Pre-Game Talk: The last game of the season*

Answer these questions, friends

• Total voters

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Cant imagine why Seattle would want to beat Vegas tomorrow so they could play us instead for Round 1
So they don't have to play the defending cup champs who only lost 4 games enroute to the Stanley Cup last year.

Yeah, I think they'd still want to do their best and possibly face Vegas instead if Edmonton and Anaheim do their jobs.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

So much to be determined tonight, plus the Leafs, oof and haha

I actually think the Leafs finally get past the first round this year. Tampa's seemed to fizzle out late this year (10-14-4 in their last 28). Maybe it's them saving up for the playoffs, but at some point you can't be as good a team as the Leafs have been for quite a while now and not win a single series.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I actually think the Leafs finally get past the first round this year. Tampa's seemed to fizzle out late this year (10-14-4 in their last 28). Maybe it's them saving up for the playoffs, but at some point you can't be as good a team as the Leafs have been for quite a while now and not win a single series.

...unless....:sarcasm:

Reactions: TB12

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'll be laughing with the rest of us (provided we advance) if they don't, but 5 straight years of losing in winner takes all game is just ridiculous odds.

There are so many factors in my distaste for the Leafs. 1) Sportsnet 2) there was this attitude that Edmonton was too overtly tanking and acting entitlted to rebuild its glory days--and I think there were takes from Burke and then Shanahan of -- I'm going to do things the proper way and not like Edmonton---gafawing at the DOD. And yet the Leafs seem as entitled as anyone else.

In any case if the Leafs win Sportsnet will have to be muted permanently but if they lose....im not sure Sportsnet would continue covering hockey at all.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
I'd just like to see Draisaitl move his feet and play hard. He's turned off the engines in the last three or so games and I'm not sure you can just turn them on again at will. It may take a few games for him to get going again and time isn't a luxury in the playoffs.
Hard disagree. He's a smart player, he turns it on when it makes sense to. For example he was a beast in OT against COL when it was all on the line.

Sure he turns the puck over sometimes but that's the price you pay for his play style (and it's well worth it)

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Agreed, but Drai CAN turn it on again at will. I wish he was a 100% 100% of the time player, but I've sorta accepted that he plays a physically taxing style of hockey and this is his personality.

If we ever win a cup he will be the mvp, He elevates his play better than anyone when it counts.

Hard disagree. He's a smart player, he turns it on when it makes sense to. For example he was a beast in OT against COL when it was all on the line.

Sure he turns the puck over sometimes but that's the price you pay for his play style (and it's well worth it)

I hope you're right. He seemed amazing in March but kind of meh in the last 3-5 games. He'll have to rise to the occasion and somehow overcompensate for the absence of a 2RW. Assuming that Yamamoto will be on his line come playoffs, which, unfortunately, looks like an inevitability, he'll need to learn the McDavid lesson and start shooting rather than trying to force passes.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Bro you sure ? Drai has been our most impactfull forward last few games. He's been all over the place.
I'm not sure about that. He's maybe been better defensively but he was mostly a ghost against Colorado, which is discouraging considering that game was a playoff-type matchup. And the one chance that he did get, he attempted an ill-advised pass while showing hesitancy to shoot. It might just be me, but he seems to have regressed to his old, lazy habits of not moving his feet, attempting high-risk passes, hesitating to shoot, and deferring to others. Hopefully it's just him conserving energy until the real season begins. As I've said before, I don't think Yamamoto is the ideal winger that caters to his strengths and brings the best out of that line.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Break some records, 66 goals and 155 points for Connor. Get a shutout for Skinner, break the all-time PP record.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm not sure about that. He's maybe been better defensively but he was mostly a ghost against Colorado, which is discouraging considering that game was a playoff-type matchup. And the one chance that he did get, he attempted an ill-advised pass while showing hesitancy to shoot. It might just be me, but he seems to have regressed to his old, lazy habits of not moving his feet, attempting high-risk passes, hesitating to shoot, and deferring to others. Hopefully it's just him conserving energy until the real season begins. As I've said before, I don't think Yamamoto is the ideal winger that caters to his strengths and brings the best out of that line.

See I came out of the Colorado game thinking I haven't seen him working so hard coming back defensively in ages. His offensive game was less spectacular, but I saw that game as him deciding he wasn't going to be scored on and was less concerned about whether he was scoring.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe, but goaltending will be big and the Leafs are vastly out matched

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Why aren't we playing Campbell?? He should be able to handle San Jose on a back2back.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
See I came out of the Colorado game thinking I haven't seen him working so hard coming back defensively in ages. His offensive game was less spectacular, but I saw that game as him deciding he wasn't going to be scored on and was less concerned about whether he was scoring.
That's definitely a positive development for him - realizing that defence is just as important - if not more important - than offence in the playoffs. If he can keep the defensive mindset while still contributing to ES offence - even with Yamamoto on his wing - that will go a long way to helping the team win.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Maybe, but goaltending will be big and the Leafs are vastly out matched
Are they though? Matt Murray I can appreciate the sentiment, but he is two time cup winner himself.

Samsonov also has better numbers than Vasilevski this year in Save Pct., GAA, GSAA/game, quality start percentage,

100% history suggests Vasilevski is better bet and I'd never bet against him is an elimination game, but the gap might be close enough on the goaltending front that they can overcome.

I think their biggest hurdle is moreso convincing themselves they can win at this point.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
rd7yz9fbj1h21.png

Reactions: TB12

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Are they though? Matt Murray I can appreciate the sentiment, but he is two time cup winner himself.

Samsonov also has better numbers than Vasilevski this year in Save Pct., GAA, GSAA/game, quality start percentage,

100% history suggests Vasilevski is better bet and I'd never bet against him is an elimination game, but the gap might be close enough on the goaltending front that they can overcome.

I think their biggest hurdle is moreso convincing themselves they can win at this point.
Matt Murray is just hurt and has been Campbell bad.

Samsonov has been good for them, but he's banged up and who knows what he can do.

I get that Samsonov's fancies are good compared to Vasilevski this year, but Vasilevski is just better it's not an argument.

I do agree with you if they can convince themselves they can win. I also think they don't have enough depth.

Why aren't we playing Campbell?? He should be able to handle San Jose on a back2back.
Because you play your starting goalie the last game before the playoffs.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Samsonov has been good for them, but he's banged up and who knows what he can do.

I get that Samsonov's fancies are good compared to Vasilevski this year, but Vasilevski is just better it's not an argument.

I do agree with you if they can convince themselves they can win. I also think they don't have enough depth.

Definitely wasn't meant to say Samsonov could ever be considered better, just that his season has been good enough that, if healthy, he may be able to keep them in it by being better than Campbell's .897 vs. Tampa last year.

Don't overlook that even last year they were scoring on more than 10% of their shots on Vasilevski. Something I don't recall any other team doing vs. Vasilevski in a playoff series except that oddball Columbus series in 2019.

All that said, I need to go shower now for saying anything positive about the Leafs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hope you're right. He seemed amazing in March but kind of meh in the last 3-5 games. He'll have to rise to the occasion and somehow overcompensate for the absence of a 2RW. Assuming that Yamamoto will be on his line come playoffs, which, unfortunately, looks like an inevitability, he'll need to learn the McDavid lesson and start shooting rather than trying to force passes.
Drai gets double coverage anytime he enters ozone because nobody has to even bother covering Yamamoto who deserves to be said seldom sets up in OZone or feeds Drai well either. Last game the most useless player on the line, Yamamoto, was deciding to take muffin shots from nothing positions. Basically ending possessions. In a game where it was really difficult for either team to establish in ozone.

Yamamoto has zero boxcars the past 5 games and only 24pts in the whole season.

Yamamoto is being outproduced outperformed by several Oilers forwards who play bottomsix. The only forward we have that Yams has produced demonstrably better than is Shore. Thats it, thats all.

Drai isn't getting many shots EV because he basically has to gain line, fight off two opponents once in, hopefully get the puck to somebody else, and then skate back as he's not often getting the puck back again. We have the #2 producer in the league playing with a complete nothing player and a player still recovering from injuries.

• Love
Reactions: Duke74

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Because you play your starting goalie the last game before the playoffs.

Toronto has enough depth. I think their "star" players are more of a problem. They havent shown up in big games or elimination games. Their PP has also stunk in playoffs. Funny how their fans/media think having a good PP is a negative until its clicking like 15% below their regular season.

Drai gets double coverage anytime he enters ozone because nobody has to even bother covering Yamamoto who deserves to be said seldom sets up in OZone or feeds Drai well either. Last game the most useless player on the line, Yamamoto, was deciding to take muffin shots from nothing positions. Basically ending possessions. In a game where it was really difficult for either team to establish in ozone.

Yamamoto has zero boxcars the past 5 games and only 24pts in the whole season.

Yamamoto is being outproduced outperformed by several Oilers forwards who play bottomsix. The only forward we have that Yams has produced demonstrably better than is Shore. Thats it, thats all.

Drai isn't getting many shots EV because he basically has to gain line, fight off two opponents once in, hopefully get the puck to somebody else, and then skate back as he's not often getting the puck back again. We have the #2 producer in the league playing with a complete nothing player and a player still recovering from injuries.

I thought Draisaitl didnt have his legs last game but he been amazing before that. Hes been the best Oiler the last month or so. Yes, hes been better than McDavid.

The whole team is pretty much on a roll though. I dont really have any complaints about anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad