The Kent Johnson thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
It’s not going to happen, but I hope they let him try to play center.
Not gonna lie I've been thought about Robinson-Johnson-Bemstrom for a few days now. Would soften the landing for KJ with how those wings play.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
KJ was okay. He made some nice passes but the one play that stood out to me was when he did the “Crosby self-pass”. KJ picked up the puck behind the goal with a defender draped on his back, passed the puck off of the back of the net, spun away from the defender picking up his own pass, then sauced a pass to Blankenburg (I think) cutting in from the blue line. Didn’t result in a goal but he has subtle skill if you watch him.
I think I remember that shift, I only watched first two periods. I appreciate the subtlety in his decision making most of the time but would be even nicer to see it applied in situations when he fails to do something on the first try (pass, shot, deke) but gets another crack at it. On these type of plays he doesn't always seem to realize how much time and space there would be for him to go for another high skill play, instead he usually decides to put his head down and just play safe, which means throwing the puck on net or to the corners.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

KJ watch officially on

Shouldnt take too many days for this to be sorted out.

Going to be interesting to see whether it'll be PTO and AHL, or ELC and NHL. He probably isnt on NHL level quite yet, but I'm still hoping to see him in NHL tbh. For the powerplay creativity alone, if not anything else

Reactions: CBJx614

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Excited about Johnson’s signing. I won‘t be surprised to see him start on the wing, similar to Dubois, but I’m hoping next season the plan includes integrating him into the center position.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
So will the break KJ in on the wing or throw caution to the wind and just let him play center and learn from his mistakes?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

I think next season he'll settle in at the goal line spot on the first unit. He'll probably be right (or left with Chinakhov on the right) side on PP2 this spring though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So will the break KJ in on the wing or throw caution to the wind and just let him play center and learn from his mistakes?

I don't think he gets tried at center until he puts on some weight. Maybe in a couple years.

I'd maybe throw him right into center if he is in the AHL, but not in the NHL.

Reactions: Fred Glover

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think next season he'll settle in at the goal line spot on the first unit. He'll probably be right (or left with Chinakhov on the right) side on PP2 this spring though.

I could see it being the other way around - this season we have a vacancy at the goal line with Jenner injured. That and I love having a playmaker down there.

Reactions: HHel

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I could see it being the other way around - this season we have a vacancy at the goal line with Jenner injured. That and I love having a playmaker down there.
If they're willing to put him there already then I'd be thrilled. That's what I prefer.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Looking forward to Wednesday! I hope this was the best decision for his career and for the team in the long run. At least now he gets to 1) meet his new team, 2) experience NHL-level competition briefly before the season ends so he will have a better understanding of how to prepare for next year, and 3) work with the coaches and players who can guide him in his development process, e.g. with Voracek on the details of playmaking.

Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lines?

Johnson - Danforth - Bjorkstrand?

Bjorkstrand seems like an obvious fit as he gives him a sniper-retriever combo. Center is difficult. Johnson will need someone to compensate for his low speed and help on the forecheck, but also be able to make a pass. Danforth then?

Reactions: Xoggz22 and VT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad