Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Kids, The Vets, and the Powerplay

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Agenda pushing. He was arguably our most dangerous player, not that it says much.

:laugh:
your funny

im sure that one shift stands out really strong for you... like almost as if it happened multiple times... aside from that one shift he was absolute garbage.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Rolston should be fined for Power Play Entry Selection...

They need to outlaw that damn drop pass in the neutral zone crap.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
This is where the problem lies. The young guys were young and exciting. The guys that made it bad, Leino/Staff/McCormick/Vanek, were the vets that shouldn't even be on this team. Imagine having 2 other lines like the Grigs, Girgs and Flynn line.

Well we'll be able to fix SOME of that when Larssen is inevitably subbed into the lineup (Hopefully Friday, if Rolston is dedicated to accountability) and Foligno returns in the next week or so. Loved the hustle of the GGF line, and it finally paid off for them. I need to see some high end talent from Grigs at some point though. Not seeing it yet. Too much "Stafford" from him so far.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
On a certain level they were. But Buffalo was soft is other ways, such as Stafford and Ennis attempting to skate through 2-3 Redwings at a time, losing puck battles, dominated at the dot, errant passes, etc. I understand we're young and prone to error, but I sense an underlying apathy in our play. Have guys like Vanek and Stafford already mentally checked out?

There was a lot of stick waving reaching by some tonight and that always seems to be a sign that guys are not skating hard.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
G: Cal Peterson is apparently going to save this franchise.

In all seriousness Hodgson and Vanek are going to put up a lot of points against teams that aren't Detroit.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
G: Cal Peterson is apparently going to save this franchise.

In all seriousness Hodgson and Vanek are going to put up a lot of points against teams that aren't Detroit.

Lmao I laughed at that, such American bias on NBC.

Not Ullmark, not Hackett nor Enroth. NOPE, Cal Peterson folks.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I thought Grigorenko looked confident out there. Other than his one bungling of a PP play, he seemed in control of the puck and didn't overly defer to his linemates.

I didn't realize he had that quick of a release....when he shoots it, it gets on the goalie quick.

G:
Kid line
Risto looked solid outside for a few first period jitters
Pysyk looked silky smooth I thought

Meh:
Most everyone else. Outside of Stafford, I didn't think anyone looked BAD....no one just looked good either. Myers had good and bad moments.

Bad:
Stafford.....no backcheck at all on the Jesus Datsyuk goal. Just disinterested.

Ugly:
PP. Powerless play. Wow. Hey guys -- wanna like move some? I have never seen a more stagnant PP. They gave it to the defensemen and then watched them play bombardier.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
Agenda pushing. He was arguably our most dangerous player, not that it says much.

No No No..Dangerous?? Holy crap...keep trying to saucer a pass to a guy two feet from you.

Want my agenda...I'd move him tomorrow, he is nothing special at all.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
There was a lot of stick waving reaching by some tonight and that always seems to be a sign that guys are not skating hard.

Completely agree. Too much stick waving and drivebys on defense. I saw very little effort from the forwards on defense. Vanek was very guilty of this, along with many others.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
:laugh:
your funny

im sure that one shift stands out really strong for you... like almost as if it happened multiple times... aside from that one shift he was absolute garbage.

Right, except it was literally the only real pressure all game from any line.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'll skip all the situational BS

G-Weber, Tallinder, Girgs, Grigs, MILLER, Pysyk
B-Vanek, Leino, Hodgson's 2nd half performance(1st was great), Myers
Ugly-Stafford...Stafford

all in all I thought our defense man and goal tending looked solid...forwards were garbage on defense...other than flynn's backcheck idk if i can pick a single instance someone impressed me. Any semi-competent PP unit along with our D and goaltending tonight makes this an interesting game...

furthermore detroit is better and faster than us...hats off to them but what I god awful boring team to play against. Unless Dats is dangling that entire team is a snore-fest no physicality no fighting etc...at least when we lose to Boston or Toronto I leave feeling amused. This whole game felt like slow-mo to me.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Yes, Miller was good tonight. The deflection by Samuelsson was a thing of beauty by the Wings and leaving a guy like Dats free in the mid-slot is criminal defensive coverage.
For like the eighth time, Weber got hooked by Ericsson. Hard to step up to the guy cutting in with a stick horizontal to your midsection.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Umm...to get Foligno in a player needs to be removed for the 23 man roster.

Many thought the reason Girgensons made the team was because Foligno was out and expected that once Foligno was back that Girgensons would be sent down. However, after tonight, so far so good for Zemgus.

We can always send Larsson down, although I think he should be playing over McCormick in some games. It's a waste to have him sit in the press box.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Yes, Miller was good tonight. The deflection by Samuelsson was a thing of beauty by the Wings and leaving a guy like Dats free in the mid-slot is criminal defensive coverage.

Live action, I threw a pillow at the TV and shouted "Who the hell was that playing soft defense in front?!?!?!?!?!"

Upon replay, Myers took the body, knocked Samuelsson off balance and STILL he tipped the puck......everyone did everything right there.....was a beauty goal.

Weber wasn't allowed to step up on Dats.......but Stafford could have crashed from the top instead of gliding by

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hodgson kind of let him go and passed him off to the rest of the team. He didn't want any part of Dats.

Watching it, I thought Stafford flubbed the clear and then he and Hodgson both didn't take a man as though they each thought the other had Dats. I'd like to see more engagement there from either of them.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Vanek-Hodgson-Foligno
Ennis-Larrson-Ott
Girgs-Grigs-Flynn
Tropp-Porter-Kaleta

Is a group of forwards I could get behind and would have no problem watching some struggles because you know they will be working their butt off.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Right, except it was literally the only real pressure all game from any line.

Except it wasn't. They didn't have much offensive flow tonight, but the Kid Line did some good things in the Wings zone on more than just the Girgensons' goal. Heck, Vanek managed to crease the pipe on a night when he looked like he was catching up on his sleep. Ennis' one good shift didn't make up for the times repeatedly on the powerplay where he killed opportunity with a lack of execution. He had a bad night.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Live action, I threw a pillow at the TV and shouted "Who the hell was that playing soft defense in front?!?!?!?!?!"

Upon replay, Myers took the body, knocked Samuelsson off balance and STILL he tipped the puck......everyone did everything right there.....was a beauty goal.

Weber wasn't allowed to step up on Dats.......but Stafford could have crashed from the top instead of gliding by

He did that a lot tonight and that, combined with the penalties (the one he took and the one they gave to Tallinder but it was Stafford's stick making contact on the Wing to take him down) and the soft play on the wall leading to chances against outside of just that goal against. A lot of times, the effort is there and the feet are moving. Tonight, they weren't moving and neither did it seem were many synapses firing.

HockeyTerror

Oct 17, 2005
Rochester, NY
G: Hockey is back!
Miller
Pysyk
Tallinder
Kid line
They only lost by one to a superior team

B: The powerplay
The nerves in the first game were very evident, I hope they got that out of the way,
but I suspect Friday, being the home opener, will be much the same

U: It's a fact this is one of the youngest team in the league in the middle of a rebuild,
and by most accounts all summer on this very board people were waxing poetic
about suffering and low expectations and 2014 top draft picks and during and after
the very first game of the season the board is in full bag all over them mode. Are
we really talking about firing people one game in? Holy hell this board gets worse
every season. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad