The Kessel Trade (redux)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
So given that we’re all jubilant over Kapanen at the moment, let’s take a look at the trade that brung ‘im. Just to see where we stand.

As a preface, I’ve been a fan of Kapanen from day one based on what Shanahan said of him, and reading about Shanahan consulting with Kapanen’s father prior to the draft where he ultimately took Nylander (he also consulted with Michael prior to that selection).

I was also not a fan of the Kessel trade at the time because I felt we sold low. It was Kessel’s worst statistical year and we were bringing in Babcock who could’ve gotten Kessel to perform and likely secured us a better package.

So I’ll try and be impartial but that’s where I’m at personally as I start this review.

July 1, 2015
:pens
RW Phil Kessel (27), 6-years $6.8M AAV (after $1.2M retained by Toronto), UFA
RW Tyler Biggs (22), 1-year $1.1M AAV, RFA (technically no cap hit as he was waiver eligible)
LHD Tim Erixon (24), 2-years $0.6M AAV, UFA
PIT 2nd round pick 2016

:leafs
RW Kasperi Kapanen (18), 5-years* $0.894M AAV, RFA (*entry level contract)
LHD Scott Harrington (22), 1-year $0.896M AAV, RFA
Nick Spaling (26), 1-year $3.264M AAV, UFA
PIT 1st round pick 2016
NJD 3rd round pick 2016

The draft picks were converted as above.
Toronto would go on to trade the Pens 1st along with SJS’s 2nd 2017 (Maxime Comtois) for Frederik Andersen.

The Leafs selected James Greenway with the NJD’s 3rd round pick. Here’s a write-up from August 2017. It’s older but it’s a pretty complete analysis.

Pittsburgh selected Kasper Bjorkqvist with their 2nd round pick. Here’s a recent write-up about him. Seems like a good prospect.

So the jury is still out on the draft picks, and we don’t need to care much about Sam Steel, the Ducks’ selection with the 1st, since the Kapanen trade proper was between Pittsburgh and the Leafs.

So, Harrington played a grand total of 15 games for the Leafs before being overtaken by other prospects. Injuries were a factor. He was traded along with future considerations in June 2016 for Kerby Rychel.
  • Rychel in turn was dealt to Montreal in February 2018 along with Rinat Valiev and the Leafs’ 2nd 2018 (Jacob Olofsson, centre) for Tomas Plekanec and Kyle Baun. Plekanec was mercurial and while he was a help in the playoffs especially during Kadri’s suspension, failed to help the Leafs past the Bruins. He re-signed with Montreal as a UFA before retiring this season. Kyle Baun was not re-signed by the Leafs and currently plays for Belfast in the UK.

Nick Spaling played only 35 games for us in 2015-16, before being packaged at the trade deadline with Roman Polak for Raffi Torres, SJS 2nd 2017 and SJS 2nd 2018 picks.
  • Torres is relatively meaningless. He never was meant to play for Toronto and didn’t. The 2017 2nd was used to complete the Andersen trade from the Ducks, while the 2018 2nd was used to select Sean Durzi. Durzi was injured early on this year but looks to be a significant prospect if he continues to improve on a tremendous D+1 season.
So, based on solid asset management, the Leafs turned Kessel, Polak, Erixon, Biggs, and a 2nd round pick into a $1.2M cap penalty, Kapanen, Andersen, Durzi, and Greenway.

Not a bad haul!

So what are everyone’s thoughts right now?

Would you do it again?

Does Pittsburgh winning back-to-back Stanley Cups (with Kessel almost winning the Conn Smythe in the 2nd year) make a difference in how you evaluate this deal?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Apparently Babcock didn't want Kessel, and said he wouldn't sign unless he was gone, and I personally don't think Kessel would have straightened out his act without the trade.

So, personally, I think it was a good trade for the Leafs, for Pittsburgh, and for Kessel.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
One of the few win-win blockbuster trades.

We needed to move on from Punxsutawney Phil (yes I looked up the spelling) to start the rebuild, no way we finish last and get the 1st overall with Phil in the lineup scoring his 25-30 goals.

Pittsburgh has won two Cups...nuff said.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Really good trade both ways. Kessel got two cups and is likely way happier in the non-Toronto market. On the other hand we got Kap who is turning into an amazing player and Freddie is going to be one of the cornerstones of this franchise for a long while!

Reactions: AreBe and canadon

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Before the trade I said that Phil was overpaid by $1.5M. This was confirmed to me when our Leafs retained almost that amount.

And yes, I know that the retention was likely needed for Pittsburgh to fit him under the cap.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I miss Phil's fat cookie eating face but I'm glad he has two cups under his belt. We don't have to hear smug Boston fans cheer thank you Kessel and we have a top team because of him. We traded Kessel as a start to a full rebuild and tank. The assets we got back were fine but with Kessel on the club along with Dion, we most likely never get to see Auston Matthews.

For years we've been haunted by poor luck and poor management decisions. Finally we've lucked into something good. I also absolutely love the fact that we walked into the Liljegren pick when the season prior I was legitimately willing to tank another year to scoop that kid.

We've hit on so many late picks too all because we have developed a top end development system with the Marlies with an elite set of coaches and optimal sports science team and conditioning team that is allowning even the average prospects to flourish.

Back on topic though. I miss Kessel. I wish he could be a part of this team when we hoist a cup since he literally carried this franchise on his back for 7 seasons and got nothing but shit tossed at him by the media. I hate the Penguins as much as anyone can but the only reason I was smiling when they won the cup was because of Kessel.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
As a trade on its own merit, it's tough to trade away proven and acquire unproven/less proven. Fast forward to now, and Kapanen is obviously emerging in a considerable way, the extra 1st made the Andersen trade possible, and it's much tougher to imagine the team having the best odds for drafting Matthews without this, and other moves.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Andersen alone was worth Kessel for a team in desperate need for a goalie. Kapanen is worth a 2nd and the 1.2M cap penalty. The prospects were a wash. Greenway is done. Durzi is showing well in his D+2 season but he is a 20 year old in the OHL.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Like others have said it was essentially Phil Kessel for Kapanen & Andersen.

Leafs came out very well.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
not really.

Umm actually yes. Leafs received Kapanen along with Pittsburgh 1st round pick, Toronto then used that 1st round pick to get Andersen.

Leafs ended up getting Kapanen and Andersen for moving Kessel, this is a known fact I am genuinely confused as to why you are arguing this.

Reactions: NiftyMits and AreBe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
not really.

Considering the Leafs basically walked away directly with Kapanen and Andersen, were able to attract Babcock and then steered right into the Auston Matthews tank, I'm not sure what you would have preferred.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Umm actually yes. Leafs received Kapanen along with Pittsburgh 1st round pick, Toronto then used that 1st round pick to get Andersen.

Leafs ended up getting Kapanen and Andersen for moving Kessel, this is a known fact I am genuinely confused as to why you are arguing this.

it was a 1st and a 2nd round picks for Andersen

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The retention is the only bad part. I would say both teams are pretty happy.

Toronto has deep pockets, so even if we went over the cap & incurred a financial penalty, then who really cares.

Plus we didn't have a good roster like we have today.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
But I was told Lou was hired because the Leafs got hosed on this trade.

Tbh I found the return underwhelming at one point but glad I was wrong.

People can be underwhelmed, but I can't buy the idea that we totally got hosed.

If we totally got hosed and traded Kessel for way less than he's worth, then why didn't another team step in and offer more? Every GM had the opportunity to "hose" the Leafs for an elite scorer, and decided not to. Couldn't have been that much of a fleecing then.

Reactions: Beaumaris

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Toronto has deep pockets, so even if we went over the cap & incurred a financial penalty, then who really cares.

Plus we didn't have a good roster like we have today.
I agree with your general point. I think however, if you're over the cap for every game, that game counts as an automatic forfeit and a loss. I may be wrong though. I thought the NBA was the only league where you can go over the cap and pay a penalty to get past it.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I agree with your general point. I think however, if you're over the cap for every game, that game counts as an automatic forfeit and a loss. I may be wrong though. I thought the NBA was the only league where you can go over the cap and pay a penalty to get past it.

Forfeit and a loss ?
What are you talking about ?

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
The fellow who mentioned that Babcock didn't want Kessel didn't quote a source and I hope he doesn't get into any board trouble for saying that.

But I will say this. I will not name my source, but I was told the exact same thing. . My story is slightly different. Kessel and Babcock according to my raven parchment, did have a quick interface, and lets just say, both parties sorta laughed and agreed that it would not be a good marriage.

So yeah, its worked out nicely for both teams. Kessel is an amazing player, but he is not a guy who likes being driven by coaches. Apparently. And his present coach and Babcock, like to drive .

So, its amazing Kessel has survived as well as he has, so far in the Burg. Great for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad