Post-Game Talk: The Juggernaut vs Fred Flinstone: Caps @ Isles 7:07PM (mod note in OP, all read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I thought tonight was Schmidt's worst game in a while. He was pretty bad.

Orpik looked very solid. And Orlov is turning into a stud.

When Orlov started as a Cap I thought he was a defensive version of Ovechkin. Maybe overstating a bit, but that dynamic. I think the rust and injury issues are slowly melting away and revealing that promise.

fingers crossed....

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's pretty damn good. He's so smooth with the puck and he's built like a brick **** house. His decision making is the biggest question mark and it looks like he's improving there. He could be a key factor in the playoffs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
When Orlov started as a Cap I thought he was a defensive version of Ovechkin. Maybe overstating a bit, but that dynamic. I think the rust and injury issues are slowly melting away and revealing that promise.

fingers crossed....

Orr already retired...;)

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
What I liked tonight compared to the win vs the Kings is how structured we were through 60 minutes. We "stick to the script".

Felt like The Undertaker and The Candy Man had a baby...I actually laughed when they tied it like, "yes, more hockey".... The Caps are displaying athletic arrogance at it's finest.
They just need to bottle this style of play for the second season. We lulled them to sleep with dominance...and as soon as the outcome was in "doubt" we put them back to bed...

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Was impressed with Orlov and Bura tonite. Skated great, carried puck well. Bura was good maintaining possession in O-zone and eating up clock in 3rd. 19 played key part on 2 goals. The roster is deep.

I saw just the end of the 2nd and 3rd periods. So missed on Orly's domination, but Bura was something special. It's mind blowing how he is successful on pressuring the opposition D in O zone, he just simply skates toward them and creates havoc and from nothing there is a scoring chance or puck possession

74 doesn't feed Ovie correctly on PP. Too often puck is bouncing or in his skates or on the backhand even.

74 hasn't been himself after returning, can't create anything in O zone.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
if i did it right (and i could be wrong) 12 more points and caps clinch a playoff spot

the Devs are in 9th place with 24 games remaining and 65 points. 24 x 2 + 65 = 113 maximum points. 113 - the 88 points we have = 25 points for us to tie that number or 26 to surpass their max total.

So 26 to secure a playoff spot.
33 to secure the division
34 to secure the conference
39 to secure the presidents.

If I did this right. :yo:

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
the Devs are in 9th place with 24 games remaining and 65 points. 24 x 2 + 65 = 113 maximum points. 113 - the 88 points we have = 25 points for us to tie that number or 26 to surpass their max total.

So 26 to secure a playoff spot.
33 to secure the division
34 to secure the conference
39 to secure the presidents.

If I did this right. :yo:

I think it's a little more complexed then that. Teams take points from each other, so if Devs win their last 24 games, another team may not be able to get as many points as them. The same goes for all teams behind the Caps facing each other. Thus requiring less points necessary for the Caps. I do not however wish to dig into that ;) But I do think you're in the ballpark!

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I think it's a little more complexed then that. Teams take points from each other, so if Devs win their last 24 games, another team may not be able to get as many points as them. The same goes for all teams behind the Caps facing each other. Thus requiring less points necessary for the Caps. I do not however wish to dig into that ;) But I do think you're in the ballpark!

To clarify. Those numbers are any combination of the CAPS getting points or the team in question losing points. We play the Devs tomorrow. If we win in regulation the number is reduced by 4 because we got 2 points and the Devs lost 2 points.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Why was I so obsessed with Ovi getting a natural, or even the hat?

I guess until we win a cup....

I see the Isles G pulls a 930 - all the rage now in the oversized pads era, I supposed.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Anyone got the possession stats after the 1st period?

90-10 to Caps seems about right. Islanders got into the Caps zone about 7 times in the last 40 minutes and iced the puck atleast 20 times.

Solid win, but this should have been wrapped up before the 3rd period started.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Think last night proves that Oshie/Backstrom is the "issue". Burt is more or less mini-Ovie in that switch. One game but seemed like the same results for the most part. I'd be more curious to see Williams and Oshie switched. Burt and Ovie are going to shoot, Backstrom and Oshie are going to defer to passing and Kuzy and Wiliams will take what's there.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Think last night proves that Oshie/Backstrom is the "issue". Burt is more or less mini-Ovie in that switch. One game but seemed like the same results for the most part. I'd be more curious to see Williams and Oshie switched. Burt and Ovie are going to shoot, Backstrom and Oshie are going to defer to passing and Kuzy and Wiliams will take what's there.

Disagree. I thought 19-77 had a much heavier forecheck paired with 65 and each had shots. I love Ovie, of course, but unless he's throwing a big hit, he's soft along the boards and on the cycles.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Anyone got the possession stats after the 1st period?

90-10 to Caps seems about right. Islanders got into the Caps zone about 7 times in the last 40 minutes and iced the puck atleast 20 times.

Solid win, but this should have been wrapped up before the 3rd period started.

Caps 57% in the dot vs. Isles 43%, Oshie 70%, Richards 67%, MAJO 60%. After Fehr losing the faceoff in game 7 against the Rangers last season and more recently Kuz losing to Giroux resulting in a Voracek goal, when the possibility of acquiring a forward at the TDL is being discussed I always look at the discussed players face off stats. Boyd Gordon still looking good as well as Tyler Bozak when it comes to that category. Of course when Beagle returns Caps faceoffs will improve that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad