The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
0VFeSd9.jpg

Concrete Genie (PS4, 2019)

Concrete Genie is a third person painting-platformer game where you play as Ash, a young boy with a big paintbrush and an annoying haircut. Ash carries a sketchbook with him in which he draws things to distract from the town he lives in, Denska, after it was largely abandoned when an oil tanker crashed nearby. One day one of Ash's sketches, a shapeless blob with a face he named Luna, comes to life and appears on a wall. At the same time the local gang of bullies turns up, steals the sketchbook and tears it up, scattering the pages around the town. What follows is Ash's quest to retrieve all the pages, save the town from the Darkness that covers all the walls, and make friends with the bullies.

The game's quite simple. Denska is largely abandoned and covered in Darkness, a black/purple coating on building walls which looks largely like mould to me. To brighten the place up Ash goes around and paints the walls with the various designs in his sketchbook. Occasionally he has to paint a Genie in order to get past certain obstacles. Some genies can set objects on fire, some can blow objects out of the way, that sort of thing. The genies can be customised in the same way as the scenes Ash paints, with a range of nature details - plants, trees, the sun, etc. The default means of controlling the painting is through the DS4's motion controls. This is bad and can thankfully be swapped for the right stick. The designs you can create are pretty limited, but the genies usually show up in different locations and ask for certain things, so there's some variety.

I called the game a platformer earlier which is probably generous. There are some occasions where you have to jump to a ledge, or climb up some things. The platforming is a complete rip-off of Uncharted. I realise that platforming in games exists outside of Uncharted, but here it is an exact copy. The movement animations are the same. The feel of the movement is the same. The daubs of white paint on everything you can climb is the same. Ledges breaking and looking like they're going to fall off when Ash touches them happen in exactly the same way. It's uncanny. It's so identical even that it's just funny rather than noticeably unoriginal. There isn't any consequence to these sections or anything, they just sort of happen every now and then. But the inspiration for them is obvious.

The story isn't up to much. Some bullies follow Ash around and bully him. Eventually they all touch his magic paintbrush and he sees why they're bullies - parents split up, parents in jail, parents gone, that sort of thing. When he saves all of them from the Darkness they all end up the best of friends. Fine. My biggest problem with Concrete Genie is the sense that the whole thing feels like it's trying to be nicer than it actually is. The art style is reasonably interesting in a pseudo hand-drawn way.. The Genies are reminiscent of LittleBigPlanet, largely shapeless blobs which the player gives a personality to themselves. The apparently touching story of children putting aside their differences ties in with this too, but it just doesn't amount to anything meaningful. It feels like a game which actively set out to be described as "charming," but that rarely works in something this short or obvious.

After finishing this game I realised the developers previously made a game I really enjoyed called Entwined. I'm going to play that again and remember everything about it I enjoyed so much. Pretty much none of that is found here, with Concrete Genie being short, reasonably pretty, pretty uninteresting and pretty forgettable.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Finished BoTW a week ago, before starting Dark Souls 3.

I'm going with something between a 9.5-10/10. It's just a brilliant game. The combat is interesting, varied, with a number of ways to pass any situation. Once you master the mechanics you become an unstoppable killing machine though. I think a lot of people will like the difficult, but I found the game way too easy. I was killing lynels with 3 hearts and destroying guardians with a lot lid. Only got to 13 hearts due to wanting the master sword to beat Gannon. That said, you're supposed to be a legendary hero and what's great with this game is you become one by mastering the game, not just through gear. The gear is just a complement to the base you build up.

Aside from that, the exploration was at another level. The physics as well. Hell, everything was made with a fantastic amount of care. The story may be lacking for some, but personally I love games like these that are told through environments and your own adventures.

Nintendo really hit the ball out of the park, I thought I was back playing a link to the past.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Cyberpunk 2077 - 6.5/10

Played the PS4 version on a PS5

After all the hype the game was fairly disappointing, the story was pretty good, though it seemed like most dialogue choices were pretty meaningless. I feel like they just tried to jam too much crap in, you would start a mission and on the way to whatever you were doing, you would get multiple calls or messages for new side missions, cars that can be bought, and for every block you traveled there was a crime you could help the police with. I completed the main story and some of the side stuff, the game was ok but just did not pull me in the way the Witcher did, maybe it isn't fair to compare the two but CDPR hyped this one up like it was the 2nd coming so it's hard not to compare them. The game was somewhat buggy, though the bigger issue for me was crashes, I finished the game in about 31 hrs in 10-12 sittings, and it probably crashed 7-8 times

Maybe patches will fix the stabilities but even then the game to me is just so-so or ok at best. Not quite a Fallout 76 disappointment level but probably top 5 gaming disappointment for me

Yup it was pretty bad imo. I wish they would of just concentrated their efforts on a Witcher 4 or some sort of spin off with Ciri. It would of made much more sense as they had the foundation laid and the critically acclaimed success of the Witcher to back it. I understand the need to make something different and to branch out but.......

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Hitman 3 - 9/10

Probably my favorite of the three newest Hitman games, great maps and missions for this one, and lots of variety on how you can complete your hits
Only have the final mission left but this is what I’d rate it too. It’s awesome. Excited to see what they do with the 007 license.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Dark Souls 3.

9.5/10.

Brilliant, brilliant game. Loved the mechanics, the lore, the art. The combat was some of the best I've ever played. This was my first Soulsborne and I'm fully hooked. It's been hard going to another game and noticing the significant dip in gameplay quality.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Dark Souls 3.

9.5/10.

Brilliant, brilliant game. Loved the mechanics, the lore, the art. The combat was some of the best I've ever played. This was my first Soulsborne and I'm fully hooked. It's been hard going to another game and noticing the significant dip in gameplay quality.

Yup.

Glad you liked it, They are all really good games. For all the hate DS2 gets from fans, I think that was the one I played the most...

Reactions: Andrei79

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch-hero.jpg

9.9/10

I put in almost 93 hours and beat the game in normal mode. By the time I decided to face Calamity Ganon, I had a fresh Hylian shield, fully upgraded Master Sword, something like 21 hearts, two full stamina circles, upgraded specials (Ravioli's gale, Rock guy's shield, Shark girl's revive, and Electric girl's shock,) along with an almost fully upgraded ancient armor set, ancient bow and a bunch of ancient arrows. I also collected all of Zelda's memories, the motorcycle, Zelda's horse, Ganon's horse, the ancient horse armor, along with all of the monster masks and monster armor set.

I also had a 30-minute high level attack buff, and became very good at shield parrying laser beams, so the final boss battle lasted a very short time.

The pre-credit ending was a little disappointing, but the post-credit ending fixed that (along with setting up the plot for BOTW 2)

The only thing I wish you could do would be to continue to explore Hyrule after defeating Calamity Ganon, but the post-credit scene makes it clear that Ganon's story hasn't ended and Zelda and Link are investigating something at the end of the post-credit scene, so it makes sense why the option to explore a post-Calamity Ganon Hyrule isn't there.

All in all, this game made me re-live my childhood playing Ocarina of Time and I'm looking forward to BOTW 2

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
SlCMx0g.jpg

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4, 2016)

Since I finished Modern Warfare Remastered I've struggled with how to put together a write-up of it. In the end I've realised that I really want to cover two things - the game itself, and the differences between it and the original. I'll cover them in that order.

Originally released in 2007, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare follows two separate stories and sets of characters. On the one hand you are Soap MacTavish, new recruit in the SAS. You're paired up with Captain Price, Captain Price's moustache, Captain Price's hat, Captain Price's cigars, a man named Gaz who carries a shotgun, and a few other men with intimidating accents. On the other hand you are Sergeant Paul Jackson, a US Marine who is part of an invading army in an unspecified Middle Eastern country when the president is executed on live television and an armed coup takes place.

Modern Warfare is a good game. It's old enough that its release meant something new in the FPS genre, with a focus on modern technology and politics that was fairly basic in its plot structure but still felt plausible as a result. The game is set in 2019 which makes me feel really, really old, but even playing it now, the content doesn't feel dated. I'm sure some of the weapons and technology have moved on but it doesn't feel like an anachronism, and I think that's down to the heavy sense of realism and overall tone of the game.

The dual storylines play an important role in keeping the player engaged. To start off you play a few missions as SAS, then as the Marines. The switch from sneaking around in the dark with silenced weapons and excessive close-up violence to yelling OO-RAH!, blowing up everything in sight while an electric guitar riff plays in the background is certainly noticeable. Even though the two campaigns don't last until the end of the game I know I would get bored of the Americans even if I was able to keep telling myself that they're not supposed to be taken at face value. The SAS campaign suffers slightly from this format though as it's hard to ever really quantify where they are or what they're doing. Even after all the times I've played this I can never quite follow how or why they go where they go. It feels as if the characters know more about what's going on than the player, and the disconnect is just enough to keep me from being completely engaged.

Since I was 11 when the Iraq War happened, I don't really know much about it. I'm sure I can remember watching footage on the news of when it started. I just remember a bunch of explosions somewhere during the night, with no idea what it meant or where it was. However, it's fairly obvious to see the comparisons between that era of international geopolitics and Modern Warfare's story. An American army going into a country in the Middle East to take down a violent and oppressive dictator with the looming threat of Russian involvement, and ongoing uncertainty over the existence of nuclear weapons there? A constant state of uncertainty and confusion based on faulty military intelligence? Yeah. If that wasn't enough there's a section where you're manning a mounted grenade launcher in a helicopter and you can shoot a big statue of a guy in a town square. No idea where the inspiration for that could have come from.

While Modern Warfare's campaign doesn't compare to the gold standard of modern military shooters - Spec Ops: The Line - there's a definite maturity and levity to this game which has stood the test of time, even allowing for the strange and horrible places the Call of Duty series went since its release. There are notable setpieces which reinforce this - I'm sure long enough has passed to avoid worrying about spoilers, but the end of the Marine campaign is as haunting now as ever - but playing the rest of the game right now the whole thing feels solid and coherent enough that although the protagonists are silent, I still have a sense of empathy for what they're experiencing. Having gone back and compared with the original I think this is partly down to the remake, but I'll come to that shortly.

In fact, I'll come to it right now. Although it's called Remastered this is effectively a Remake going by the other rereleased games with these titles. The sounds and dialogue are the same and all the content's the same, but effectively every physical asset has been remade. The result is genuinely strange. I've played remasters that were just ports of the original games with a bit of a graphical sheen. They still feel familiar. This doesn't. This feels like something familiar but still something new, and I was never really able to reconcile these two feelings. I'm doing things I recognise and I'm hearing things I recognise, but what I'm seeing is just a little bit off. This isn't a criticism of the game or to say it's bad, it isn't, but it was genuinely difficult at times to get used to what I was seeing.

From a technical perspective, the game has high points and low points. The sound in particular is an achievement, with a much greater depth and ferocity which makes gunfights and explosions feel much more real. As I was playing I could swear there was something different from what I remembered of the original, and when I checked, there was. In the American missions there was more background music. In MWR, there wasn't. It was just the sound of the fighting. If this was a deliberate choice then it was a good one, the result was an overwhelming sense of chaos which is probably a lot closer to what these situations would be like in real life. A good choice. After comparing with the original, the changes in this regard are a definite improvement. The shooting feels more impactful, and the overall sense of chaos in firefights is almost overwhelming at times, which it should be.

Elsewhere, the game wasn't perfect technically. One moment in particular from near the end of the game stands out. I'm looking for a man in my squad who's been separated from us. I step out of the first building and try to go into the next, but can't. I know it's where I should be going because I remember that and because there's only one other building to try, but there's something off. Confused but still feeling like I know where I should be going I try a different location to the right, nothing. I go back to the original building and all of a sudden a door opens to the right, a bunch of guys and a bunch of dogs all spawn at once. The game had a couple of moments like this where some enemies were in the wrong place or weren't quite reacting the way they should. This is why I speculated that the lack of background music might have been a choice. It felt like it might not have been deliberate. I'm surprised that for the amount of work that clearly went into this game, and for the size of the installation it takes (70GB+) that some technical issues exist, but there's nothing overly game-breaking.

One area where the game is faithful to history is the enemy AI. I remember when Modern Warfare 2 was being developed. A lot of fuss was made about how you wouldn't have to fight past invisible checkpoints anymore! There wasn't a finite supply of enemies waiting for you to do something! Well, a lot of years have passed since then and Modern Warfare Remastered's release, you might want to have paid attention. This is about the only thing that makes the game feel dated. Pretty much every aspect of the enemy AI is terrible but the never-ending supply of them is almost laughable in how dated it is. I also found some trouble with the weapons. Even on lower difficulties the enemies were bullet sponges, and grenades did virtually no damage at all. These problems weren't enough to spoil the experience, but if I'd tried playing on Veteran difficulty I don't think I would have enjoyed it.

Some other aspects are different. The intro movie is missing. Is it really Call of Duty 4 if it doesn't start with a man saying "fifty thousand people used to live here... now it's a ghost town"? The multiplayer obviously would never be like the original, but oh boy, the horror when I first went into the menu. Immediately I'm hit with random pointless cosmetic items and the encouragement to get more. Nope.

Call of Duty 4 is one of my all-time favourite games. It's the first game I played online regularly. It's probably the first FPS I played when old enough to properly appreciate what was going on. It was actually one of the games I got with my PS3 (Grand Theft Auto IV and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue the others) and it's a testament to how good it is that I can play it now and still appreciate the game on a technical and narrative level. Captain Price, Soap and Gaz will always be among my favourite gaming characters, no matter what else I play or how ridiculous they are. Modern Warfare Remastered is a good game in its own right and a worthy improvement on the original in several ways. Given where the Call of Duty franchise went after that original release in 2007, it's easy to forget the games once felt special. This reminds you.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
30XX - 8/10

30XX is the sequel to 20XX, both are roguelite platformers to the style of Mega Man. It's early access and only has 6 levels at the moment. Not much else feels different from 20XX aside from some progress that can carry over across runs, a different aesthetic, and new levels/bosses. I got plenty of enjoyment out of 20XX and got a lot of out 30XX so far as well. If you're looking for more content, give this a go. If you haven't played 20XX and are interested in the idea, I'd probably just pick up 20XX until this one gets some more content.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally finished Outer Wilds. It was a little tough for me to get into and I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going, but I did. It got better as I started to figure things out.

For one, using your ship log is an absolutely necessity. At first, I was just flying around the planets and exploring and while it's nice that it doesn't prevent you from doing that, if you don't have a reason for being in a location and haven't learned or can't recall certain information that you read somewhere, you likely won't know what you're supposed to do there. The ship log contains every important piece of information that you've learned, including tips on where to go next. It helps immensely, but the game can also be immensely frustrating. Make one wrong step and you might die and take 10 minutes to get back to where you were. The planet Brittle Hollow is the worst for this, since it takes a while to get to and around its huge underground area and there's a black hole at its core, so you'd better not fall.

Also, there are times when you just have to stand around for several minutes, if not more, waiting for natural phenomena to occur. That's actually kind of cool, but just twiddling your thumbs is also a little boring.

I think that what I enjoyed most and why I kept with the game is that it's just a lot of fun to fly around the solar system, land on planets and jetpack around. That's pretty addictive. Even after what I'd guess was 30 hours of gameplay, those parts were still a lot of fun. Also, the gameplay is just so unique and ingenious.

Overall, my feelings are mixed. It can be frustrating and tedious, but it's also addictive and like no other game.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
XIII - 4/10

XIII has aged rather poorly. The artstyle is great and still holds up with an interesting story and fun soundtrack but that's about where it ends. In 2021, it's not a good game anymore. I can get over the linear level design as I've been playing games from that era and I'm used to it. There are two major problems with this regarding why it has aged poorly:

1 - The obvious technical problems, you have to download a fan patch for wide screen support, you can't even play it over 1080p even with the fan patch. The checkpoints are practically non-existent and if you die late in certain levels after boring stealth sections, you'll have to just start it over entirely. Fortunately no level is incredibly long. I think the longest level only took about 15 minutes.

2 - The gameplay just isn't that good. The gunplay is atrocious. Where your bullets go feel like complete RNG. Fortunately the AI's aim sucks so the best strategy is to just run towards an enemy while strafing back and forth a bit and just blast them in the face point blank. Even that being said, you feel really floaty. There are some minor platforming sections that feel really frustrating with how floaty you feel. There are plenty of first person shooters from that era that have great control where I could confidently move wherever I'd like. This game I had trouble even going down ladders...

I know people hate the remake and I haven't played it. But this one certainly isn't worth playing by today's standards anymore either. If you're really interested, you're probably better off just watching a playthrough or even just a video of all the cutscenes unless you loved this game and really want a nostalgia trip. Even then, it might make you hate the game with how badly it aged.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I had never played XIII and was mildly interested in the remake. Then I heard what they did with the remake. Oof.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Spider Man: Miles Morales - Man oh man what a great story. This universe (the first game, this one, and the teased third) is so fun to play around in. Such a great comic story and activities. 9/10

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Watch Dogs Legion - 8/10

I’ll admit I’m a sucker for the WD games. I liked the first one a lot, and loved 2. I really enjoyed this one but not on the level of 2. The idea of building a team with different skillsets was great, even if they didn’t full realize it, and I played with perma-death on to make myself be smarter. Not sure I’ll do much with the online mode but I enjoyed the story overall. Probably the last WD game, which makes me sad (and I’m probably the only person who will say that).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Watch Dogs Legion - 8/10

I’ll admit I’m a sucker for the WD games. I liked the first one a lot, and loved 2. I really enjoyed this one but not on the level of 2. The idea of building a team with different skillsets was great, even if they didn’t full realize it, and I played with perma-death on to make myself be smarter. Not sure I’ll do much with the online mode but I enjoyed the story overall. Probably the last WD game, which makes me sad (and I’m probably the only person who will say that).

I really liked WD 2, and that's after barely playing more than a few hours of the original.

I think San Francisco might have been one of the best open world cities I've ever seen produced.

The characters were likeable and the variety of architecture and activities was enjoyable

I actually never finished it as the gameplay became much less forgiving near the end and the fun aspect just became more frustrating in terms of setting off alarms and alerting guards.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Spider Man: Miles Morales - Man oh man what a great story. This universe (the first game, this one, and the teased third) is so fun to play around in. Such a great comic story and activities. 9/10

I just finished it myself, this is a great assessment of the game, my only complaint would be I wish it was a little longer

9/10 from me as well

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I just finished it myself, this is a great assessment of the game, my only complaint would be I wish it was a little longer

9/10 from me as well

Same and not having Screwball was a welcome relief. That was the most annoying thing about Spider-Man. Hated her.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Watch Dogs Legion - 8/10

Nah. You are not the only one. I really like the Watch Dogs games as well.

I think my likes are in the same order Watchdogs 2 > Legion > 1. I would have finished Legion but I ran into a bug (on my PC) and lost the ability to proceed in the story line due to some corrupted saves online. I got my PS5 recently so started playing the game on that and am finally catching up to where it got corrupted. Not so much fun replaying the story line but just took different approaches this time during the missions to keep it as fresh as possible.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Hitman 3 - 9.5/10

Wow. Never played a Hitman game before this, and bought it because it came during a quiet time in new releases. Fantastic game, and looked great on the Series X. Every level is very replayable. My only complaint was it being kind of short. Other than that, loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad