Oiler picks over the last 5 years will amount to anything.

I love the Einstien quote which states "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".

Fire the entire scouting staff after they correctly draft McDavid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Honestly everyone here is kidding themselves if they think any of these 2nd 3rd round Oiler picks over the last 5 years will amount to anything.

I love the Einstien quote which states "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".

Fire the entire scouting staff after they correctly draft McDavid.

"With the first overall pick, we are pleased to select, from the Boston College Eagles, Noah Hanifin"

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
in fantasy world from 2005 to 2009 draft

What IF we picked:

Lucic over Petry
James Neal over Cogliano
PK Subban over Riley Nash
Shattenkirk over Gagner
TJ Brodie over Motin

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
in fantasy world from 2005 to 2009 draft

What IF we picked:

Lucic over Petry
James Neal over Cogliano
PK Subban over Riley Nash
Shattenkirk over Gagner
TJ Brodie over Motin

Lucic, Neal, Subban, Shattenkirk and Brodie would be busts and we would be hearing how we should have drafted Petry, Gagner, Cogliano, and Nash.

You can literally do this with every team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad