The Kent Johnson thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don’t think this is why. He isn’t physically ready to play big minutes in pro hockey.
There are a ton of skill guys who you could say that about, though. There are two boxes Kent doesn't check (strength, explosiveness) but there are a ton of other boxes that he does check that other guys here don't.

In other words, Kent's relative lack of strength isn't more prohibitive to on-ice success than, say, Boone Jenner's shortcomings as a playmaker or Jack Roslovic's complete lack of hockey IQ.

He’s also going to play way more games in a season than he ever has in his life.
This is a way bigger concern in my mind than the 'physically ready' stuff.

That said… if he hits a wall, he hits a wall. I don't think he's significantly more likely to burn out this season playing 16 minutes a night versus playing 12. It's the same intensity, same preparation, same recovery, etc. – and playing bigger minutes means more o-zone time.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
In other words, Kent's relative lack of strength isn't more prohibitive to on-ice success than, say, Boone Jenner's shortcomings as a playmaker or Jack Roslovic's complete lack of hockey IQ.
Agree but I’d counter that while it’s not prohibitive to on ice success, it could lead to quicker wear and tear or even a serious injury while Boone’s and Jack’s shortcomings don’t

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Agree but I’d counter that while it’s not prohibitive to on ice success, it could lead to quicker wear and tear or even a serious injury while Boone’s and Jack’s shortcomings don’t
Fair enough, but I'd point out that Kent's lack of strength isn't as much of a risk factor for serious injury as playing Boone Jenner for 20+ minutes a night at center coming off of a season-ending back injury.

Truth is, they don't have any great options at center right now. The best long-term bets are KJ and Sillinger, so at least one of those guys should be getting top six minutes.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Kent Johnson has been a bright spot this year. We haven’t seen him as much at center recently, which given the lack of centers, most likely points to the organization either A) sees him as a winger
B) sees he needs a lot of work before playing C

26 points in 50GP has him on pace to finish up around 40 points - which would be the 3rd most highest points by a rookie in CBJ history.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kent Johnson has been a bright spot this year. We haven’t seen him as much at center recently, which given the lack of centers, most likely points to the organization either A) sees him as a winger
B) sees he needs a lot of work before playing C

26 points in 50GP has him on pace to finish up around 40 points - which would be the 3rd most highest points by a rookie in CBJ history.

He's been excellent defensively and drives play in transition up the middle. That to me is a center.

I'm hoping the club is just being patient with the positioning. There's no particular hurry to put a D+2 player permanently at center.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He's been excellent defensively and drives play in transition up the middle. That to me is a center.

I'm hoping the club is just being patient with the positioning. There's no particular hurry to put a D+2 player permanently at center.
Which makes me wonder if he's doing all the right things, why are moving him to wing to shelter him but forcing Sillinger at center? Wouldn't putting him at wing theoretically allow him to work on things without all the extra responsibility of playing center?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Which makes me wonder if he's doing all the right things, why are moving him to wing to shelter him but forcing Sillinger at center? Wouldn't putting him at wing theoretically allow him to work on things without all the extra responsibility of playing center?
I think the reason is lack of strength. Of course it will be better the next season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Posted this in the Marchenko thread, but Johnson among rookies currently ranks...

-t-5th in goals with 11
-5th in points with 26
-4th in even strength goals with 9
-3rd in even strength points with 20
-4th in primary assists per 60 minutes at 5v5 (min TOI 250 minutes)
-5th in points per 60 minutes at 5v5 (min TOI 250 minutes)

All this despite averaging less than 14 minutes per game (Beniers plays 17 minutes/game, McTavish over 15 minutes, etc.).

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He’ll flash a few plays here and there to showcase his talent but he’s still clearly putting it together. I hope they send him to Cleveland to help their playoff run.

Reactions: CBJx614 and LJ7

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Has Kent Johnson improved this season?

You can tell by the above chart that as Johnson has moved up in the lineup his expected goals against has increased. He’s also seen more defensive zone starts recently. It takes a while for young players to make an impact defensively, and we all know that this team plays horrible defense as a whole, so the result here shouldn’t be shocking. If anything, KJ’s ability to keep the same scoring clip against better competition should be seen as a positive.

Another interesting tidbit: of Johnson’s 23 assists, only 7 of those are secondary assists. We know that KJ is a playmaker, but having a high percentage of primary assists at this stage in his career is a great sign. It also tell us that he’s driving play instead of relying on his linemates to generate offense.

There's always more to the story than what meets the eye. It's reasons like this as to why he likely hasn't been placed at center yet. He's slowly adjusting him to more responsibility and tougher matchups.

I'm guessing the switch to center happens this offseason unless we get Bedard and/or if Laine converts to a 1C after an off-season with Barkov... If that happens who knows...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Has Kent Johnson improved this season?

There's always more to the story than what meets the eye. It's reasons like this as to why he likely hasn't been placed at center yet. He's slowly adjusting him to more responsibility and tougher matchups.

I'm guessing the switch to center happens this offseason unless we get Bedard and/or if Laine converts to a 1C after an off-season with Barkov... If that happens who knows...

Great article. I'll add a couple points.

One is that I don't recall KJ having great possession stats at Michigan either. Perhaps @Cowumbus can correct me on this. KJ doesn't shoot for volume and tends to outperform the xGs by a good margin. In other words, he's too skilled for those underlying offensive stats to matter.

Defensively though I'm not surprised he's taken a dip. We shouldn't expect him to get better and better as the season goes on. Yeah he's learning game to game, but people greatly overrate learning from games compared to the physical toll it takes on a skinny young player. He'll improve more in the summer when he's in the gym and not playing much hockey. I expect him to be much better next Fall. Faster and stronger.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
One is that I don't recall KJ having great possession stats at Michigan either. Perhaps @Cowumbus can correct me on this. KJ doesn't shoot for volume and tends to outperform the xGs by a good margin. In other words, he's too skilled for those underlying offensive stats to matter.
No you’re right. Possession stats were fine, whereas transition ability was elite. He’d rather find a passing lane than shoot a low percentage shot - and I think that passing ability is seen through the shot assists /60 -> can you find that on Moneypuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad