The Kent Johnson thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What amazes me is the kid was 4’11” at 16 or so and grew that much. That can affect your skating, in fact your whole game but it didn’t bother his shooting or stickhandling. I have to figure his skating should also catch up.

4'11 at 16?

I was 4'11 in middle school before I shot up, and I was the shortest boy in every class. I can't imagine Kent was 4'11 at 16. Really?

Edit: Okay now I see he started his spurt by age 13, that's when I grew a foot in two years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think a Sillinger - Johnson - whomever line might be good in a couple of years if they both progress as expected. Sillinger can go to the greasy areas and shoot while Johnson can enter the zone and make plays. Maybe a bigger fast defensive guy like Robinson on a line with those two.

I'm betting on Sillinger being the center over Johnson. Johnson will still run the transition play in the neutral zone but Sillinger can take care of the draws and D-zone work. It could be like the Gaudreau-Monahan combo. I hope Sillinger is better than Monahan and I think that is within reach, while if KJ is anything like Gaudreau then we're lucky.

I could also see Robinson as a type to complement them, or maybe in a few years when they're here it will be Foudy who has taken a step with his hands. Or maybe Texier, he can be a rabid dog in the corners.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Depends upon how you define the term. He certainly was not BPA, Eklund or Guenther are better prospects. BUT, if we are looking for centers, as it seems we most definitely were. Then he was probably the best center on the board at No. 5. Probably the second best center left on the board was Sillinger and we took him too. So in terms of BPA, KJ is a reach. But in terms of available centers, he was the best choice with Sillinger being the second best choice.

EDM - I never saw a consensus on the top 10. Power was 1 - 5 but averaged 1.9. Johnson was generally 5-9. Yep I wanted Eklund or Clarke after MacTavish went 3, but we picked Kent Johnson. I hope he lights it up at every level, every game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No you wouldn't have. He was already picked, that door was closed. Johnson looks extremely talented, now it just depends on how hard the kid wants to work to be the best and win.

Doh! I know he was already picked. Obviously I was saying I think McT is a better prospect and had they both been available I would have picked McT.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Doh! I know he was already picked. Obviously I was saying I think McT is a better prospect and had they both been available I would have picked McT.
Nah Mctavish isn’t a better prospect .. he’s physically more developed than his comp .. in ohl and division 2 overseas he can score some goals , plays physical, he’s not a good distributor of the puck . Probably ends up #2 C in Anaheim.

Here is video from Will during draft .. Mctavish at 1hr 30 second mark… obviously Johnson a few moments later . Spoiler .. he loves the pick by Columbus .. Johnson to Chinakov :nod:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
So will Johnson make the team this year or will he return for another season at Michigan? Seems he needs to get into an NHL weight room pretty soon.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think Johnson would really benefit going back to Michigan again, maybe two more years, but certainly one. He needs to get bigger and work on his all around game. His skating also needs serious improvement as well. Needs lots of development on the finer things in his game, but the overall talent is massive.

I still see a lot of Sonny Milano in him. This is both a good thing and a bad thing

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe three, but certainly two.

Okay, mayyybe one, but I'd be mildly surprised if he's ready that quickly.

We'll see. We fast tracked Milano away from college to rush his development so I hope Jarmo and co learned from that. If Johnson blows up college and is the one driving the line, then maybe he can fast track himself into the league as a 19 year old. And maybe he'll require another year in college or the AHL. Either way, we can afford to be patient with him.

Reactions: LJ7201

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I had a big time draft crush on Eklund, but I’m warming up to Kent. Can’t argue against the high end potential.

I was in the same camp but we really need centers. I love Johnson’s creativity and vision and if he can add some muscle and a little weight, but not too much he’s going to be very good. As for McTavish he reminded me of a more talented Josh so he wasn’t my preference.

Reactions: Fro

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Athletic did a composite ranking based on about 20 sites. Johnson was #9 with a composite ranking of 8. So based on that he was a slight reach. The Montreal SB Nation site had him 7th based on 15 sources. He was 9th on McKenzie's list. All rankings indicated that after Power & Beniers it was dicey who was actual 3-9. So bottom line he wasn't a reach imo.

Bigger question to me is he really a center and will his flash & dash translate well in the NHL? Iirc he played a lot of wing at Michigan. If he stays there for 2 more years how will that affect his C potential? I don't know. I get he could be a Panarin type winger but for a team that needs centers I still think McT was a safer pick. (Last word on McT lest he becomes :deadhorse)

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
If he stays there for 2 more years how will that affect his C potential? I don't know. I get he could be a Panarin type winger but for a team that needs centers I still think McT was a safer pick. (Last word on McT lest he becomes :deadhorse)

what are you not understanding about the fact McTavish was not available when we picked? Whether he was the “safer” pick was completely irrelevant at that point.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I was a bit concerned to hear that he will be playing wing again at Michigan. I have some doubt that playing more wing in college will help him become an NHL center. I mean, he is not good enough to be a center on his college team but is good enough at center to be a Top Six enter in the NHL? Warning lights flashing. It seems that Sillinger is far ahead of him in pro development. I hope Milano does not turn out to be most accurate comparison.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I was a bit concerned to hear that he will be playing wing again at Michigan. I have some doubt that playing more wing in college will help him become an NHL center. I mean, he is not good enough to be a center on his college team but is good enough at center to be a Top Six enter in the NHL? Warning lights flashing. It seems that Sillinger is far ahead of him in pro development. I hope Milano does not turn out to be most accurate comparison.

I like him but I am really gun shy because of Sonny Milano. If he makes it as a center then the pick over Eklund is moot, but If he doesn’t we will hear comparisons between Eklund and Johnson.

I really liked Eklund especially since he played in a pro league and showed his gifts there. What I didn’t like was his size.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I may be mistaken, but wasn’t Milano’s reputation built mostly on videos of stick/puck tricks? Johnson’s skills appear to be more directed towards inventive shots and passes - less the showman and more the productive hockey player?

You are correct - thank you. I was looking back as the older scouting reports and they didn’t like the pick of Sonny Milano. Suffering from recency bias.

Reactions: pete goegan

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The Athletic did a composite ranking based on about 20 sites. Johnson was #9 with a composite ranking of 8. So based on that he was a slight reach. The Montreal SB Nation site had him 7th based on 15 sources. He was 9th on McKenzie's list. All rankings indicated that after Power & Beniers it was dicey who was actual 3-9. So bottom line he wasn't a reach imo.

Bigger question to me is he really a center and will his flash & dash translate well in the NHL? Iirc he played a lot of wing at Michigan. If he stays there for 2 more years how will that affect his C potential? I don't know. I get he could be a Panarin type winger but for a team that needs centers I still think McT was a safer pick. (Last word on McT lest he becomes :deadhorse)

That's the way it sounded to be. Pretty consensus 1-2 then the next 8 were kind of throw them in a hat.
I like the pick, maybe a slight reach but for our needs I liked it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
what are you not understanding about the fact McTavish was not available when we picked? Whether he was the “safer” pick was completely irrelevant at that point.

Don't insult my intelligence (or point out my obvious lack of). I already explained my comment in a similar exchange. I obviously know McT was picked before we drafted.. How about you look at my comment as between McT & Johnson, Anaheim made the safer pick imo.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I was in the same camp but we really need centers. I love Johnson’s creativity and vision and if he can add some muscle and a little weight, but not too much he’s going to be very good. As for McTavish he reminded me of a more talented Josh so he wasn’t my preference.
Funny.. thats who Will from Scouching compared Mctavish to, a Josh Anderson..

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I may be mistaken, but wasn’t Milano’s reputation built mostly on videos of stick/puck tricks? Johnson’s skills appear to be more directed towards inventive shots and passes - less the showman and more the productive hockey player?
Yes, Johnson is nothing like Milano, other than they both can pull off highlight type moves. Johnson has good feet, can get up to speed quickly, can control and skate with the puck like bread does, pulling the defense out of position for great passing lanes as well. Also, Johnson is not afraid to play in front of the net. He had multiple highly skilled tips on hard shots from the point . Not to mention he was a plus 16 this past season at Michigan . Hes still growing into his size...

prior to Michigan you can see the progress he made as he was growing into his frame...

2018-19
3.png
Trail Smoke Eaters
BCHL5720264624 |Playoffs1275124
2019-20
3.png
Trail Smoke Eaters “A”
BCHL52416010114 |Playoffs41672
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad