The Justin Schultz Sweepstakes

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
How any American teams are still mentioned I do not understand. Even McKenzie said he is likely to want to go and play for a Canadian Team. IMO only way of him ending up on an American team is if no Canadian team wants him. Yeah chances of that are pretty high I am sure.

That being said, only way I won't loath him for the rest of his career is if he goes with the Habs. They still need someone in their Top 4 and there argueably is no franchise more highly decorated than Montreal.

However I think his list looks like that:

1. Vancouver. If he and his family are fans, they have to be considered front runners, especially so close to a cup run. They would free up a Top 4 position for him if he wanted to sign there.

2. Edmonton. Strongest argument has to be the young core. I would dismiss the idea of him just signing there because he likes to go there on vacation.

3. Montreal. As written above - need for a Top 4 and most decorated franchise in the NHL. Could be an important piece in quick turnaround of the franchise. Likely wouldn't have to go through a lot of losing next season either unlike with EDM or TOR.

4. Toronto. Yeah, yeah I know Gardiner plays there. Other than that, their team looks shaky atm and anger & pressure from fans and media is rising. And they are the furtherst away from a good playoff run IMO. Do you want to face the media next March and explain why you didn't make it to the playoffs?

5. Calgary. If playing close to home is important to him, Flames could be an option. They will rebuild soon IMO, he would have to be the foundation of such a rebuild. I'd imagine he won't be too interested in spending 2-4 years rebuilding.

6. Winnipeg. I can't think of one reason for him to go there. No rib at the Jets, but I really have read nothing that would point in their direction.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
How any American teams are still mentioned I do not understand. Even McKenzie said he is likely to want to go and play for a Canadian Team. IMO only way of him ending up on an American team is if no Canadian team wants him. Yeah chances of that are pretty high I am sure.

That being said, only way I won't loath him for the rest of his career is if he goes with the Habs. They still need someone in their Top 4 and there argueably is no franchise more highly decorated than Montreal.

However I think his list looks like that:

1. Vancouver. If he and his family are fans, they have to be considered front runners, especially so close to a cup run. They would free up a Top 4 position for him if he wanted to sign there.

2. Edmonton. Strongest argument has to be the young core. I would dismiss the idea of him just signing there because he likes to go there on vacation.

3. Montreal. As written above - need for a Top 4 and most decorated franchise in the NHL. Could be an important piece in quick turnaround of the franchise. Likely wouldn't have to go through a lot of losing next season either unlike with EDM or TOR.

4. Toronto. Yeah, yeah I know Gardiner plays there. Other than that, their team looks shaky atm and anger & pressure from fans and media is rising. And they are the furtherst away from a good playoff run IMO. Do you want to face the media next March and explain why you didn't make it to the playoffs?

5. Calgary. If playing close to home is important to him, Flames could be an option. They will rebuild soon IMO, he would have to be the foundation of such a rebuild. I'd imagine he won't be too interested in spending 2-4 years rebuilding.

6. Winnipeg. I can't think of one reason for him to go there. No rib at the Jets, but I really have read nothing that would point in their direction.
How's that? Is Bergevin just going to snap his fingers and fix things?

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
If he likes to visit Edmonton, then come to Vancouver. Visiting Edmonton 3 times a year (at least) is probably more then he ever has in a year, even then he has all summer to go "visit" even more! On top of that he gets to live near his family and play for likely his favourite child-hood team.

Win-win.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
That being said, it will still be incredibly difficult for the Oilers to lure him away from a bigger market team like Toronto. Especially when you consider one of his good friends (Jake Gardiner) is the focal point on Toronto's blue line for the future.

This is the reason people are occasionally annoyed with the posts of some Leafs fans (trying to say that in such a way as to not pick a fight or come off as trolling) - they talk of the city and team as if it's some paradise. There's nothing inherently attractive about a bigger market team for everyone, nor is there any reason a young player trying to crack an NHL roster for the first time would deliberately choose a team that's strong at his position over one where he'd more easily gain a role, nor is the Toronto sports media kind to young Leafs players - he'd be crowned the savior of the franchise and then 20 games in they'd be trashing his every step. Your second sentence may be true but the first is beyond ridiculous.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010

hamhuis, edler, bieksa, tanev/ballard. no top 4 for him imo to add to it the canucks will be going for an experienced dmen who can help them now. more than likely edm/tor

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Neither Tanev or Ballard are considered top 4. Ballard, if anything, is a salary they may have to bury. Has played top 4 on in a pinch and has been a healthy scratch even in the playoffs. Tanev would likely be behind Schultz at this point and certainly hasn't established top 4 credentials. Salo was clearly in their top 4 and he is a free agent. Who knows where Schultz goes but there is certainly an open top 4 spot to compete for on the Canucks.

jughead42*

I think people are reading too much into what this kid said in his pre-draft survey about Edmonton. I've filled out surveys before, and when there's a question you just put in an answer to fill all the blanks. They asked what his favorite place to visit was, and he said Edmonton for the sake of having an answer. It doesn't mean anything about his decision on where he's going to live for the next few years. Maybe the kid just likes the roller coaster at the mall, or maybe he got lucky with a puck bunny in Edmonton at a pee wee tournament or something. It's a huge stretch to go from "I like to visit Edmonton as an 18yo kid" to "I want to live and play in Edmonton for my NHL career as an adult." If this guy signs with Edmonton we might as well just lay down and wait for the coming apocalypse, because it's a sure sign we're done.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
For what it's worth:

I’m told Justin Schultz has interest in Philly. Still unlikely he signs with #Flyers tho.
-DLeed

Guy is a good writer with sources. But I do agree with him, dont think he would head to Philly. Would be hilarious though after all the fighting between Canucks, Leafs and Oilers of which team he is going to :)

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
I doubt he goes to Toronto, there is a big logjam at the Blue line now that Riley have been added, if he choose Toronto he should be aware that there will be a lot of players he'll have to fight with for a spot.

People really need to stop saying this. The chances that Rielly is on would be on any NHL team's roster after 18 games in his draft year is highly unlikely, and even more so on Toronto, IMO.

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
I think people are reading too much into what this kid said in his pre-draft survey about Edmonton. I've filled out surveys before, and when there's a question you just put in an answer to fill all the blanks. They asked what his favorite place to visit was, and he said Edmonton for the sake of having an answer. It doesn't mean anything about his decision on where he's going to live for the next few years. Maybe the kid just likes the roller coaster at the mall, or maybe he got lucky with a puck bunny in Edmonton at a pee wee tournament or something. It's a huge stretch to go from "I like to visit Edmonton as an 18yo kid" to "I want to live and play in Edmonton for my NHL career as an adult." If this guy signs with Edmonton we might as well just lay down and wait for the coming apocalypse, because it's a sure sign we're done.
Link?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
People really need to stop saying this. The chances that Rielly is on would be on any NHL team's roster after 18 games in his draft year is highly unlikely, and even more so on Toronto, IMO.

Agreed. A lot of people seem to think Luke Schenn was rushed into the NHL, he was a fifth overall pick from Western Canada so I truly don't see history repeating itself. With that said, Brian Burke has made weirder decisions in his time around the league.

I think Schultz would want to play with Jake Gardiner more than he'd be scared of a kid coming off knee surgery. With that said, joining Edmonton at this point looks like an amazing opportunity. It's a two horse, neck & neck race until MacKenzie or Dreger tell me otherwise IMO.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
For what it's worth:

-DLeed

Guy is a good writer with sources. But I do agree with him, dont think he would head to Philly. Would be hilarious though after all the fighting between Canucks, Leafs and Oilers of which team he is going to :)

Wow he's not saying much. He has interest in Philly, but probably won't sign here. That's really going out on a limb.

mhiggins27

Nov 23, 2009
Halifax, NS
www.twitter.com
I doubt we see Schultz sign anywhere until July 6th. He turns 22 on the 6th, so he would only have to sign a two-year entry-level deal rather than a three-year. He'll probably announce where he's going before then, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad