The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Tembo the badass elephant: 7/10

Fun little game. Pretty short but decent enough. If you can get it for under 5$, I'd recommend it.

Watch Dogs (1st one): 6.75-7/10

There are things that I liked about the game like the puzzles and exploiting the environment with the cameras and all to figure some stuff out but I find the game could have been shorter by at least 8-10 missions. It was more a grind than anything to complete the game by the end for me.

Little Nightmares: 7.5/10 (games with gold on Xbox)

Would have given this game a better rating if it had been longer, was a bit taken back when I realized the game was over. It gave me a Inside vibe which is another game I enjoyed.

Slayaway camp: 7.5/10 (games with gold on Xbox)

Pretty fun puzzle game with a fun enough theme. At the price it is, you definitely get your money's worth.

Luigi's Mansion 3: 8/10

Pretty fun game with some interesting gameplay/puzzles. This was was my 1st exposure to the Luigi Mansion series and I enjoyed it. I played it with my GF and I do think the level of difficulty could have been harder. It was somewhat inconsistent from one level to another near the end. That being said, there were 1 level in particular that had us confused and some of the gems you have to find were well hidden.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Just beat Spider-Man:Miles Morales. I'd give it an 8.5. An impressive demonstration of the PS5's capabilities, but very short (falls somewhere between a DLC and the last game). If you loved the last game, I'd bump it up to a 9 (which I did). Great story and solid gameplay. Anyone who has any interest in the Marvel Universe should play and enjoy this.
I find it much more difficult. Dodging isn't as fun, I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- - 8/10

This is a fairly short metroidvania but is quite enjoyable. There's not too much backtracking/exploration but what makes the game enjoyable is a unique combat system and fun boss fights. The combat system gives you several different magic spells as well as the ability to switch between fire and wind melee attacks. Every enemy has strengths and weaknesses so you want to make sure to use the proper element to attack with. It adds a fun twist of strategy to each fight vs standard platformer games. It won't take you very long to complete but it's definitely enjoyable for the ride.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - 9 out of 10

Gave this a shot a number of years back, did most of it but struggled towards the end. Decided to try it again and enjoyed it way more, finding it less punishing. This may be due to playing with no shield, a first for me in a souls game.

Still didn’t make me particularly good Dark Souls player, over levelling will always be important to my play style. But I like rerunning areas in Souls type games.

Killed everyone I couldn’t kill before. Got the platinum and shut it done rather pleased with gaming. Kind of want to buy Dark Souls remaster, gave me a push towards getting a PS5 so I can redo Demons Souls.

Reactions: Andrei79

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Final Fantasy7 Remaster - 7 out of 10

Never played the originals so know legacy nostalgia for me, but the game was perfectly fine. I will play the next part, though probably wait for it to be on a good sale.

finished a first play through but really haven’t felt a drive to continue to a platinum. Not the open world type of game I really enjoy but it was a nice buffer game after Dark Souls 2. Story was ok, though don’t really understand the over arc, but am not annoyed by that. Characters were sometimes a bit too caricature for my liking but again mostly ok.

Final Fantasy 15 was the only other FF game I played and I think I like the fighting in this game quite a bit more. Not much more to say.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
iu

Jedi: Fallen Order

9/10

I couldn't keep myself invested in Death Stranding and to a lesser extent Witcher 3, and Halo: MCC was (obviously) really underwhelming graphics-wise, so when Jedi: Fallen Order went on sale for 50% off ($20) I bought it.

Incredible change of pace from playing longer, open-world games. The story is top notch, have to say it again, the story is top notch!

The boss battles on anything higher than Story Mode is really challenging, but Story Mode is incredibly fun to play through because you get to feel like an actual Jedi from the movies. The combat and skills are incredibly fun and varied enough that you never get bored with it.

The game in Story Mode is like being part of an interactive movie. You don't really have many character decisions to make, it's a linear story driven by characters with a pre-determined path, but man if I didn't enjoy it.

If you're a fan of Star Wars: Rebels/Rogue One, you'll love this game. The depth of the world and story telling is just incredible

It's not a long game, neither is it a huge game (there are only 5 worlds total to explore,) but man if it isn't executed to near-perfection--especially the final act, it's *chef's kiss* perfection

P.S. Origin is pants software

EDIT: Wanted to add that this game gives strong Mass Effect 1 & 2 vibes. If you liked those games, you'll really like this game as well

Last edited:
Reactions: PepperKeenan

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1cuwe2X.jpg

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered (PS4, 2020 - originally PS3, 2009)

Modern Warfare 2 is probably the most excited I've ever been for a game's release. While things like Gran Turismo 5 and BioShock Infinite were extended hype massacres where I followed every piece of news possible and imagined even more besides, for the two or three weeks before MW2's release I was completely beside myself. It feels almost quaint now to go back and watch the pre-release trailers and remember my excitement - although if nothing else, there's no question that Call of Duty games do presentation very, very well. When the time finally came for me to play it, the game was everything I could have hoped for. What an experience.

With that in mind, and with memories of the Modern Warfare remaster fresh in my mind, what to make of the Modern Warfare 2 remaster? Like last time you play in two campaigns simultaneously. You are Gary "Roach" Sanderson, part of the elite Task Force 141 squadron of soldiers who appear to be the SAS but better, who go around stopping bad guys. You're off flying around the world to try and take down Makarov, the apparent best terrorist in the world who's revealed as the true mastermind of the previous game's events. You are also Ramirez!, a Sergeant (I think) in the US Army who has to deal with a Russian invasion of the United States.

When I played MWR (from now on: MWR and MW2R, I promise) the thing that surprised me the most was how heavy the gameplay felt, both in mechanics and sound. The weaponry felt substantial and the combination of sound and ambient music contributed to an impactful atmosphere which complemented the story. Maybe it's because that stood out so much, but I don't think it's there to the same extent in MW2R. The music isn't quite there and levels which in their original guise felt like fights to keep the world from imploding now just feel stale and lifeless. It's hard to really define why but it just doesn't feel very involving. The gameplay itself feels slightly more refined than MWR which is good - enemies aren't quite the bullet sponges they were and explosions now actually damage people, but the overall atmosphere is lacking, which is poor.

The gameplay is an improvement on all the areas of MWR which needed improvement. The guns and grenades are better as mentioned, but the enemy AI is a massive improvement too. By that I mean there actually is enemy AI. Your squadmates are as useless as ever (the 141 guys are a bit better than the Americans) but there's actually a finite supply of enemies and they take up the sort of positions you would expect them to, so it's not so bad. The new weapons and equipment such as riot shields offer different approaches to gameplay which is a welcome change, but it can feel inconsequential - you're still achieving the same outcome in a way that's only slightly different.

When I played the Uncharted series last year I noted a complaint which contemporary reviewers had too - levels had been designed with grandiose setpieces in mind first, then had a plot shoehorned into them later. This is why in Uncharted 3 you have an hour long detour into a derelict cruise ship, for instance. MW2 feels the same in places. While MW's SAS sections were interesting because of their focus on stealth, one of the first 141 missions has you chasing someone through a favela in Brazil which is littered with an armed militia. Who are you chasing? A guy who knows Makarov. What benefit does catching him serve? It... does a thing, I suppose. Still, you get an exciting climb through a slum, with enemies popping up on roof tops and from windows to make trying to stay alive a complete nightmare. You even have another mission going through the other side of the favela, just in case you didn't have your fill of the setting.

While the US-based missions have a coherent story to them (well, a story you can follow) 141's just feel like a series of setpieces with nothing really connecting them outside of the cutscenes in between telling you they're connected. You go from a Russian military base in a blizzard to the favela, then you're on an oil rig, then you're in a gulag based on classic 90s action film The Rock, then you're in some woods and on a nuclear submarine base, it's nonsense. In the US campaign you're fighting through Virginia and Washington to get power back from the Russians. You're on the streets of D.C., you're destroying the World War Two memorial with a minigun mounted on a helicopter with barely a shred of irony, from the same series which brought you the aftermath of a nuclear bomb going off and a ghillie-suited romp through the remnants of the Chernobyl disaster. I'd say there's supposed to be a serious commentary on war here, but there are too many explosions for me to be sure.

Ironically, the setpieces in the American campaign are the most memorable here, probably because they're recognisable. There is, simply, a visceral thrill in fighting through waves of enemies in the grounds of the White House to try and take it back before the entire city gets bombed. There's a stunned sense of awe as you go through the streets just after an EMP has been set off to take out all the helicopters and vehicles and power. The most visually impressive scene in the whole game happens here, with a thunderstorm pouring down onto a silent and seemingly deserted street against a backdrop of burning buildings. It sent the fan in my PS4 into overdrive but the entire level served a significant contrast to the previous few hours' explosions and shouting, so it stands out for that.

For all of Call of Duty's faults as a series, I will always defend the characterisation in the Modern Warfare games. Price, Soap and Gaz were absolute heroes last time. Now Soap has the voice of a man who clearly takes no shit at all, and Gaz's voice is strangely transplanted into a new man called Ghost who wears a balaclava with a skull on it. The American campaign also sees Keith David, an actor who seems to exclusively play angry military types, telling you what to do, so there's attention to realism there if nothing else.

Price and Soap will always be two of my favourite video game characters, and this game is probably the biggest reason why. I'm going to give you an example to back this up:

In Call of Duty games, quotes about war and liberty from famous people in history appear on screen to rub in the fact you've died. It's one of the series' few moments of subtlety, although there are some unattributed efforts in MW2 which I'm pretty sure were made up by the developers. One of them here is a quote from George Orwell: "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."

Looking it up however I've discovered that wasn't an Orwell quote at all, although as this link notes its foundations lie in a sentiment which was central to a lot of his essays on nationhood: People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf – Quote Investigator

Anyway, even if it is made up, the sentiment is understandable. It's why I love Price and Soap so much. Aside from the obvious confidence Price inspires with his voice and his hat and his moustache, their existence is simple. There is a job to do. It is a job which 99.9% of all the people who have ever lived could never imagine existing, never mind being able to carry it out themselves. They know that to fail is to not only lose themselves, but the justice of the world around them. That is their purpose. That is their enduring power. Their resolve is their biggest strength. It is immovable. It's a credit to Infinity Ward that for all the things the Call of Duty franchise is responsible for that they have characters as engaging as this. I played through this three times while I was trying to get all the trophies, and at the end of the third go I was genuinely moved as the final scene finished.

While MWR was in ways more than the game I remembered, MW2R was somehow less. Maybe it's because I was familiar with the modernised graphics and mechanics, maybe it's because the jump from original to remaster wasn't as severe since it's a more recent game, I don't know. For all their faults though I will always hold these games dear as a significant part of my gaming experience. It's nice to know that years later, I can do that objectively. Hopefully they get a move on with a Modern Warfare 3 remaster so I can be let down by that.

*Note: when I reviewed Modern Warfare Remastered recently I said it was set in 2019. It was set in 2011, MW2 was set in 2016. I don't know why I thought otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Portal Reloaded - 9/10

Portal Reloaded is a free community mod that brings a third portal to the equation, a time portal. You can travel forward in time and back to the present. Things you do in the present can affect what happens in the future and you have to take advantage of this to solve all the test chambers. The chambers get very challenging and require some precise and quick shots in order to solve some of them. Overall, it's a great addition for any Portal fan. The humor's pretty good but not nearly as good as the base game with GlaDOS. But if you enjoy the Portal series and want even more with a great twist in time portals, you'd be crazy not to give this a shot!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Portal Reloaded - 9/10

Portal Reloaded is a free community mod that brings a third portal to the equation, a time portal. You can travel forward in time and back to the present. Things you do in the present can affect what happens in the future and you have to take advantage of this to solve all the test chambers. The chambers get very challenging and require some precise and quick shots in order to solve some of them. Overall, it's a great addition for any Portal fan. The humor's pretty good but not nearly as good as the base game with GlaDOS. But if you enjoy the Portal series and want even more with a great twist in time portals, you'd be crazy not to give this a shot!
I'm curious how the humor works if it's a mod. Is it just new text dialogue, or a whole community voice acted thing?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Jedi Fallen Order

While I initially loved this game, it got super stale and the final boss sucked pretty bad. I liked the set pieces a lot, although it feels like they ran out of budget in the second half as the Wookie village in kashyyk had like 2 houses and they made you take a long ass walk through the entire level back to your ship after beating every stage as if they didn't have time to properly make a shortcut or transport back. The story also was kind of hit and miss and I'm not one for that sappy "overcoming your past" storyline. Although I probably could have stood more if it was half as long.

Also this game is like 720p on the series S. Come on I know they can do better than that.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Streets of Rage 4 - 8/10

I grew up on the Streets of Rage games so this was all about reliving some nostalgia. It was a lot of fun. I haven't really played a brawler in a long time but there was so much that reminded me of the originals in here. They did a great job modernizing it while staying true to the original. Overall, it was a fun albeit short experience. I finished it in co op in under 2 hours in one sitting.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Kingdoms of Amalur Re-reckoning 7.5/10

Game still holds up well for being almost 10 years old, they shined it up a little bit but it was not a complete remaster, it felt a bit dated but still worth a play through. It's a shame that 38 studios went belly up shortly after the game came out, this was an excellent debut game for a small studio

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Outriders 6/10

Launch issues aside, it was a fun game in a chaotic sense. I honestly really enjoyed it both co-op and solo.

About halfway through, though, it really started to drag.

If you want my (updated) opinion, I'm going to have to recommend you wait for a sale and play with friends.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
It Takes Two - 9/10

There aren't many games designed specifically for co-op out there but this should be the blueprint on how to do it. Every level had it's own theme as we travel through some crazy worlds and dealing with what may seem like regular creatures you encounter every day but those that are significantly larger than you. The themes were a lot of fun and the aesthetic for each level was great. There was a lot of "Oh man, this is so cool!" or "This is really neat!" moments that you experience just seeing something enlarged and using it to your advantage. Each level feels very fresh as you get a new ability for each stage. There were multiple bosses within each stage as well and they were all a lot of fun.

The story itself was kind of cutesy, feels like a bit of a Disney story, but there was also a lot of great humor in it. I feel like the music is really underrated in this game as well, there were some great songs thoughout the game. There was usually plenty of time to goof off and enjoy mini games along the way as well. Overall, if you have a friend you want to play this with, it's definitely a must buy. It was a great experience all the way through.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Alan Wake 8/10

Great game that I played partway thru and didn't finish when it originally released on the XB360, still looks great over 10 years later, and a great story, would have made a good psychological horror movie

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
CS:GO, 9/10. I still playing it, it's one of my favs. I try to follow cs go premier tournaments at https://tips.gg/csgo/tournaments to improve my skills. Also it gives full access to the esports database with upcoming matches and teams analysis with ranking. Hope one day I'll will take part in premier tournament too. Btw here is promocode 89D850 for new players, it gives 500 poins.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Resident Evil Village - 9/10

I'm not a huge Resident Evil fan but I loved 7 because of the change to first person. After playing 7 and hearing this was also going to be first person, I knew I had to give RE8 a try and it did not disappoint.

The gmaeplay is mostly the same as 7 and I think both have their pros and cons. The lycon are much more fun enemies to deal with and the variety was a lot more interesting than the molded of 7. I personally liked the mansion of 7 more than the village but 7 had the weak area of the oil tanker and 8 didn't have any weak areas. The story is pretty much standard Resident Evil stuff. Overall, it's a great addition to Resident Evil. If you liked 7, you'll like 8. I would probably prefer 7 over 8 all things considered but you can't go wrong playing either one.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Escape from Tarkov

Half the time 0/10 The other half 10/10

Have not found a more frustrating and additive, fun and toxic, playable and unplayable game in my life.

When its on it is REALLY on. There is always tension and you never truly feel safe (with the overblown amount of hackers you probably aren't :))

Honestly, this is just gambling with guns.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
CS:GO, 9/10. I still playing it, it's one of my favs. I try to follow cs go premier tournaments at https://tips.gg/csgo/tournaments to improve my skills. Also it gives full access to the esports database with upcoming matches and teams analysis with ranking. Hope one day I'll will take part in premier tournament too. Btw here is promocode 89D850 for new players, it gives 500 poins.

What's up with all of your posts being advertisements? You did the same crap with Overwatch boosting. Lame.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I honestly can't give this game more than 7.5/10.

The story is a solid 9/10. It's a Rockstar experience, so you don't have many meaningful choices or dialogues. You basically follow Arthur as you would in an interactive movie.

But, the story can't compensate for the gameplay, where the game is a 5 or maybe a 6/10 at best. It's just not that fun to play. There's no real challenge. The shooting is ok. There are some incredibly tedious aspects in the game that just makes some features a chore. Like, looting is just infuriating. Same for skinning or cooking meat. It's just completely unnecessary to have to watch the same goddamn slow animation every single time. Ive read some people call it immersive. The argument just doesn't hold up as there are so many immersion killing aspects. It's just bad game design, making the game artificially longer than it actually is.

The ratio of time played doing something meaningful vs total time played has to be amongst the lowest I've ever seen.

I also have to mention I've had numerous bugs and visual glitches on PC, with an RTX3070.

I would definitely recommend to casual and lower skill gamers (I don't mean this as an insult, I know a lot of gamers that just don't enjoy "difficult" games).

But for anyone else, I'd say wait for a significant sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section337
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad