The last NHL player the Oilers drafted beyond the first round is...

KGM

Oct 10, 2014
If you really want to vomit on your shoes look at the first two rounds of 2003.

1st round we got M-A Pouliot.

Ryan Getzlaf, Zach Parise, Corey Perry, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Brent Burns could have been selected.

The Oilers had 2 second round picks in 2003. They drafted Colin McDonald and JF Jacques.

Shea Weber, Patrice Bergeron, Loui Eriksson, Matt Carle, Corey Crawford, David Backes, Jimmy Howard would have been nice to have in the 2nd round but clearly the Oilers knew what they were doing in this draft.

"No other man in hockey today has made as many 1st overall picks as I have... so ya, I think I know a little something about drafting, if there's ever a concern"

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I've often wondered if there's an issue with the soft drink vendors in Rexall, because it seems like when it comes to the draft, it's just one coke machine after the next.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

When the Oilers take players with at best bottom-six upside with their 2nd/3rd round picks (which mostly has been early ones at that) it's not weird that we have absolutely nothing coming.

#31 Tyler Pitlick
#46 Martin Marincin
#48 Curtis Hamilton
#61 Ryan Martindale

#31 David Musil
#62 Samu Perhonen
#74 Travis Ewanyk

#32 Mitch Moroz
#63 Jujhar Khaira
#91 Daniil Zharkov

These are our picks from the 2nd and 3rd round 2010-2012. It's pretty easy to see a pattern here. These are big guys with not a lot of skill. We went for the same type of players three years in a row and, surprise, it's just not panning out whatsoever. You don't pick players with bottom-six upside at best in the early rounds. You need to go for skill if you ever hope to fill out your roster with players who can actually contribute.

Let's compare this with Detroit Red Wings for instance.

#51 Calle Järnkrok
#81 Louis-Marc Aubry

Here they got Calle Järnkrok in the 2nd round. 3rd round they picked a nonamer but in the 4th they got a promising young player in Teemu Pulkkinen and even better they got Petr Mrazek in the 5th round who looks poised to be a #1 goalie in the league very soon. Already a much better draft with two of their picks being AFTER all of the four Oiler picks.

#35 Tomas Jurco
#48 Xavier Oullet
#55 Ryan Sproul

Here they got three very promising players all in the 2nd round. All of which in my book has more upside than David Musil. Tomas Jurco is already a successful NHLer by the way while Oullet just got called up, has played in four games and is 4-0-1 and +3, averaging over 16 minutes of icetime.

#49 Martin Frk
#80 Jake Paterson

Not as solid of a draft, at least as it stands right now. 4th rounder Andreas Athanasiou could be a steal though and in my book looks better than any of the three guys we picked ahead of him.

TL;DR: You can see a very different approach to drafting between the Red Wings and the Oilers. They are almost exclusively looking for impact players and are getting rewarded for it. Not everyone is going to pan out - that's just the nature of it - but they've made some very good bets. This is kind of ironic considering Detroit has been a playoff team all these years while we have had the luxury of making early picks, yet they have a much more stellar draft record. Goes to show that drafting outside the 1st round isn't a crapshoot but rather about making qualified bets. Kind of like poker, I'd imagine.

I just don't get why fans continue to bring how bad our drafting has been in later rounds.

I'm not defending how bad it has been but it is NOT the reason we are currently on a 7 game losing streak. When you are as bad as we are for as long as have been, you walk away with great prospects. The draft is setup so that even idiots walk away with good players.

Their isn't a team since 2010 that has more assets. We have Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, Draisaitl, Marincin Klefbom and Nurse to work with. If the GM and coaching staff can't work with that then we obviously have much bigger problems.

I mean the flames have Jankowski,
Baertschi, Gaudreau, Monahan, Poirier and Bennett in that same time. I don't see how we would be much better with that group.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Stu's just living off that Eberle pick, Minus the 1st overalls/1st round picks, all the other picks have been mostly garbage. Plus we still don't know if Nurse was the right pick over Ristolainen or Nichusken and Draisaitl over Bennet. How does every other team have players they drafted in the 2nd round or later playing prominent roles and all we have is Marincin?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm more concerned about their pro scouting, to be honest.

We have brought in Fistric, Mike Brown, Jerrod Smithsen, Luke Gazdic, Jason LaBarbera, Joensuu, and Nikitin in the past three years. All, at best, below average in their roles.

Break evens: Hendricks, Purcell, Pouliot.

Good: Gordon, Perron, Fayne.

Verdict still out on Fasth and Scrivens.

No great value players in 3 seasons. That has to get better.

How on earth do you figure Hendricks and Purcell are "break even" bringing in Hendricks was very good, and bringing in Purcell was very bad.

We got Marincin in 2010, Rieder in 2011 (it's not the amateur scouts fault he wouldn't sign here), and Yakimov is looking very promising from 2013. Plus anyone that may develop like Pitlick, Moroz, Khaira, etc. It's not the best in the league or anything, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we had

Oct 15, 2008
Not when it's a completely different scouting staff.

Fan frustration is getting ridiculous. People are blaming other fans, old scouting staffs and even the Pctane girls for this teams failures. Let's focus on getting out of this hole instead of piling on things that happened in the past.

They arent completely different. Many of the current scouts were here under the Prendergast years. Including Stu Macgregor.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
To be fair we didn't even have a farm team till 2010.

The Oilers haven't shared a farm team since 06/07. They were in Springfield, and now in Oklahoma. Honestly we seemed to do better before having our own farm team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I just don't get why fans continue to bring how bad our drafting has been in later rounds.

I'm not defending how bad it has been but it is NOT the reason we are currently on a 7 game losing streak. When you are as bad as we are for as long as have been, you walk away with great prospects. The draft is setup so that even idiots walk away with good players.

Their isn't a team since 2010 that has more assets. We have Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, Draisaitl, Marincin Klefbom and Nurse to work with. If the GM and coaching staff can't work with that then we obviously have much bigger problems.

Baertschi, Gaudreau, Monahan, Poirier and Bennett in that same time. I don't see how we would be much better with that group.

I wouldn't consider 2nd and 3rd rounds as "later rounds". These are the rounds where you pick up key players. You can draft all the 1st overall talent you want but that doesn't mean you will have a balanced roster. Chicago got Saad, Hjalmarsson, Krüger, Shaw outside the 1st round. All major players in their Cup run(s). Boston got Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic in the 2nd and 3rd round.

I think I get your point though. We have plenty of good players that theoratically should make us good no matter how our drafting has been. You can say that but you mention both Draisaitl and Nurse who are products of 2013 and 2014 drafts, respectively. It's waaaay too early to make an impact now and honestly, if we would have been good we wouldn't even have picked high last year or the year before but instead relied on the picks outside the 1st round from previous years to fill the holes in the roster. So that's kind of my point. Sure we can sit on our ass and fill our team with ten 1st round picks, that doesn't mean it's a good strategy. Ideally we would actually be able to get pieces outside the 1st round. That's what good franchises do. I don't see what's wrong with aiming for that. We want a club that's competently run, no?

Last edited:

cfrancis

Drafting is the #1 reason why the team is where it is.

Pretty much every other team has a plethora of homegrown talent that the team has picked. Yes we have great top picks and it's very difficult to screw that up. But that will only get you so far as we are noticing.

You need to depth and secondary players to back up your elite. Unfortunately because the Oilers have been unable to draft it they have had to go and get it. But without a cupboard full of prospects to trade, it becomes increasingly difficult to get top end secondary players and depth the fill the holes. The Oilers have had to settle for the best they can afford with what they can offer. They have had to take chances on players and hope for the best and the best clearly has not happened very often.

I look at a team like the Senators because I'm in Ottawa.

Goalie - Lehner (Ott Pick)

Defense - all but Methot are Ott picks (Karlsson, Ceci, Phillips, Cowan, Wiercoch, Borowiecki, Gryba)

Forwards - Lazar, Zibinejad, Condra, Z. Smith, Greening, Hoffman, Neil, Stone, Puempel all Ott picks.

Then when they do trades like Spezza, who is an Ott pick, they can get quality in return and able to fill the hole.

The Oilers do not have this depth and not even close to it. If they could get a good base by drafting well, the pro trades will feed off of it. It is SO important to be drafting well in today's NHL with the cap situation because winning trades now is so difficult.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Drafting is like gambling, any picks you have after second rounder even second rounder you are not sure what you are getting how they are going to pan out.

Let's look at draft picks beyond first round from 2006-2013

Ducks
2008 Justin Schultz 43

Bruins
2006 Lucic (50) and Marchand 71
2012 seth griffith 131

Sabres 2009 Brayden McNabb 66

Flames
2008 TJ Brodie 114
2011 John Gaudreau

Hurricanes
2010 Justin Faulk 37

Hawks
2011 Brandon Saad 43

Avs
2009 Ryan O'Reilly 33 and Tyson Barrie 64

Jackets
2006 Steve Mason 69
2009 David Savard 94
2011 Boonw Jenner 37

Stars
2007 Jamie Benn 129
2010 John Klingberg 131

Wings
2009 Tatar 60

panthers
n/a

KINGS
2007 Simmonds 61, Martinez 95
2008 VOynov
2009 Clifford 35, Jordan Nolan 186
2010 Tofoli 47

Wild
2009 Darcy Kuemper 161
2010 Jason Zucker 59

Habs
2007 PK SUbban 43
2010 Brendan Gallagher 147

Preds
2008 Josi 38
2009 Craig Smith 98

Devils
2008 Adam Henrique 82
2009 Eric Gelinas 54
2012 Severson 60

mind you, i didn't have time to go through every team but its more than half of the teams in NHL. Are you telling me other teams ran jackpot with their late picks.

In that 8 year span of drafting, not one single team got more than 5 above avg NHL players

cfrancis

Are you just including picks that are on their current team?

I just looked at Cbus because I knew you missed
Prout
but there is also Sestito, Dorsett, Atkinson and Calvert are knocking at the door and the last three years are an ?? as most late rounders take 3-5 years to develop.

But it provides depth and assets to trade with. Oilers have nothing to offer. Most of the top prospects are on the team. In order to get something to fill a hole its at the cost of a roster player, which creates another hole.

Unfortunately, in order to adequately get organizational depth through drafting is pretty much 5 years of solid drafting. That's creating half decent prospects out of 30% of the stuff you draft.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
If you take a big picture view of the Oilers minor league systems and drafting record from 2003 to 2014. You get a very disturbing picture.

The Oilers have been all over the map in terms of development. From having no farm team at all to farm teams with 30+ year olds or recalling 27 year old ECHL players to take playing time away from developing prospects.

As for the scouts, i think where they fail sometimes is they look for guys that have the closest to the complete package as possible. Sometimes you have to pick players with one or two really good skills and teach him the rest.

For example, a guy who skates fast and shows good positioning won`t be a 70 pts guy at the NHL but could be a really good Penalty Killing forward. Like Darren Helm for example.

Last edited:

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004

Seriously? Our drafting is putrid. Look at Dallas last game Klingberg was drafted 5th round I believe. WE can't make anything of `6 and 10th overall picks (gags and MPS). Look at Detroit and where guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ericsson (list goes on and one). Doesn't watching Detroit turn late late picks into stars and watching Oilers pick like crap and develop even worse make you a little mad?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Drafting is like gambling, any picks you have after second rounder even second rounder you are not sure what you are getting how they are going to pan out.

Let's look at draft picks beyond first round from 2006-2013

Ducks
2008 Justin Schultz 43

Bruins
2006 Lucic (50) and Marchand 71
2012 seth griffith 131

Sabres 2009 Brayden McNabb 66

Flames
2008 TJ Brodie 114
2011 John Gaudreau

Hurricanes
2010 Justin Faulk 37

Hawks
2011 Brandon Saad 43

Avs
2009 Ryan O'Reilly 33 and Tyson Barrie 64

Jackets
2006 Steve Mason 69
2009 David Savard 94
2011 Boonw Jenner 37

Stars
2007 Jamie Benn 129
2010 John Klingberg 131

Wings
2009 Tatar 60

panthers
n/a

KINGS
2007 Simmonds 61, Martinez 95
2008 VOynov
2009 Clifford 35, Jordan Nolan 186
2010 Tofoli 47

Wild
2009 Darcy Kuemper 161
2010 Jason Zucker 59

Habs
2007 PK SUbban 43
2010 Brendan Gallagher 147

Preds
2008 Josi 38
2009 Craig Smith 98

Devils
2008 Adam Henrique 82
2009 Eric Gelinas 54
2012 Severson 60

mind you, i didn't have time to go through every team but its more than half of the teams in NHL. Are you telling me other teams ran jackpot with their late picks.

In that 8 year span of drafting, not one single team got more than 5 above avg NHL players

Uh, I think you completely failed your list. Hawks does not only have Brandon Saad from that time period. They have Saad, Kruger, Smith, Shaw from that time period. Not to mention guys like Clendening, Pirri, Morin, Nordström who's gotten their feet wet to various degrees. If you go back further you have Hjalmarsson taken in the 4th round 2005, Bickell taken in the 2nd round 2004 and Keith taken in the 2nd round 2002. That's a hell of a lot of talent drafted outside the 1st round and some VERY key pieces to their two Cups. It's not for nothing they've been a successful team.

Detroit also don't only have Tatar to show. They have Jurco, Nyquist, Sheahan, Abdelkader, Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Quincey, Franzén, Andersson, Helm, Mrazek, Oullet and Ericsson on their roster TODAY which was their own draft picks taken outside the 1st round. This is not a coincidence or dumb luck. It's about having a good scouting staff and also being able to properly develop the players they do select. I agree though that Oilers are far from the only team in the league being bad at drafting, but for a franchise doing as poorly as the Oilers and having such a hard time attracting UFA's (at a reasonable price, I might add) being able to draft & develop players is of utmost importance.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Did any of you guys happen to catch the interview with Bob Nicholson yesterday?
He said the organization recognizes there is a problem with the drafting or development or both and they are conducting internal reviews of that part of the organization to determine what the issues are.

Better late than never, hopefully they have people there smart enough to know what to fix and how to do it - just glad they are acknowledging it as a key issue.

Nicholson also said he was happy the Oilers fans are mad because it means they haven't checked out. Lol.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Are you just including picks that are on their current team?

I just looked at Cbus because I knew you missed
Prout
but there is also Sestito, Dorsett, Atkinson and Calvert are knocking at the door and the last three years are an ?? as most late rounders take 3-5 years to develop.

Unfortunately, in order to adequately get organizational depth through drafting is pretty much 5 years of solid drafting. That's creating half decent prospects out of 30% of the stuff you draft.
In that aspect how can we blame MacGregor and crew? Isn't it too early? in given time and or opportunity Lander, Pitlick, Yakimov can all be better than the players you mentioned. I don't even consider Sesito as above avg NHL player.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

When the Oilers take players with at best bottom-six upside with their 2nd/3rd round picks (which mostly has been early ones at that) it's not weird that we have absolutely nothing coming.

#31 Tyler Pitlick
#46 Martin Marincin
#48 Curtis Hamilton
#61 Ryan Martindale

#31 David Musil
#62 Samu Perhonen
#74 Travis Ewanyk

#32 Mitch Moroz
#63 Jujhar Khaira
#91 Daniil Zharkov

These are our picks from the 2nd and 3rd round 2010-2012. It's pretty easy to see a pattern here. These are big guys with not a lot of skill. We went for the same type of players three years in a row and, surprise, it's just not panning out whatsoever. You don't pick players with bottom-six upside at best in the early rounds. You need to go for skill if you ever hope to fill out your roster with players who can actually contribute.

Let's compare this with Detroit Red Wings for instance.

#51 Calle Järnkrok
#81 Louis-Marc Aubry

Here they got Calle Järnkrok in the 2nd round. 3rd round they picked a nonamer but in the 4th they got a promising young player in Teemu Pulkkinen and even better they got Petr Mrazek in the 5th round who looks poised to be a #1 goalie in the league very soon. Already a much better draft with two of their picks being AFTER all of the four Oiler picks.

#35 Tomas Jurco
#48 Xavier Oullet
#55 Ryan Sproul

Here they got three very promising players all in the 2nd round. All of which in my book has more upside than David Musil. Tomas Jurco is already a successful NHLer by the way while Oullet just got called up, has played in four games and is 4-0-1 and +3, averaging over 16 minutes of icetime.

#49 Martin Frk
#80 Jake Paterson

Not as solid of a draft, at least as it stands right now. 4th rounder Andreas Athanasiou could be a steal though and in my book looks better than any of the three guys we picked ahead of him.

TL;DR: You can see a very different approach to drafting between the Red Wings and the Oilers. They are almost exclusively looking for impact players and are getting rewarded for it. Not everyone is going to pan out - that's just the nature of it - but they've made some very good bets. This is kind of ironic considering Detroit has been a playoff team all these years while we have had the luxury of making early picks, yet they have a much more stellar draft record. Goes to show that drafting outside the 1st round isn't a crapshoot but rather about making qualified bets. Kind of like poker, I'd imagine.

and ... these #31 and #32 picks were each and every one of them roundly criticized in HF by Oiler posters at the time.
So, to rehash after the Oilers 2nd round pick the following players were available: 2010- Merrill, Faulk, Smith-Pelly, Toffoli -- so some potential there
2011- Rattie, Jurco, Gibson, Jaskin, Nieto, Saad -- the Oilers bombed out this year
2012 -- Collberg?, Pokka, Severson --- so not a great year and too early to tell on this body of work anyways

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
in Slats era we had good pro scouting team. Slats steal other organizations prospects such as Grier, Graves, Murphy, Gelinas etc

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Oilers' drafting has been substandard. Anything beyond sure fire brain dead easy #1 picks has been questionable, and even then they have been unlucky to have to have BPA to be the same type of players that they had already selected in previous years.

And next to nothing has panned out throughout the rest of the draft. I mean all the Oilers have to show for recent drafts are Eberle #22, Hall #1, Nuge #1, Yak #1, Klefbom #19, Marincin #45. A team like the Ducks has like on the order of 15 guys that they drafted that are playing on their team this year (some are still minor leaguers though) --- and they're not a bad team, and the Oilers most definitely are. And none of those picks were from the top either! OOPs Lindholm was

Anaheim- Getzlaf, Perry, Vatanen, Beleskey, Fowler, Smith-Pelly, Maroon, Lindholm, Etem, Rakell, Palmieri, Karlsson, Manson, Clark, Wagner

cfrancis

In that aspect how can we blame MacGregor and crew? Isn't it too early? in given time and or opportunity Lander, Pitlick, Yakimov can all be better than the players you mentioned. I don't even consider Sesito as above avg NHL player.

Lander is pretty much a bust at this point, he's had opportunity and it appears he is AHL material. Same with Pitlick.

How many 2nd round or later picks are currently on the Oilers?

Petry
Marancin

02 was probably the last successful draft year. And the last few, if the Oilers didn't have a top pick, would they have even gotten a useful player? I can't believe you would even begin to stand up for the Oilers drafting record. :help:

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Lander is pretty much a bust at this point, he's had opportunity and it appears he is AHL material. Same with Pitlick.

How many 2nd round or later picks are currently on the Oilers?

Petry
Marancin

02 was probably the last successful draft year. And the last few, if the Oilers didn't have a top pick, would they have even gotten a useful player? I can't believe you would even begin to stand up for the Oilers drafting record. :help:
you sounded like other teams are getting super star material players in late round picks. I am not saying Lander is good, he is definitely better than Sesitov. If Pitlick was healthy enough he could have been good third/fourth liner.

cfrancis

you sounded like other teams are getting super star material players in late round picks. I am not saying Lander is good, he is definitely better than Sesitov. If Pitlick was healthy enough he could have been good third/fourth liner.

Could have should have.

A lot of teams have half of their team made up of players they drafted.

Oilers have 8 and 4 of them are top 6 picks. There is no depth. Even when they have been trying to draft a bottom 6 player they can't do it. It's pathetic.

Lander can't crack this useless lineup and he's not good enough to trade for anything we need. Bust.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Lander can't crack this useless lineup and he's not good enough to trade for anything we need. Bust.

When Lander was drafted, the scouting report was Great leadership and good two way centre. He has excellent leadership and captain of the Barons. Any given day Lander is far better player than the fat boy/meat head sestito

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad