The Kent Johnson thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Funny.. thats who Will from Scouching compared Mctavish to, a Josh Anderson..

I liked him but I really want to see some creative playmakers instead of strong grinders. Watching the Canes since I live down here along with Tampa and Florida those guys can be physical but they’re much more than that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have read a couple of different comments now that Johnson may be a wing rather than a center in the NHL. Certainly continuing to play wing at Michigan does not help his development as a center.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was a bit concerned to hear that he will be playing wing again at Michigan. I have some doubt that playing more wing in college will help him become an NHL center. I mean, he is not good enough to be a center on his college team but is good enough at center to be a Top Six enter in the NHL? Warning lights flashing. It seems that Sillinger is far ahead of him in pro development. I hope Milano does not turn out to be most accurate comparison.

I have read a couple of different comments now that Johnson may be a wing rather than a center in the NHL. Certainly continuing to play wing at Michigan does not help his development as a center.

Me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I think Johnson would really benefit going back to Michigan again, maybe two more years, but certainly one. He needs to get bigger and work on his all around game. His skating also needs serious improvement as well. Needs lots of development on the finer things in his game, but the overall talent is massive.

I still see a lot of Sonny Milano in him. This is both a good thing and a bad thing
For sure going back for a year at least.

He reminds me of Pettersson, but Im not expecting to see a record breaking draft+1 year, so I bet we see him in the Jackets in the last few games of the 22-23 season.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It seems like he played primarily C when he was in the BCHL and led the whole league in scoring by almost 50%, and then played primarily on Beniers wing this past season. But that’s what I just gather from highlights. I believe that in Jarmos interview right before we drafted Ceulemans, he mentioned drafting two centers.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It seems like he played primarily C when he was in the BCHL and led the whole league in scoring by almost 50%, and then played primarily on Beniers wing this past season. But that’s what I just gather from highlights. I believe that in Jarmos interview right before we drafted Ceulemans, he mentioned drafting two centers.
From this article: Memorable day: Blue Jackets' flurry of big moves help cushion the blow of trading Seth Jones
Both players project as NHL centers. That’s not even a question with Sillinger, but many scouts have wondered about Johnson, who played mostly wing as a freshman at Michigan. Then again, he was on a line with Matty Beniers, who went No. 2 to Seattle.

“Oh, yeah, absolutely (he’s a center),” Kekalainen said. “Kent Johnson has always played center, except at Michigan. But he was also a freshman. We talked to him and he’s adamant: ‘I’m a center.’ We talked to a lot of people, including the coaching staff at Michigan. They see him as a center.

“He has all the abilities and all the ingredients of a good center in the NHL.”

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've been watching and reading a lot more about Johnson and his game since the pick. Originally, I called him "Sonny Milano pick 2.0" or something along those lines. I am going to back off of that somewhat.

While Johnson and Milano share a lot of traits in terms of creativity with the puck and dynamic moves, I think Johnson does it in a more "NHL worthy" way if that makes sense. Comparing Johnson's videos to Milano's as prospects sheds light on how much Milano truly relied upon beating multiple guys with his speed and skill rather than in a "team" based setting like Johnson does.

For instance one play Milano got the puck behind his own net and basically just skated by everyone and potted a backhand goal top shelf. Pretty exciting play, but something that would almost never work in the NHL unless you're Connor McDavid or something. He was a fast skater, even by NHL standards, but you're not going to blow by everyone like that.

Johnson on the other hand got it from behind his net, and shifted his way through the defense rather than skating by them all. He used his agility and puck skills to get where he wanted to get into the zone with speed. Passed it off to a teammate who score wide open on the back door. While also not exactly a likely play to happen in the NHL frequently, its still way more common than ways Milano did. This is just one example, but there are many other ones that show up when comparing the two as prospects.

So yeah, I'll back off of "Sonny Milano 2.0", but I still think Johnson is a boom/bust pick. However I do think he has a higher chance of booming than Milano ever did. I don't get the sense Johnson is a one man band like Milano was, but we'll see how things shape up as he goes back to Michigan. It sucks, I think Johnson would really benefit from an NHL training camp, but IIRC college players don't have that luxury. I look forward to seeing him. progress.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been watching and reading a lot more about Johnson and his game since the pick. Originally, I called him "Sonny Milano pick 2.0" or something along those lines. I am going to back off of that somewhat.

While Johnson and Milano share a lot of traits in terms of creativity with the puck and dynamic moves, I think Johnson does it in a more "NHL worthy" way if that makes sense. Comparing Johnson's videos to Milano's as prospects sheds light on how much Milano truly relied upon beating multiple guys with his speed and skill rather than in a "team" based setting like Johnson does.

For instance one play Milano got the puck behind his own net and basically just skated by everyone and potted a backhand goal top shelf. Pretty exciting play, but something that would almost never work in the NHL unless you're Connor McDavid or something. He was a fast skater, even by NHL standards, but you're not going to blow by everyone like that.

Johnson on the other hand got it from behind his net, and shifted his way through the defense rather than skating by them all. He used his agility and puck skills to get where he wanted to get into the zone with speed. Passed it off to a teammate who score wide open on the back door. While also not exactly a likely play to happen in the NHL frequently, its still way more common than ways Milano did. This is just one example, but there are many other ones that show up when comparing the two as prospects.

So yeah, I'll back off of "Sonny Milano 2.0", but I still think Johnson is a boom/bust pick. However I do think he has a higher chance of booming than Milano ever did. I don't get the sense Johnson is a one man band like Milano was, but we'll see how things shape up as he goes back to Michigan. It sucks, I think Johnson would really benefit from an NHL training camp, but IIRC college players don't have that luxury. I look forward to seeing him. progress.

Yeah Milano 2.0 is too far, but I still wouldn't call Kent a blue-chipper. He's a big swing.

Cole Sillinger on the other hand, I think that is a blue chipper. The first blue chipper we've had in a long time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah Milano 2.0 is too far, but I still wouldn't call Kent a blue-chipper. He's a big swing.

Cole Sillinger on the other hand, I think that is a blue chipper. The first blue chipper we've had in a long time.

I hope you are right. maybe he'll be this year's Barzal. If so, lots (9) of red faces around the league.

Milltec

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus

I have to agree with this assessment. My thoughts exactly leading up to the draft, but after watching quite a bit of film, he is much more high end on the "team skills" rather than solo show.

Reactions: pete goegan

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm kind of surprised Sillinger wasn't the consensus 10th skater or wasn't part of the "top 9". I have a feeling that if there was a full WHL season, he would have been. He had a higher PPG pace in the WHL in 19-20 than Guenther did. And he's a center. We absolutely got a gem with that pick. I'm stoked.

Sillinger strikes me as a 35G/35A kind of guy. I really think his floor is a 20G/20A player too.

Johnson is not Sonny Milano, IMO. I do find it interesting that people knock his skating, because you have to have good skating to play the kind of game he does. If his skating is actually a concern, then that is a potential issue, but I'm not convinced it actually is. He's also not short, which is what I found interesting, I assumed he was in the low half of the consensus 9 because he was small, so now I'm wondering why he wasn't closer to 5 OA. His vision and hockey sense are next level, and that's what we need. He's definitely a risk, but given where he'll be developing, I think he'll pan out. Needs to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and he'll be good to go. If he hits, I think he's a 20G/55A player. But his floor, unlike Sillinger, is AHL/KHL scorer.

Reactions: majormajor

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I just worry about projecting as a Center and playing wing in college. If we were projecting him as a wing I would have preferred Eklund. He is already proving the intangibles we seek - seam pass, distributor, great skater, good accurate shot (just don’t like his size).

Hey we have Johnson now so I am moving on - I hope he hits and works out as a Center.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't understand the knock on skating, for anyone, isn't it something that can be practiced and improved? Where as things like hockey sense and vision can't really be improved, what you got is what you got?

Reactions: Fro

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don't understand the knock on skating, for anyone, isn't it something that can be practiced and improved? Where as things like hockey sense and vision can't really be improved, what you got is what you got?
Johnson's skating is good, he can blow by defenders when he decides to go. He just needs some coaching to simplify his game, I would think development camp will be very beneficial for him, as they will give him specific things they want him to work on. And I have to agree, Johnson is absolutely a blue chipper. You dont draw comparisons to an Elias Petterson if you dont have elite potential. You have to remember, just like the NHL, college hockey had to deal with covid, which meant altered practice schedules, and everything that goes with that. Absolutely stoked for him and sillinger

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Johnson is certainly a blue chip prospect. More nonsense from Major Major.

I'm wondering if some of us have forgotten what "blue chip prospect" means. It is supposed to imply a guarantee of safety, zero bust risk in other words. Johnson doesn't offer that. Elite potential, but there's risk there.

Edit: "Blue chip prospect" does not just mean really good prospect. The name comes from blue chip stocks. A blue chip company wouldn't necessarily have the best stock growth but it would always perform reliably and give good returns.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Going down the rabbit hole on this player’s profile.

seems like his skating proficiency is subject to debate. technique wise he’s lacking. Some
scouts see a lack of top end burst and believe he’s overly dependent on East/west movement and beating undisciplined defenders with guile. Others believe he’s an above average skater with great edge work and will only improve with more strength. I see consensus on his average burst and average first step.

Physically, he’s a beanpole. Had a couple growth spurts that added height faster than weight could keep up. Professional strength and conditioning + diet will fix it.

His statistical performance at UM has been called into question. Disproportionate amount of his points were on secondary assists. He had two other 2021 top 10 picks on his team and there’s only one puck. So make of it what you will.

Some oddly selfish tape at UM where he would try to beat 3 defenders draped on him before turning the puck over. Often passing up wide open passes. On the bright side, he often made those three defenders slap at nothing but air with his great hands. This happened more often than you’d like.

Now for the positives:

1. NHL ready offensive skill set. Butter soft hands. Adequate shot power, great shot accuracy. Does things that most NHLers wouldn’t even try, and actually makes them work. Backhand shots, spinning shit. It’s one thing to have dangles but to have deception and every movement has intentionality is a whole other thing. That’s Johnson.

2. When he’s not being selfish, he actually sees the ice better than most including all current CBJ players. Anticipation is top notch. Unorthodox passing windows. Puts the puck on the money from multiple areas. This bodes well for the Center position projection. The game is definitely NOT too fast for him.

3. Not a sieve defensively which is all you can ask for at this point given his overall profile. Bad habits sometimes with inactivity and reaching instead of moving his feet. But also understands proper defensive positioning when he feels compelled to do so.

This guy has a lot of the things you can’t change once you reach his age. The vision, the hands, the creativity, the mentality. He just needs to add strength, iron out some selfish play, and improve his skating. Though it’s hard to imagine a player with his offensive skillset, comfort, and vision on the offensive end failing to become a useful/top 6 player.

if Beniers‘s top end projection is Toews, Johnson’s is Kane.

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Vision can be improved too, funny enough. You can literally teach kids to do head checks more often (i.e. look around).

And yes most prospects improve their skating somewhat. But that's not boundless, it also ends up being a limiting factor on what everyone can do as pros.

I agree with the general idea that we drafted someone who has more of what you can't teach.

Reactions: Viqsi

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Seeing a few quotes talking about how Kent Johnson is a real grinder and is always working on his game is encouraging. He's not the type of player he is by accident. His elite skill and confidence come from elite preparation and he doesn't seem to coast on God given talent. I think that bodes well for the physical transformation he'll need to make.

There's certainly risk with drafting him and the Sillinger pick makes me a lot more comfortable with the Johnson selection.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Dumb question, but does anyone know WHY he was made a center coming into U of M? If he came in having historically played center, why wouldn't a coach put him at that position?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm kind of surprised Sillinger wasn't the consensus 10th skater or wasn't part of the "top 9". I have a feeling that if there was a full WHL season, he would have been. He had a higher PPG pace in the WHL in 19-20 than Guenther did. And he's a center. We absolutely got a gem with that pick. I'm stoked.

Sillinger strikes me as a 35G/35A kind of guy. I really think his floor is a 20G/20A player too.

Johnson is not Sonny Milano, IMO. I do find it interesting that people knock his skating, because you have to have good skating to play the kind of game he does. If his skating is actually a concern, then that is a potential issue, but I'm not convinced it actually is. He's also not short, which is what I found interesting, I assumed he was in the low half of the consensus 9 because he was small, so now I'm wondering why he wasn't closer to 5 OA. His vision and hockey sense are next level, and that's what we need. He's definitely a risk, but given where he'll be developing, I think he'll pan out. Needs to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and he'll be good to go. If he hits, I think he's a 20G/55A player. But his floor, unlike Sillinger, is AHL/KHL scorer.
I can't remember which video I was watching, but someone here had posted it and it was Tambellini (I think it was) saying how his edge work and skating was elite if not already at an NHL level. However, having the strength and balance to utilize that in the NHL is an entirely different equation.

Reactions: Hello Johnny

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dumb question, but does anyone know WHY he was made a center coming into U of M? If he came in having historically played center, why wouldn't a coach put him at that position?

He was a center in the BCHL. That's several tiers lower than Big Ten in the NCAA. It can take players an adjustment period to make that jump. Dylan Holloway struggled in his first year at Wisconsin after making the jump from the AJHL (same tier as BCHL), and then took off in year two at Wisconsin. Ceulemans will have to make that same jump next year when he goes to Wisconsin.

Michigan actually did put KJ at center when Beniers was injured for several games, and the reviews were negative. I didn't see those games but they said he had trouble matching up physically in his own zone. That's unsurprising, Kent needs time to get stronger to be able to play center at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad