Post-Game Talk: The Kings are dead, Long live the Kings. Penguins - 4, Kings - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
re: sideways. i read the merlot jab came from a funder of the film backing whose fortune was derived from merlot production.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Indeed.

I get being a little fed up with certain topics. But if people feel they are in the wrong forum... there are plenty of other outlets. Skipping over meany-head posts isn't hard, the ignore button is over there (though I never use it) and Facebook is that-a-way. I hear the Penguins subreddit is nice and safe, too. And plenty vacuous.

Which... I'm not sure is a just coincidence...

About the only thing the /r/Hockey has going for it is trash talk Friday :laugh: Except for a handful of subs, ****** in general has devolved into an extension of Tumblr.

EDIT: That's censored? Really?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Indeed.

I get being a little fed up with certain topics. But if people feel they are in the wrong forum... there are plenty of other outlets. Skipping over meany-head posts isn't hard, the ignore button is over there (though I never use it) and Facebook is that-a-way. I hear the Penguins subreddit is nice and safe, too. And plenty vacuous.

Which... I'm not sure is a just coincidence...

i don't know that anyone is in the wrong forum. what i was saying about a critical mass of posters that have an outlook that tilts overwhelming one way or another cuts both ways. in fact, i'd say by the slightest margin i think there are more people who are offended by posts that contain an overwhelmingly positive outlook than there are people who are offended by posts that contain an overwhelming negative outlook. with that in mind, i'd caution against using the rhetoric of if-the-"realtalk"-in-this-forum-is-to-sobering-for-you-then-go-elsewhere.

i think the vast majority of posters would agree that this is 1) a flawed team and 2) they have a chance to compete for the cup. the rub is how flawed are they and as an extension what are their chances? maybe i have a low threshold when it comes to what constitutes harmony, but i'd say this board is far less disharmonious than others that are a part of this website.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
The irony is that it detracts even more from the conversation. Instead of offering a counter point, it's some snarky comment or jab or complaint about negativity.

Yes - the tried and true response on message boards all over the land by posters who want to piss in everyone else's Wheaties....

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
i don't know that anyone is in the wrong forum. what i was saying about a critical mass of posters that have an outlook that tilts overwhelming one way or another cuts both ways. in fact, i'd say by the slightest margin i think there are more people who are offended by posts that contain an overwhelmingly positive outlook than there are people who are offended by posts that contain an overwhelming negative outlook. with that in mind, i'd caution against using the rhetoric of if-the-"realtalk"-in-this-forum-is-to-sobering-for-you-then-go-elsewhere.

i think the vast majority of posters would agree that this is 1) a flawed team and 2) they have a chance to compete for the cup. the rub is how flawed are they and as an extension what are their chances? maybe i have a low threshold when it comes to what constitutes harmony, but i'd say this board is far less disharmonious than others that are a part of this website.

Excellent points Crafton. And there are much worse forums in this site for sure!

I can't stand the flowery all-is-well-in-Pensland garbage that you find all over the web either. I come here because there is a strong core of regulars who know the game better than me, and that I can learn from.

It's amazing how much differently I see the game now than I did 5 years ago. Some of that comes from the wisdom of aging, some of it comes from reading this Board.

It's the constant snarky complaints and player assassinations that get to me now and then. It's overboard, and uncalled for IMO.

I mean, a lot of you sound like the Pitt football crazies on PantherLair. But they have none of the success we take for granted with the Pens.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Are people really speculating that this is a precursor to Letang being dealt? 'Cause the only other possibility that doesn't involve him being ill is it's just a benching. But that can't be the case since Bylsma doesn't bench veterans.

I didn't read it as a precursor to Letang being traded or him being benched. I just didn't want him to pass on an illness to everyone else, but I guess it really doesn't matter because once symptomatic the horse has already left the barn on that one.

The team played well last night and it was an entertaining game. They stood up to a physical team, the PP was clicking, and Glass scored a sweet goal which was nice to see as he has been playing like a man possessed for the past several games. No complaints here.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think it was one of their best games this season, and best in a while. People are going to suggest the Kings can't score, so it was largely an easy night. Make no mistake, the Kings have scoring issues but they're still a top contender in the Western Conference, and a very tough out.

I don't think there's any question the newcomers have breathed new life into this team. From Zatkoff, to Maatta, to Bortuzzo, to Gibbons and Megna, they bring energy that was previously missing. They bring the opposite of what the all-in veterans brought last spring, which was mostly a logjam on the roster and general unhappiness.

I think we could do even better with more youth, namely adding Despres and Bennett from last night's lineup. Sill would be great, too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think it was one of their best games this season, and best in a while. People are going to suggest the Kings can't score, so it was largely an easy night. Make no mistake, the Kings have scoring issues but they're still a top contender in the Western Conference, and a very tough out.

I can't fathom how a roster like the Kings have, has trouble scoring.

I don't think there's any question the newcomers have breathed new life into this team. From Zatkoff, to Maatta, to Bortuzzo, to Gibbons and Megna, they bring energy that was previously missing. They bring the opposite of what the all-in veterans brought last spring, which was mostly a logjam on the roster and general unhappiness.

I think we could do even better with more youth, namely adding Despres and Bennett from last night's lineup. Sill would be great, too.

I'd like to see BB, Despres, Bort and Megna all playing as well, but there has to be the right mix of youth and experience.

There is no excuse for Megna and BB not to play, but I don't see any room for Bort or Despres in the top six right now. Blows, but that's how it is.

I also may be one of the lone people left who believes Orpik will be a huge asset in the playoffs, so I severely doubt he is moved to make room for those guys, even though long term I think it's the best move.

Bort will definitely see playoff minutes. Zero chance their back six stays healthy the whole time.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Too fomulaic in their approach to offense. They remind me of the Jacques Martin Senator teams of the mid-to-late 90s on the rush. Nobody driving to the net, nobody coming in late. Two guys parallel to each other, one guy high and both D at the icing line. Everybody's more concerned with being in good position for a possession change than generating a scoring chance. They let several potential 3 on 2s evaporate.

The odd time the center isn't high, they just funnel it to the middle for a safe tip, which isn't exactly a high percentage scoring play.

There's such a thing as too much structure and the Kings have it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, it has happened rather often with Darryl Sutter-coached teams. It happened in Chicago. It happened in San Jose. It happened in Calgary, and it's happening in LA.

The thing is, his teams generally find a way to snap out of their scoring funk...without losing the hard-edged competitiveness and structure that makes them click.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Too fomulaic in their approach to offense. They remind me of the Jacques Martin Senator teams of the mid-to-late 90s on the rush. Nobody driving to the net, nobody coming in late. Two guys parallel to each other, one guy high and both D at the icing line. Everybody's more concerned with being in good position for a possession change than generating a scoring chance. They let several potential 3 on 2s evaporate.

The odd time the center isn't high, they just funnel it to the middle for a safe tip, which isn't exactly a high percentage scoring play.

There's such a thing as too much structure and the Kings have it.

It is a Sutter coached team, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

They are in playoff mode all season, essentially, but it has to make for boring hockey (I watch more Canadian west coast games than US). However, it has paid off with a cup and deep run last season.

You have to give your stars some freedom during the regular season to play their game IMHO. It just seems like Crosby and more so, Malkin, don't have that playoff switch like Lemieux did. Lemieux used to have a chair at the redline he sat in until the play went the other way during the regular season, but once the playoffs started his attention to detail in his own end and puck mgmt was surreal.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

They are in playoff mode all season, essentially, but it has to make for boring hockey (I watch more Canadian west coast games than US). However, it has paid off with a cup and deep run last season.

You have to give your stars some freedom during the regular season to play their game IMHO. It just seems like Crosby and more so, Malkin, don't have that playoff switch like Lemieux did. Lemieux used to have a chair at the redline he sat in until the play went the other way during the regular season, but once the playoffs started his attention to detail in his own end and puck mgmt was surreal.

I think it has more to do with today's coaching than today's superstars. Today's coaches won't let superstars do what they used to do, which is a shame imo.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Playoff mode's a good way to put it, but more than that, they're in "defend a two-goal lead in the playoffs" mode even when they're down 4-1 in a regular season game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think it has more to do with today's coaching than today's superstars. Today's coaches won't let superstars do what they used to do, which is a shame imo.

I think Crosby and Malkin are given a lot of freedom. AO as well.

The game is more structured today, but it's rare coaches suffocate their stars IMHO. Hitch and Sutter do though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Playoff mode's a good way to put it, but more than that, they're in "defend a two-goal lead in the playoffs" even when they're down 4-1 in a regular season game.

I think they ended up with over 30 shots. They had 26 midway through the third. So it wasn't exactly Torts Awesome Rags rope a dope Omaha Stylee ****.

I thought they had a good push in parts of the last two periods but Zatkoff made some key saves.

Just a lot of talent and size there. Kings fans must be frustrated.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Kings are extremely frustrating to watch. There's a good amount of offensive skill on that roster, but the system is so defense-first that much of it is suffocated out and they are pretty brutal at coming back in games. They can sit on a lead better than anyone in the league, but you still have to score to do that.

I think they'll get out of this extreme offensive snap soon and secure a playoff spot, and once they're in the playoffs that kind of play works a lot better...but eventually they'll have to start scoring goals. Quick isn't himself this year, so that doesn't help. The team also plays a lot different when he's in net than when Jones is in there...Jones has seen maybe one quality scoring chance per game in the games I've seen him play (which is most of them). Quick has that Fleury consistency going this year...tons of great saves, lots of questionable goals.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
re: sideways. i read the merlot jab came from a funder of the film backing whose fortune was derived from merlot production.

Not sure if that's necessarily the reason or not. I believe in the book, his ex-wife's favorite wine was merlot, hence his general disdain for it -- I think his '61 cheval blanc is actually a type of merlot, though obviously, exceptions can be made in this case, and he I think he had it while still married.

Anyways, no problem with Letang sitting if not 100%, especially if it means we get some Bort Bort Bort. Dude had a solid game -- we need that physical element against the larger teams.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That and Merlot is basically the American Lager of red wines.

Still hilarious how public perception of Merlot seemed to change so drastically after that movie, and I wouldn't be surprised if my disdain for Merlot derives from it (the movie came out when I was 17). Pinot noir also just happens to be my favorite style, but that didn't become a thing until it had been about 6 or 7 years since I'd seen the movie.

There's more than a little Miles Raymond within me...which will make my proposed wine country tour with my Finnish friend all the more excellent.

I believe it when the Penguins say Letang was sick, with Bort as the #7 it shouldn't take much to withhold a guy from the line-up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Let's be honest, they thought his mother was going to be responsible for him and she thought the Pens were, and he got left in LA. He'll find some overpriced, horrible hair stylist and never leave.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

I'd like to see BB, Despres, Bort and Megna all playing as well, but there has to be the right mix of youth and experience.

There is no excuse for Megna and BB not to play, but I don't see any room for Bort or Despres in the top six right now. Blows, but that's how it is.

I also may be one of the lone people left who believes Orpik will be a huge asset in the playoffs, so I severely doubt he is moved to make room for those guys, even though long term I think it's the best move.

Bort will definitely see playoff minutes. Zero chance their back six stays healthy the whole time.

Ive been critical as anyone of him for this year, but I think he plays very well at times, meaning I think he may be simply dogging it through a meaningless regular season. That doesn't mean I think he needs to be resigned or that Borts wouldn't be a good replacement for him even right now, just that I don't see the skating and decision making abilities he had even a year ago showing right now with any consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad