The Kent Johnson thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It took me until today, post-WJC-game, to realize that Kent Johnson is, indeed, Canadian, and not a Michigan-born U.S. player. I feel smart. :D

A lot of folks were bashing on Johnson during the game, especially on the PP, but I don't think he was that bad. He still looked electric most of the time. Maybe some of the decisions could've been better and his shot was off, but overall still felt like a dangerous player and somebody we'd benefit having on the CJB PP. Johnson as the playdriver and one-timer threat for #2 PP sounds good to me (then again having Laine and Johnson on opposite sides and Werenski feeding them from the top, just wow at the thought...).

Also can't help but think that this will do good for Johnson's confidence coming into training camp (as long as it doesn't go overboard with him becoming cocky). I think he will make the team. I suppose we'll have to live through a lot of turnovers in the beginning as he finds his footing but I'm ok with that if he can keep his offensive zone groove at a similar level as in the WJC!

1. I'm not as enamored with KJ's one-timer, he isn't able to hammer it reliably.

2. I see the best place for him as down low where he can pass to the bumper and across the net mouth, or use his hands for tips, sharp angle goals, wrap arounds, and lacrosse goals. He isn't an ideal screener but I've said it before that Laine is better without a screen.

3. I don't like to make plans for the second unit, because ideally you never take Gaudreau and Laine off. Elite PP players should play the whole two minutes (or score).

4. Compositionally I'd like to see

---- L
R - R - L
----- R

So maybe in a year or two:

------------ KJ
Laine - Roslovic - Gaudreau
----------- Jiricek

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Near term we can't go wrong whether he plays center in Cleveland or wing in Columbus this season. I expect that he'll Sillinger his way on to the team though. Of the "bubble" group of forwards he is the best player right now and camp goes how I imagine it will then Larsen will be forced to slot him in over Marchenko, Bemstrom, Foudy and Chinakhov. I think he may be best served playing with Gaudreau or Voracek rather than be put on a line where he needs to do a ton of heavy lifting. He obviously has the mind and sense to play with those guys already. I can certainly envision him as the 4th best wing on the team behind 13, 29 and 93, and mayyybe pushing Jake for 3rd best. I know it was just the WJC but I think he played better than even McTavish in that tournament, and while given their playstyles and how world junior tournaments are played that should have been the case, it was the case. To me Johnson was the best player in the entire tournament.

Right now I kinda expect this to be our listed "top 6" in some combination:

Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Voracek-Sillinger-Johnson

Long term I really hope he figures out how to get up to like 190 lbs. I think he would skate faster and be overall more effective at that size. Think back to the play him and Voracek had against Tampa, Voracek had a guy stuck on his back and got the puck to Johnson. If Johnson had the size to add that sort of possession boosting detail to his game he'd be even better in the aggregate. Would open up even more playmaking and scoring opportunities for him.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine

Unless Sillinger has taken a crazy leap forward, I think for this coming season Roslovic would probably be a better option for 2nd line center. Depends on his overall play, but offensively he could be dynamite with Voracek & Johnson - again if Johnson is already up for it. Roslovic has a pretty good shot and lots of offensive skill, Johnson could be a secondary scoring threat and I'm pretty sure both Voracek and Johnson would be good at finding Roslovic.

Granted, it was a small sample size and Roslovic was blazing hot, but we got a glimpse of the potential he could have offensively last season when he was playing in the 1st line towards the end of season.

Reactions: Halberdier

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
So maybe in a year or two:

------------ KJ
Laine - Roslovic - Gaudreau
----------- Jiricek
Definitely not opposed to having KJ play down low, he's been effective there in college when put in that position and has some moves that the PK will have to account for.

Also not opposed to eventually having Jiricek up top. Not a fan of Werenski as a PP QB, personally. He's got a great wrist shot but doesn't play fast enough in that spot. If it's going to be a defenseman, I'd like to see Boqvist or eventually Mateychuk.

That said… Florida had a sick power play with five forwards. Part of that was that they could each move around and be unpredictable – CBJ would have less of that with Laine presumably staying in his spot (although his wrister is so good that he could rotate to the other side and still be a threat).

Kent and Gaudreau could both absolutely play up on the point. Could do some funky rotation kinda stuff down the right side if you had those two and Voracek on the same unit, with Boone netfront and Laine in the left circle.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Near term we can't go wrong whether he plays center in Cleveland or wing in Columbus this season. I expect that he'll Sillinger his way on to the team though. Of the "bubble" group of forwards he is the best player right now and camp goes how I imagine it will then Larsen will be forced to slot him in over Marchenko, Bemstrom, Foudy and Chinakhov. I think he may be best served playing with Gaudreau or Voracek rather than be put on a line where he needs to do a ton of heavy lifting. He obviously has the mind and sense to play with those guys already. I can certainly envision him as the 4th best wing on the team behind 13, 29 and 93, and mayyybe pushing Jake for 3rd best. I know it was just the WJC but I think he played better than even McTavish in that tournament, and while given their playstyles and how world junior tournaments are played that should have been the case, it was the case. To me Johnson was the best player in the entire tournament.

Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine

Long term I really hope he figures out how to get up to like 190 lbs. I think he would skate faster and be overall more effective at that size. Think back to the play him and Voracek had against Tampa, Voracek had a guy stuck on his back and got the puck to Johnson. If Johnson had the size to add that sort of possession boosting detail to his game he'd be even better in the aggregate. Would open up even more playmaking and scoring opportunities for him.
"Holy 'high expectations' Batman".

Already our fourth best winger...maybe third? There is way more to being a successful top six NHL winger than mad stick skills and a good shot. I certainly hope someday he's a top line forward and a top six at minimum...but coming out of this coming training camp that's way too high expectations. He's got a lot to learn...don't rush it! I have zero issues with him starting the season in Cleveland and letting him develop a bit more before feeding him to the wolves.

Reactions: VT and Cowumbus

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
"Holy 'high expectations' Batman".

Already our fourth best winger...maybe third? There is way more to being a successful top six NHL winger than mad stick skills and a good shot. I certainly hope someday he's a top line forward and a top six at minimum...but coming out of this coming training camp that's way too high expectations. He's got a lot to learn...don't rush it! I have zero issues with him starting the season in Cleveland and letting him develop a bit more before feeding him to the wolves.
Just because I can envision it doesn't mean I expect it. While the tournaments he's played in aren't always good indicators of NHL success, the way he's played in them has shown that he may be ready to step in and contribute to the big club. I can also envision him missing the final cut and starting the year in Cleveland. His 9 NHL games were encouraging to me though, I thought he had some nice moments even back then. Again I'm not saying I expect him to reach that 3rd/4th best winger level this season but I definitely could see it happening. For more context I also think he may play on a line with Voracek or even Gaudreau this year which would definitely boost his production and let his strengths really flourish if either combo clicks.

Also I don't think his shot is anything special. If he will be a contributer this year it will be due to his scanning/vision/ mental map of the ice/positioning. If he scores goals it will be due to smart positioning and timing rather than the shot itself. His skating also has improved a lot since we drafted him.

And for the record I have 0 issue with him starting in Cleveland either. Nothing I write on these boards will change how he does in camp, if he's not ready he's not ready. Where Kent Johnson plays is (mostly) up to Kent Johnson and Brad Larsen.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Let him play center please
I wish for it too but I also wish Johnson had a shooting option on his line. Maybe even flip Chinakhov and Voracek because Roslovic and Johnson have weirdly looked good together.

Id like to see Gaudreau-Johnson-Bjorkstrand... I mean Danforth for a game or 2 but doubtful it happens. I only say Danforth to have that backup faceoff option and can fill the role Jenner does from the middle. Id be a but fearful of the size of that line but there is so much skill I dont think it would matter.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
0AB95A13-7BE4-4D8C-BABA-076BA008DD1C.jpeg

I spy KJ

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Kind of funny to go back and read the first few pages of this.

Anyone not think he’s a blue chipper yet?
9 points in 15GP, top 5 in scoring on the team.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Probably still quite far from a finished product as a player but there's been a lot to like in his game this season. I really appreciate the competitiveness in defensive side of things, for example the second and third efforts with every stick check and sneaky one-handed stick lifts. Feels as night and day difference to guys who prefer to swing sticks carelessly on the shin pads of opponent or something and just "accept" the lost possession (Roslovic comes to mind...).

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He was a blue chipper when he was drafted.

People in here thought he wasn’t, and they were wrong.
He's played what, 15 games? Not saying he's not a blue chipper. But he's always been seen as a major boom/bust guy. If he hits, he could be one of the best from the draft. I think he's gotta good chance of succeeding, but let's hold off for another 50-100 games before we start with the I told you so's

We've had our fair share of kids tear it up only to never come close again, Filatov, Mason, Wennberg come to mind.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
He's played what, 15 games? Not saying he's not a blue chipper. But he's always been seen as a major boom/bust guy. If he hits, he could be one of the best from the draft. I think he's gotta good chance of succeeding, but let's hold off for another 50-100 games before we start with the I told you so's
I told you so regarding him being a blue chipper is much different than I told you so that he’s a 1C.
We've had our fair share of kids tear it up only to never come close again, Filatov, Mason, Wennberg come to mind.
Yep, hopefully Sillinger isn’t on that list too. He is someone that people were saying was a borderline blue chipper when he was drafted :laugh:

I am still not convinced.
That he’s a blue chip prospect?

4th ranked prospect in NHL
7th ranked prospect in NHL
8th ranked prospect in NHL

Top 10 u23 prospects are blue chippers. Aka untouchables.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I told you so regarding him being a blue chipper is much different than I told you so that he’s a 1C.

Yep, hopefully Sillinger isn’t on that list too. Someone that people were saying was a borderline blue chipper when he was drafted :laugh:

That he’s a blue chip prospect?

4th ranked prospect in NHL
7th ranked prospect in NHL
8th ranked prospect in NHL

Top 10 u23 prospects are blue chippers. Aka untouchables.
Never debated that he wasn’t a top prospect. He is. I just don’t think he’s a blue chipper. When I think of blue chip prospects, they are can’t miss top end prospects. Some recently (or semi recent) examples are Pietrangelo, Eichel, Dahlin, Svechnikov, Mcdavid, matthews etc

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Never debated that he wasn’t a top prospect. He is. I just don’t think he’s a blue chipper. When I think of blue chip prospects, they are can’t miss top end prospects. Some recently (or semi recent) examples are Pietrangelo, Eichel, Dahlin, Svechnikov, Mcdavid, matthews etc
IMO blue-chipper is about a top 20ish prospect in the world, a guy that is untouchable. Teams that draft them expect them to have a (relatively) immediate impact.

For example, in football a blue-chipper is usually a top100 4 or 5 star recruit. Not only Trevor Lawrence and Caleb Williams. There are blue chip camps where they invite the top recruits - hockey does this too.

I’d say all the guys you listed above would be considered blue-chippers, and a few of them franchise talents.

Reactions: stevo61

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
IMO blue-chipper is about a top 20ish prospect in the world, a guy that is untouchable. Teams that draft them expect them to have a (relatively) immediate impact.

For example, in football a blue-chipper is usually a top100 4 or 5 star recruit. Not only Trevor Lawrence and Caleb Williams. There are blue chip camps where they invite the top recruits - hockey does this too.

I’d say all the guys you listed above would be considered blue-chippers, and a few of them franchise talents.
I guess I just equate blue chippers as the franchise talents. The guys who can’t miss.

KJ is definitely a top prospect though. I think we can all agree there

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hes on pace for 50+ points playing 3rd line minutes with a revolving door of linemates. He was seen as the highest offesnsive potential player from his draft but had a few concerns. After 1 season of college hockey, tournaments and a short offseason hes improved on every single one of his deficiencies to varying amounts, some of them significantly. Sounds like a blue chipper to me. The fact many of us said he looked better as a center is just a cherry on top and I think its just a matter of time before he takes a center job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad